Why are MTB races so poorly attended

Natural Defender

For me it all about cost. Nowadays an entry is R150 or so, then there's the aggro of getting a CSA licence or paying R35 each time so I'll rather just go for a wander down farm roads to Bapsfontein at my leisure and do a race if its close to home and interesting enough for me to want to do it.

The venue must also have somewhere for my much loved, non-riding girlfriend to sit, read and have a cup of tea until I get back!!

I'll never win a race so for me racing is all about personal goals. Nothing more, nothing less as long as I finish in the top 1/3rd of my category!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are all the fun races? I mean enduro, ds, 4x , eliminator etc. The kind of races where bike skill counts as much as fitness. If I want to prove how much training I have done then I can do the Argus and boast about my time. I wanna have fun on the bike. Enduro racing seems like as close to real mtb riding as I can think of.

interesting point you raise there - these days it's ALL about fitness and skill doesn't count.

try riding for quality instead of quantity, you'd be surprised how much fun it becomes when you dont have to keep to an average and force yourself to complete a pre-determined distance!

which begs the question, why race at all?

it seems the natural progression is:

1. newby - no skills , no fitness, lots of enthusiasm which leads to the next level

2. racer - limited skills , fitness increasing, hence the desire to compete

3. recreational - lots of skill and fitness, no need to prove it to the world anymore by racing

Edited by kamikaze

I am new to MTB and what has put me off from the word go is the fact that I have to have a CSA membership, then a race license and I have to be a member of a province or club. I am new to JHB as I have recently moved here and have not yet settled down so I don`t know any clubs or which club to join.

:thumbup:

Maybe it's just because many MTBers aren't hung up about "racing". We're more interested in having fun, in many cases.

I haven't been to a "race" in many months, last year I think I only rode two. Besides, most of our local "races" aren't really that. They're congested pedalling funride affairs on boring dirt roads.

I have to agree with you. I started MTB because I was tired of cars narrowly missing me. I started bike riding with a BMX and MTB to me was a progression as well. However I love it for me, just for riding, I dont feel the need to compete, How do you judge who is better? by seeing who goes faster down a hill, or who can do the best tricks? I love because I can do all of this at my own pace, and if I wanna I can redo a section without having to worry about time. I have only done one event and to me, it was overcrowded, expensive and a dissapointing route. The route reminded me of a road race, but of course it was not tarred

I am new to MTB and what has put me off from the word go is the fact that I have to have a CSA membership, then a race license and I have to be a member of a province or club. I am new to JHB as I have recently moved here and have not yet settled down so I don`t know any clubs or which club to join.

Have a look at JMBC, they have various groups and do rides practically every weekend of the year.

Anthony.

Simple: There are too many...races that is.

We choose a few of the good and proven every year, and then we just try and beat my last time. Most of all we go to have fun.... :w00t:

Strange how some races with awesome riding and vibe are poorly attended and some with same are over populated.

One of my faves in KZN is Illovo Eston. Up to 3000+ attendance, so things sometimes get a little slow on the ST. But still a great race with a great vibe.

@ El Dodgius Bastardo

I do not want to pay a arm an a leg for club fees as I just need the club membership to get my CSA membership.

The next question is If i do MTB events is it ok just to just have the CSA membership or do I need the CSA Membership and the Race license?

Where are all the fun races?

I have fun all the time - otherwise what's the point? Fun as in enjoying nature, finishing the event, helping others out en-route, random chats, and keeping one step ahead of the grim sweeper.

What I meant by fun was railing corners, hitting small jumps and rollers and generally having the kind of ride where you end up laughing out loud on the trail! Those who have ridden G spot in Stellenbosch will know what I mean. But as long as you are enjoying yourself then that's great too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that many MTbers are now actually training for the World funride champs ROAD RACE( aka the Argus) so number will be dwindling. LOL

@ El Dodgius Bastardo

I do not want to pay a arm an a leg for club fees as I just need the club membership to get my CSA membership.

The next question is If i do MTB events is it ok just to just have the CSA membership or do I need the CSA Membership and the Race license?

JMBC is probably the cheapest in terms of clubs @R250 per annum. Add CSA on top of that and you don't need a race license.

:thumbup:

Maybe it's just because many MTBers aren't hung up about "racing". We're more interested in having fun, in many cases.

I haven't been to a "race" in many months, last year I think I only rode two. Besides, most of our local "races" aren't really that. They're congested pedalling funride affairs on boring dirt roads.

My attitude as well - have been on too many fun races where the crowds clog the bottlenecks and good singletrack is rendered meaningless by the walkers and fallers. I generally have more fun doing a loop at Tokai or elsewhere. Plus I am not as fit as I used to be :mellow:

I used to do races so that I could experience different trails, routes and terrain. Since then, places like Oak Valley, Welvanpas, Tygerberg, Bottelary, Schapenberg etc have opened and I've also met up with people who know the trails at places like Jonkers and Tokai (no fun if you don't know where the singletrack is). I can now choose between so many varied trails, there is no need to attend races.

I think one of the big factors is the quantity of mtb races these days. There are so many that people pick and chose and attend the best ones. Some weekends, we will have 3 races all within an hours drive.

ROAG, R57 membership, CGC R75 and CSA R75 total R207, you can race both road and MTB including provincials.

https://www.roag.co.za/about/join-club-roag.aspx

Two of my mates that have just started MTBIng,and can barley ride 15km want to go racing this weekend cause another mate has convinced them its the things to do.