29er tyres

Spartacus88

Also give the Maxxis Ikon EXO's a try. Great reviews on the net. 29x2.2 with the EXO casing - 575g. But the only snag.... NO bloody stock in the whole of SA!

I don't see the point of giving an importer sole distribution rights for a product.....and then they are out of stock for the majority of the year! Sorry for the rant.....but the SA cycling importers should catch a wake up!

So let's wait.... I'm waiting for stock. Let's try and do the "proudly SA thing"....and buy local. Christmas is also coming....

+1

Maxxis Aspen Exception Front & Ikon Exo Exception at the back :thumbup:

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the Aspens that I converted to tubeless....if the pressure were to low then it pops out, however I must admit....it is a awesome fast tire!!

I will be investing in some Maxxis Ikons soon as I just think it is a better overall tire.

Anyone with experience with the Renegades? They don`t seem to have much volume - 1.9 or something, and I am worried about them wearing fast on the rear...

+1 Running Rengade's front and rear (480g if memory serves) and love them, around R500 each.

Also use Kenda Small Block 8's (F+R), light (530g) with slightly more grip than the Renegade. Can't remember the price.

Running both Tubeless with Stans no punctures ever, as in I've never had a flat!

Oh and for a cheaper option Conti Race Kings are good for R300, around 650g.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/103259-lightweight-29er-tyres/page__st__20__p__1404906__fromsearch__1#entry1404906

Edited by Eraser

Anyone with experience with the Renegades? They don`t seem to have much volume - 1.9 or something, and I am worried about them wearing fast on the rear...

They are light and fast, I am using them on my geared bike, they are OK'ish.

The Maxxis Crossmark's are far from light but oh so great.

tried the Hutch pyhtons 2.1...CRAP!

tried the conti race kings 2.2...CRAP!

so the only ones I have been happy with side wall etc...is the Racing Ralphs

Erm....I have Ralphs on now and is a great tyre, but on the rear it wears just a bit fast and is overkill in grip in the summer where I ride, I might just keep a Ralph on the front, but for the rear I want something even faster. I want to try the Aspen front and rear cause it is just super fast - Aspens roll faster than Ralphs, Ikons and Crossmarks. The perfect tyre for me would be an Aspen Exo set up tubeless, but these dont exist. I`m leaning towards Aspen rear with a lightweight tube, and a tubed Ralph or Aspen front. Any point in having a tubeless front and a tubed rear? If I could only lay my hands on a Stans Raven for the rear....

racing ralph(snake skin -thicker sidewall therefor heavier,evo lighter option) front and small block 8 back, so far so good. wanting to get fast traks from spec. but they never have stock...ikons look fast but not a maxiss fan, seen to much tits in my life...b.t.w we have ikons 29er in stock for those moaning!!! :thumbup:

racing ralph(snake skin -thicker sidewall therefor heavier,evo lighter option) front and small block 8 back, so far so good. wanting to get fast traks from spec. but they never have stock...ikons look fast but not a maxiss fan, seen to much tits in my life...b.t.w we have ikons 29er in stock for those moaning!!! :thumbup:

Hey Vulgar do you have any Aspens in stock? (For me there is no comparison with SB8, the Aspen wins by far. The Ikon competes with the Ralph on the front and the Ralph just wins out for the front. Ikon on the rear is great for wet but I need something faster for the summer)

Geax Barro Race maybe ?

Running my 3rd set of Aspens on the 26" and really love them so 29 should also rock.

Interesting you say the Ikon rolls slower, looking at images of the tread I thought it's lower profile and would be faster than the Aspen.

• 3 months later...

Hello hubsters

I am struggling to find a good 29er tubeless 2.2. It seems that most brands only offer 2.1s and I find 2.2 just have far superior grip. I like the crossmark but they only come in 2.1! What should I look for?

Thanks

Check the Geax Saguaro or the WTB Wolverine both are made in a 2.2. The geax is TNT and the new wolverine is UST

Edited by FeO