Why are MTB races so poorly attended

Natural Defender

Everywhere you read or hear, mountain biking is a booming sport. The bike shops sell small ranges of road bikes. All the talk is 29 vs 26 inch wheels. It is all about mountain bikes.........or is it?

So where are all these dudes and dolls at the races?

Road races are pulling thousands of entries per week.

At last weekends mtb events at both Redstone and USN there were a few hundred between them. This figure was obtained by looking at the results.

Both these events were close to "Josie", so travelling is not an issue. I did the 60km USN race, it was great. The route and single track brilliant, organisation was out of the top draw. The venue very comfortable, the vibe great. But so much work for so few entries.

Why are entries so low at mountain bike events?

Are the new mountain bikes just fashion items that are bragged about on road rides?

What are your thoughts. Anthony

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its great yes, keeps the trails nice n fresh for us.

:thumbup:

Maybe it's just because many MTBers aren't hung up about "racing". We're more interested in having fun, in many cases.

I haven't been to a "race" in many months, last year I think I only rode two. Besides, most of our local "races" aren't really that. They're congested pedalling funride affairs on boring dirt roads.

Maybe it's just because many MTBers aren't hung up about "racing". We're more interested in having fun, in many cases.

+1 Martin, I think you are right. The "just ride" part of Mtbiking is growing faster than the "racing" part.

@ Defender

I've seen the opposite in my neck of the woods (the Cape).

Mtb events have grown so much that they are often too large and that spoil the ride for me (if I want to be stuck in peak hour traffic, I just have to go to work). There are also many more Mtb events than a few years ago.

The numbers at road events have stayed very static or in some cases even declined. New road events have also not sprung up all over the calender.

Its also about the event brands - there are many on the calender here that are well established and have good reputations, and are very well supported, like the NIssan series, LIonman and others. And make a plan and do some of the MTN series, well worth the travelling, very high quality events. Yes, its more about quality than quantity. Also MTB will never have roadie numbers, its a different game completely.

I was very much into raod racing,but note anymore.... Now I just ride my MTB at events.....much nicer than 'having to show you my new expensive bike ad btw,my new cycling gear too'.

Are the new mountain bikes just fashion items that are bragged about on road rides?

you will see a crapload of mtbs racing at xterra next weekend....surprising how few of these guys will do mtb races

Imho. The main reason I, like many others attend a mtb "race" is not to compete, but rather to ride somewhere you could not usually ride, spend a day with your mates, use it as an outing for the better halves and spend time outdoors.

Its not about cadence, heart rate, check out my new kit, did you see my last 4 km sprint in 5 mins, my gps says we have an average speed of 32km/h so pick pick it up boys, it not to show off our freshly shaved legs and last but not least it not to have a chop measuring contests.

So to sum it up, if we miss a race, we will go look for another dirt trail that will bring just as much joy and friendship!

Personally for me its becoming too expensive, for myself and my partner it will cost over R300 odd in entries alone for one race. Then I still need to travel, buy some cold drinks and food etc, so before you know it that R300 has become R450-500, so its one race every so often for me! Rather spend the money on well known races such as the Nissan events, Magalies Monster and Xterra and keep my bike maintained and have beer in the fridge.

But then again I live in Magalies and have some great riding available to me on neighbouring farms where I don't have to fight to get on the tracks(!) so I don't feel the need to 'escape' the city and get some riding in.

I also think some of these races badly organised (such as the one I did a few years back from Bekker Skool, poorly organised and marked) so maybe people are more sceptical of entering new events until they have proven themseleves or have a bad taste from a previous event they entered and felt let down by.

I'm kinda happy with the numbers of entries in most races at the moment. MTB is much different than road ie you don't have single track on road. Don't let race numbers bother you just go out enjoy the event and make the best of it. :)

Not sure what road events cost, but the price of some of the MTB events I've looked at probably have a great deal to do with low numbers

Also race organizers holding races on same weekend and day, Last year there was one weekend when there were 4 races held in Pta/Jhb.

Everywhere you read or hear, mountain biking is a booming sport. The bike shops sell small ranges of road bikes. All the talk is 29 vs 26 inch wheels. It is all about mountain bikes.........or is it?

So where are all these dudes and dolls at the races?

Road races are pulling thousands of entries per week.

At last weekends mtb events at both Redstone and USN there were a few hundred between them. This figure was obtained by looking at the results.

Both these events were close to "Josie", so travelling is not an issue. I did the 60km USN race, it was great. The route and single track brilliant, organisation was out of the top draw. The venue very comfortable, the vibe great. But so much work for so few entries.

It is just getting tooooooooo!!!! expensive when one has to fork out for two or more entries. Then some events are badly organised with a lot of bottle necks, not my idea of fun. Imagine mountain biking with the same amount of entries as road, it would probably be total chaos. I would rather save that money and put it towards a weekend away to Mankele or Misty valley. Just my two cents worth. ;)

Demand vs Supply, I’d say. There aren’t that many road races with full road closure on the calendar, therefore the massive demand needs to be catered for by the small supply of races. Many “road cyclists” I know only do two races a year; Argus and 94.7. Then, there are almost an MTB race every week and so allot more races to cater for the demand. It’s also not an issue if you can’t make a race as you’ll just catch the next one in a week’s time.

Everywhere you read or hear, mountain biking is a booming sport. The bike shops sell small ranges of road bikes. All the talk is 29 vs 26 inch wheels. It is all about mountain bikes.........or is it? So where are all these dudes and dolls at the races? Road races are pulling thousands of entries per week. At last weekends mtb events at both Redstone and USN there were a few hundred between them. This figure was obtained by looking at the results. Both these events were close to "Josie", so travelling is not an issue. I did the 60km USN race, it was great. The route and single track brilliant, organisation was out of the top draw. The venue very comfortable, the vibe great. But so much work for so few entries. Why are entries so low at mountain bike events? Are the new mountain bikes just fashion items that are bragged about on road rides? What are your thoughts. Anthony

Uhm ... the USN mtb race received way too many entries as we had to stand in rows and walk for long stretches during the race.

We enjoy races were there are less people attending as it tends to be more enjoyable and there are less of the more serious riders that tend to be very rude and full of themselves during races. I also have to agree that the races are becoming very expensive as well.

Can most definately recommend Mankele for a weekend away and even Hennops for a fun ride and braai day.