Rugby...

'Dale

That was the worst AB Performance i can remember. Knock on's galore. I wont be to confident. They will def be 100 times better when the WC starts.

Even with a poor AB performance their stats are still more impressive than the Boks.

ON ATTACK

METRES CARRIED

South Africa - 245

New Zealand - 395

CARRIES

South Africa - 99

New Zealand - 141

DEFENDERS BEATEN

South Africa - 10

New Zealand - 22

CLEAN BREAKS

South Africa - 3

New Zealand - 7

PASSES

South Africa - 103

New Zealand - 207

OFFLOADS

South Africa - 10

New Zealand - 13

POSSESSION

South Africa - 43%

New Zealand - 57%

ON DEFENCE

TACKLES

South Africa - 155

New Zealand - 91

MISSED TACKLES

South Africa - 22

New Zealand - 10

BREAKDOWN

RUCKS WON

South Africa - 74

New Zealand - 109

PENALTIES CONCEDED

South Africa - 11

New Zealand 8

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with a poor AB performance their stats are still more impressive than the Boks.

ON ATTACK

METRES CARRIED

South Africa - 245

New Zealand - 395

CARRIES

South Africa - 99

New Zealand - 141

DEFENDERS BEATEN

South Africa - 10

New Zealand - 22

CLEAN BREAKS

South Africa - 3

New Zealand - 7

PASSES

South Africa - 103

New Zealand - 207

OFFLOADS

South Africa - 10

New Zealand - 13

POSSESSION

South Africa - 43%

New Zealand - 57%

ON DEFENCE

TACKLES

South Africa - 155

New Zealand - 91

MISSED TACKLES

South Africa - 22

New Zealand - 10

BREAKDOWN

RUCKS WON

South Africa - 74

New Zealand - 109

PENALTIES CONCEDED

South Africa - 11

New Zealand 8

Poor performance from both teams. The only thing the boks did well was the rush defense that stymied the NZ back line and overall attack. Bar for the 2 smallest players in the team, our back line was impotent at best, and our attack was as one-dimensional as SA rugby can get - forwards in the back line playing crash ball and not getting over the advantage line. Also, playing way too flat (probably as a result of the defense strategy), our guys are just passing the ball to the next guy, not running one meter forward or drawing in any defenders. You can't win if you're not scoring points.

It's also embarrassing to celebrate the draw like they did. Expectations and standards are obviously low.

It's also embarrassing to celebrate the draw like they did. Expectations and standards are obviously low.

Getting a draw against the all blacks in NZ???? I think that is celebration worthy, also that it was that late in the game.

I don't think it is a walk in the park playing or coaching these days, i think the result was fair, just a pity we did not find the gap in the first half, it was nice watching the attack and defense game from both sides in the first half.

Not the greatest ref day either.

Poor performance from both teams. The only thing the boks did well was the rush defense that stymied the NZ back line and overall attack. Bar for the 2 smallest players in the team, our back line was impotent at best, and our attack was as one-dimensional as SA rugby can get - forwards in the back line playing crash ball and not getting over the advantage line. Also, playing way too flat (probably as a result of the defense strategy), our guys are just passing the ball to the next guy, not running one meter forward or drawing in any defenders. You can't win if you're not scoring points.

Even Rassie considers we were fortunate. Still too many handling errors, penalties given and missed tackles. Basic mistakes. 

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/rassie-admits-boks-were-lucky-to-escape-with-draw-20190728

Edited by scotty

I watched about 10 minutes just after half-time... it was 10-6. I was waiting for everyone to finish up at the showers at a friend’s bachelor party before we left for our next adventure.

In that time, the Bokke were on the AB 22, and played about 10 phases before finding themselves 5 meters from the hallway line. They then kicked the ball away, the ABs kick into touch, resulting in a lineup for the Bokke about 7 meters in their own half.

The Bokkies dominated the first 35

Faf the Jack Russel had a lot to do with the ascendancy in terms of variable play and feisty gritty play

Then the Kiwis dominated the next 40 minutes

The last minute try was luck as the ABs were worthy of a win.

However bounce of the ball is part of this game.

Rassie admitted to luck in the post match press conference

ON ATTACK

METRES CARRIED

South Africa - 245

New Zealand - 395

CARRIES

South Africa - 99

New Zealand - 141

DEFENDERS BEATEN

South Africa - 10

New Zealand - 22

CLEAN BREAKS

South Africa - 3

New Zealand - 7

PASSES

South Africa - 103

New Zealand - 207

OFFLOADS

South Africa - 10

New Zealand - 13

POSSESSION

South Africa - 43%

New Zealand - 57%

ON DEFENCE

TACKLES

South Africa - 155

New Zealand - 91

MISSED TACKLES

South Africa - 22

New Zealand - 10

BREAKDOWN

RUCKS WON

South Africa - 74

New Zealand - 109

PENALTIES CONCEDED

South Africa - 11

New Zealand 8

most important stat

dominating All black tries - 0

sketchy all black tries - 1

that was prety impressive defence allround.

most important stat

dominating All black tries - 0

sketchy all black tries - 1

that was prety impressive defence allround.

For me it was a game of two halfs. In the first we dominated but couldn't turn into points only to concede a try against the run of play towards the end of the half. The AB's turned it around in the second half but similarly to us couldn't really translate it into a big lead or score more tries. And then we had the Kolbe chip and Jantjies score that made it a two point game at 78 minutes. Pollard handled the pressure well and slotted an important goal. At the end of the day the only statistic that matters is the final scoreline. And I reckon the scoreline was a fair reflection of the match. Not the most free flowing game ever but it was an entertaining one nonetheless.

News24, I know, so pinch of salt. But some interesting things to think about before the RWC

Quote:

"Between 2016 and 2017, the All Blacks won all four meetings, including 41-13 in Christchurch, 57-15 in Durban and 57-0 at North Harbour."

But in the three subsequent match-ups, all under Erasmus’s SA charge, there have been two tussles settled either way by two points, followed by Saturday’s 16-16 latest nail-biter.

Overall points amassed in that time? NZ 82 SA 82 ... yes, it’s been precisely that even."

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/rwc-boks-big-advantage-for-nz-clash-20190730-2

Let us, for the moment, take the improved performances

News24, I know, so pinch of salt. But some interesting things to think about before the RWC

Quote:

"Between 2016 and 2017, the All Blacks won all four meetings, including 41-13 in Christchurch, 57-15 in Durban and 57-0 at North Harbour."

But in the three subsequent match-ups, all under Erasmus’s SA charge, there have been two tussles settled either way by two points, followed by Saturday’s 16-16 latest nail-biter.

Overall points amassed in that time? NZ 82 SA 82 ... yes, it’s been precisely that even."

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/rwc-boks-big-advantage-for-nz-clash-20190730-2

Let us, for the moment, take the improved performances

I would say the introduction of Rassie has been 60% coaching and 40% psychological. When you have a coach that you respect your game improves too

When/If the ball goes wide we rely on our cover defense to get across and make the tackle.

If they get through in the midfield you are always in trouble as they will have support runners on the inside and outside which usually means try time.

The rush defense works well but if you miss a spot tackle or cover defense is slightly delayed...problems

When/If the ball goes wide we rely on our cover defense to get across and make the tackle.

If they get through in the midfield you are always in trouble as they will have support runners on the inside and outside which usually means try time.

The rush defense works well but if you miss a spot tackle or cover defense is slightly delayed...problems

Well Jake White's RWC winning team managed to effectively implement it. [emoji41]

It is definitely tricky thing to implement but I suspect that Rassie will have a plan to cover the weaknesses of the rush defense. IIRC Jake's team would only fan out in the tramlines but push in in the middle third but only from the outer edges. In the middle they kept a straight line and marked man for man, pod for pod. I suspect that Rassie might do something similar. That said the communication on the field seems good and clear and that is the most essential part of any defensive plan.