@#$%&* Inconsiderate Cyclist's!!

Wannabe

Yes cyclists can have the Death Wish......have seen it many times.......many of them ARE not considerate of motorists particularly on narrow busy roads......

Then when an accident happens it is almost always regarded as being the motorists fault.

My 2cents.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when somebody new joins the fray and really moves the thread to a whole other level, thank you Scooter69 for your ground breaking post.

:thumbdown:

Maybe we should be challenging the rules.....clearly we can learn from other countries......rather than say this is Africa?

weeclarky is not saying that we should not be considerate to each other?

Yes by Africa I meant that it is not Europe, we have our own rules to follow. How can we want to learn from other countries if we cant follow our own?????? There are reasons for this. Here the roads are narrow, not wide like in most first world countries

I just had to check and double check and check again that this isn't February 2nd. But then I found I'd done that all before, like reading these posts.

post-14151-0-64829600-1328539500.gif

Exactly! So, if people overtook cyclists in a considerate manner, it would be fine if people rode two abreast right? Since then drivers would already leave a safe amount of space (1.5-2m), the other side of the road would be clear, trains of cars wouldn't try to squeeze past when there's no room - and there would be no problems at all. Sweet!

I've never understood this 1.5-2m passing distance really. Many roads that cyclists ride on are not dual carriageway. They are often single roads with a very small yellow line area. Now many road cyclists do not ride in the yellow line anyway as they do not like the debris there (I'm a mountain biker so will take a holier than though stance as I ride as close to the road edge as possible at all times) so if the car was to leave a 2m gap they would need to cross over onto the other side of the road. This would inevitably mean waiting behind the said "two abreast" cyclists at snail's pace while waiting for a gap. Without ever having been in this position myself I can still fully understand how the drivers can get a bit annoyed.

Mountain bikers always seem to have the most to say on these threads, yet spend the least amount of time actually riding on the road. No offense @Clint_ZA and other mtb guys and gals who feel the same, but after a few years of heavy traffic you will realise that riding right on the edge of the shoulder will leave you nowhere to go when somebody inevitably cuts you up round a corner.

You need to claim your space on the road. It's not politeness competition out there. You can offer free rimjobs to every car driver on the road and one of them will still squish you like a bug if you don't keep your eyes peeled for stupidity or needless aggression.

In short, what Eldron said. Be considerate when it's safe to do so, use common sense, be visible and stay alive. Self preservation above all else :thumbup:

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Simple solution...

Ride in single file and be considerate

Take that " I own the road and all motorists owe me something attitude" and chuck it in the bin.

Enjoy your ride

Smile!

If we all did this, there would be no problems

Sorted

Edited by dalem44

I've never understood this 1.5-2m passing distance really. Many roads that cyclists ride on are not dual carriageway. They are often single roads with a very small yellow line area. Now many road cyclists do not ride in the yellow line anyway as they do not like the debris there (I'm a mountain biker so will take a holier than though stance as I ride as close to the road edge as possible at all times) so if the car was to leave a 2m gap they would need to cross over onto the other side of the road. This would inevitably mean waiting behind the said "two abreast" cyclists at snail's pace while waiting for a gap. Without ever having been in this position myself I can still fully understand how the drivers can get a bit annoyed.

You're right it's a problem, especially on narrow but busy roads. I use the "two abreast" mainly as an example of how we should stick up for our rights and am not advocating it for busy roads. But it is a bad habit of most drivers to drive too fast and too close to cyclists. In my experience, the closer I ride to the gutter, the faster and closer people pass me. What I find worse is fast but effectively queuing traffic passing without noticing they are passing a cyclist, as if we are debris on the road.

A1.5-2m rule gives a margin for error, and, if it were the law, would help instil a habit for safe overtaking, and give us some legal backing. Of course it's a huge margin of error for most drivers - but no more excessive that the fact that drivers are supposed to be 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front, or not drinking and driving, and so on. It lessens the probability that an accident will happen, given that most drivers are poor and inattentive.

Sure it's annoying for the drivers - but it's annoying for them to be stuck in traffic in the first place, and that's not my fault. It's annoying for so many single occupancy vehicles to be used, causing traffic jams. It's also annoying being hit by a car.

Edited by weeclarky

You're right it's a problem, especially on narrow but busy roads. I use the "two abreast" mainly as an example of how we should stick up for our rights and am not advocating it for busy roads. But it is a bad habit of most drivers to drive too fast and too close to cyclists. In my experience, the closer I ride to the gutter, the faster and closer people pass me. What I find worse is fast but effectively queuing traffic passing without noticing they are passing a cyclist, as if we are debris on the road.

A1.5-2m rule gives a margin for error, and, if it were the law, would help instil a habit for safe overtaking, and give us some legal backing. Of course it's a huge margin of error for most drivers - but no more excessive that the fact that drivers are supposed to be 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front, or not drinking and driving, and so on. It lessens the probability that an accident will happen, given that most drivers are poor and inattentive.

Sure it's annoying for the drivers - but it's annoying for them to be stuck in traffic in the first place, and that's not my fault. It's annoying for so many single occupancy vehicles to be used, causing traffic jams. It's also annoying being hit by a car.

Great to have someone who obviously spends a lot of time in the traffic making some sense on this thread :thumbup:

Great to have someone who obviously spends a lot of time in the traffic making some sense on this thread :thumbup:

Thanks LL - I was thinking I was on a drivers forum...

Thanks LL - I was thinking I was on a drivers forum...

Do you two not own cars? I have been on both sides and will not just automatically accept one side because of what I do as a hobby.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Do you two not own cars? I have been on both sides and will not just automatically accept one side because if what I do as a hobby.

Of course I own a car bud, I've been driving for twenty years, in several countries around the globe. I don't think I have an extremist point of view. Everything I say is motivated by time spent dodging death in the traffic, here and abroad.

I was not attacking your point of view, merely stating what weeclarky has said himself, if you ride up against the kerb like it's a security blanket you're just inviting the traffic to treat you like an obstacle and somebody will push you into the gutter, you'll get doored, people will turn left in front of you as if you don't exist - nothing good will come of it - I guarantee it. If you want to be part of the traffic and be treated with the same respect as other vehicles you have to claim your place in it.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

I was not attacking your point of view, merely stating what weeclarky has said himself, if you ride up against the kerb like it's a security blanket you're just inviting the traffic to treat you like an obstacle and somebody will push you into the gutter, you'll get doored, people will turn left in front of you as if you don't exist - nothing good will come of it - I guarantee it. If you want to be part of the traffic and be treated with the same respect as other vehicles you have to claim your place in it.

I'm not certain I am fully understanding the alternative then? My naivety would assume that you then mean you ride in the lane and deliberately hold up traffic and make them wait behind you? I'm not sure I know of any other option?

Rather coincidental that after posting here I went on to Facebook and saw someone post this :

"a bunch of cycists, triple riding with a van behind them - illegally!!! Think Bike sticker should rather read 'THINK ROAD'!!!"

The majority of the comments were obviously not too kind to cyclists.

Edited by Clint_ZA

I'm not certain I am fully understanding the alternative then? My naivety would assume that you then mean you ride in the lane and deliberately hold up traffic and make them wait behind you? I'm not sure I know of any other option?

The point is that we're forced to take control of these situations because most drivers are unable to make proper decisions which ensure our safety. That means taking up the road and holding up the traffic if it is not safe for them to pass, moving in when you feel it is safe for them to do so.

Much of this thread seems to be of the opinion that if we are well behaved then everything will be fine. That's simply not the case, and it's time we stood up for ourselves and make it plain that we have a right to be on the road, and we have a right to cycle safely there. Sure, some cyclists are wankers and ride all over the place, but that doesn't negate this point.

It's as if only Weeclarky and Eldron can see the woods for the trees here.

A lot more mutual respect for one another from all sides would go a long way.

Many of those 'first world' countries have narrow country roads with far fewer problems, why, because of the above.

Our road conditions aren't the problem, the road users are.

Rather coincidental that after posting here I went on to Facebook and saw someone post this :

"a bunch of cycists, triple riding with a van behind them - illegally!!! Think Bike sticker should rather read 'THINK ROAD'!!!"

The majority of the comments were obviously not too kind to cyclists.

3 Abreast is stupid and inconsiderate. Likewise, Think Road is indicative of a stupid and inconsiderate 'might is right' attitude that implies bikes are for recreational purposes and are wasting the time of more important road users.

Ride single file where the road is too narrow for double file. I wasn't commenting on single or double file. It seems obvious to me that when you are holding up traffic to maintain a conversation that is an inconsiderate thing to do.

It's also inconsiderate to overtake me with 6 inches between me and your vehicle which is breaking the speed limit, to ignore a yield sign when I am riding towards it at 60km/h, overtake me and cut me up to take a parking space etc etc. All things that happen to me on a weekly basis.

We are not the ones piloting 2 ton deadly weapons. We do have a legal right to be on the road and we should ride accordingly, not go about apologising for being there.

Edited by Lucky Luke.