@#$%&* Inconsiderate Cyclist's!!

Wannabe

You don't get it do you?

It is not for cyclists to tell motorists what they are doing wrong, it is for cyclists to tell cyclists they are effing it up for everybody with their ignorance. I have on several occasions recommended that a kid is buckled up. I have tapped on doors/windows/bonnets indicating that "that little move was dangerous!" or whatever. I have no shame telling the transgressor when they are wrong, but this is not about that.. please understand.

You started with the name calling....and you dont seem to get it either......I am not saying that a cyclist should tell a motorist.....but are you ever a motorist? As a motorist do you then tell your fellow motorist what they are doing wrong?

What have you achieved by telling someone to buckle up? Nothing?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Andy & Niner.

With you on the Campsbay thing, do the same for the same reasons. But I stop at the Robots, etc on the way when I catch them red. :D ;)

By your admission.

HuH? And you have never done something wrong ? Illegal? like cross the white line in a PPA race?

@ Andy & Niner.

With you on the Campsbay thing, do the same for the same reasons. But I stop at the Robots, etc on the way when I catch them red. :D ;)

On that robot thing....I do not stop(well not dead standing still stop ) at that robot when you come towards town into Camps bay....it is a T-junction and with the traffic up ahead I find it safer to check, roll and then get in the lane....IF no cars are comming from the right....that way I can MAKE sure the car stopping at the red light has seen me and will not pust past me and "crush" me into the cars on the left....

Now you can not tell me that it is safer to stop at THAT red light...I have tried it and every time the car on the my right does not seem to see me or ignore me on purpose.....My way feels safer.

And I DO NOT endanger anyones live.

Niner, you are jaded by your defense. I am not even sure you are understanding what you are reading.

Yes, I'll say it in clear english. I do as a motorist tell other motorists they are endangering mine and my child's life with the disregard for rules, those rules designed to keep all on the road safe.

You as a cyclist, do you ever have any regard for the perception your actions have on the opinion among motorists?

Niner, at that Robot I stop in the middle of the lane, so that a car cannot squeeze in next to me. It is my right to do it. I just make sure to move off briskly when the light changes to green, so as not to create a bottleneck. This is when that road is very busy, the traffic normaly flows slowly. When the road is quiet (yes, I've been past there a couple of times when there is few cars around) I keep to the left, as far as is safe, as I do not want to T bone a suddenly opened car door.

Seems like you okes in Cape Town make quite a habit of being a bunch of inconsiderate arseholes on the road.

Left at 07:30 this morning,caught all the cyclists through Tokai forrest,for the first time it was a pleasant experience,,all the way over Ou Kaapse Weg,still not to bad,wait for a marshell(don't know if they where your guy's) to see me in the mirror,pass and greet,on the whole everyone acting civilized,,untill Misty Cliffs,cycle comming in the oppersit direction,looked like the "pro's"FILLING the roadway +_ 20 or 30 deep with marshels riding in the face of oncomming traffic(me) and preventing vehicles from passing,hooting and sceaming(I was doing less than 40kph,I would have heard him talking)at me to slow down,they where wearing think bike vests,if it wasn't your guy's somebody is giving you a bad name,if I was ridding my bike I would have turned around and pulled him off,literally if he didn't stop,anyway I didn't let it spoil my ride,and the rest of the ride was very enjoyable,,big "thank you" to all the cyclists that were civil and F$#K the rest of you.

I hope I fully insulted those of you in the wrong,wish I could meet you face to face but I won't bank on cowerds owning up.Now i'm jumping in the pool,,,,cheers

I can still remember when I started cycling about 8 years go with a cheap mountain bike, tekkies, t-shirt and cycling pants; there was this unbelievable friendliness and camaraderie between cyclist. I felt like I was part of well behave community. There was these unritten rules that the more senior cyclist taught me like if you're at the back of a bunch and a car is approuching you shout and everybody will move like blitz to single file and wave to the motorist. Getting to a robot or stop you parked off had a chat or see for how long you can amaze the motorist by balancing on your bike lol. I guess those were the days when cycling was still fun.

if you really have the need to skip red robots and stops take part in the ppa events with semi closed off intersections.these days the ppa events and the cycling lane next to the brt lane is the savest way for cycling.

it take one hulligan cyclist at a time to change a motorist into a neggative cyclist killind driver and hondreds to cnange that motorist to a possitive friendly to cyclist driver.

MAKE A POSSITIVE DIFFERENCE

Edited by Fubar

where do you guys get all these red robots? are they some of thesehttp://www.kewlwallpapers.com/images/wallpapers/Transformers-Optimus-Prime-theme-682-972528.jpeg

Niner, at that Robot I stop in the middle of the lane, so that a car cannot squeeze in next to me. It is my right to do it. I just make sure to move off briskly when the light changes to green, so as not to create a bottleneck. This is when that road is very busy, the traffic normaly flows slowly. When the road is quiet (yes, I've been past there a couple of times when there is few cars around) I keep to the left, as far as is safe, as I do not want to T bone a suddenly opened car door.

I used to do that, only to get hooted at and signalled to get left...anyway I like the way the debate is going now....

Now we discussed problem areas and see what solution different people have...that is better and more constructive rather than just plain name calling etc.

Are you on your own when you do that? Or in a group? I assume that the bigger the group the better?

BTW the other big gripe "normal" people have with us is the way we block all entrance to Vida in Camps bay road with our bicycles.....so if you want to improve the image of cyclist...lets address those issues also.

Maybe it is not the Red light skipping that irritates the drives but the fact that they could not get their coffee and hence the next cyclist they see they want to scare them?

The "thank you" wave to motorists should be part of all our rides.

It costs nothing and buys goodwill.

Edited by Blokman

:thumbup:

I quite like the thank you rise of the hand, whether to other cyclists or cars behind me passing which had to wait for whatever reason. I always say - the most disarming thing is a wave and a genuine smile.

Do we have a convert? I'll happily retract my "name calling". Seen that you are starting to understand goodwill and what it can do for a community.

Check Fubar, in one post says everything that has taken 5 pages to convey. Well done mate, making those posts count eh, quality over quantity.

I don't subscribe to the "if I can't beat them, join them" attitude... instead the "few individuals can make a difference" seems to hold deeper meaning to me. Apologies if you took offence. Glad to see you are reasoning this out.

:)

Guest Omega Man

This is just me so feel free to disagree. I think because the Argus is coming up there are more cyclists out training so that's got our eye.

I personally don't think it's cyclists. It's our whole society. Every morning I sit in traffic and watch idiot f*&cktards jump into a on-ramp just so they can gain 10 car lengths. The problem is that they are causing people to brake which causes the VERY problem that they are trying to scybe their way around.

Crime. roadrage etc etc are just a symptom of a very sick society. And cyclists that ride 2 and 3 abreast and give you the finger when you hoot are just one of the very many symptoms of a very sick warped and twisted society.