Rugby...

'Dale

I for one am really looking forward to the next 3 weeks. The weaker teams are now out and the top teams will slug it out for the trophy. 

I think the Lions have a good chance of beating the Saders if they play to their full potential. whether they can beat the top 3 NZ teams in 3 consecutive weekends is another story (I'm assuming the other NZ sides will win their games).

I'm also looking forward to the next 3 weeks to see the best teams play, but unfortunately therein lies my problem with the new Super Rugby format. Previously, I saw the best teams against each other, week in and week out. Now I have to wait 5 months to see them play once-off against each other in a knock-out?  mmmmmm ... not to sure. They'll have to rethink the model and number of teams, or revenues and viewership will drop even further. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://realrugby.co.za/blog/danie-gerber-greatest-ever/

certainly the best SA backline player I have ever seen. Followed closely by Carel du Plessis.

Internationally, I'd rate Christian Cullen as the best.

Any thoughts?

That second try he scored against the AB' is a special memory as I was still a young kiddo when that match was played shortly after our international return. Danie certainly was pretty special.

The Fourie's, Jacques and Du Preez, also stand out as special, turn games on their heads players. Absolutely phenomenal.

Internationally I'd have to say for me it's a toss up between Tim Horan and Dan Carter. Both were amazing, both winning two world cups and being the heart around which their teams backline play was centered. Lifted the playing levels of those who played with them and left opponents in awe of their prowess. Horan's eye for the half gap in particular is something I remember with fondness.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

That second try he scored against the AB' is a special memory as I was still a young kiddo when that match was played shortly after our international return. Danie certainly was pretty special.

The Fourie's, Jacques and Du Preez, also stand out as special, turn games on their heads players. Absolutely phenomenal.

Internationally I'd have to say for me it's a toss up between Tim Horan and Dan Carter. Both were amazing, both winning two world cups and being the heart around which their teams backline play was centered. Lifted the playing levels of those who played with them and left opponents in awe of their prowess. Horan's eye for the half gap in particular is something I remember with fondness.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

as pure silky runners with the ball, okes like Gerber, Carel du Plessis, David Campese and Christian Cullen were streets ahead of Horan and Carter or any player SA has produced in the last 25 years.

That try that Gerber scored that you mention was when he was past his best already.

after ignoring a lot of this season, the format is now down to a more understandable conclusion. looking ahead to this weekend's games. with one knockout game played, the aussies are all home already.

highlanders(5) already got through against brumbies(4), away from home.

sharks(8) v hurricanes(1): no one giving guppies a sniff

stormers(3) v chiefs(6): tough one to call, let's say stormers edge it

lions(2) v crusaders(7): lions have looked good all season, saders, not so much.

then it's hurricanes(1) vs highlanders(5)

lions(2) vs stormers(3)

if the chiefs win, then it's

hurricanes(1) vs (chiefs)

lions(2) vs highlanders(5)

so I hope the highlanders haven't gone and flown back to NZ already!

if the unthinkable happens, and all 3 SA teams win

lions(2) vs sharks(8)

stormers (3) vs landers(5)

Past 4 weeks the Highlanders travelled to South Africa, then to Argentina, then back to NZ, and this week to Aus (admittedly the last one is not that far)

I think we saw the effects this morning where they were lucky to beat a far crappier team

Makes me think Ackers was right to not fly out his best team to Argentina last week...

as pure silky runners with the ball, okes like Gerber, Carel du Plessis, David Campese and Christian Cullen were streets ahead of Horan and Carter or any player SA has produced in the last 25 years.

That try that Gerber scored that you mention was when he was past his best already.

Forgive me for being nine and way more into cricket than rugby back in the early nineties! I think no one doubts the quality of the players you mentioned. Legends.

Often Cullen and try was said close together mostly because he's just scored or created a score. Absolutely phenomenal player.

Kronfeld (spelling) was brilliant too, as was Zinzan Brooke. Carlos Spencer was hugely entertaining.

Also loved the way Hennie Le Roux played. Ditto for Teichmann, Honiball and Andre Joubert.

There's actually a lot of players that could get mentioned in this sort of discussion as everyone will have their preferences wrt style and ability. Very interesting topic though.