Rugby...

'Dale

It's early days here. Last year we lost to Italy. This is an improvement. The spirit is clearly better. When we beat the aFrench in the first test a lot of people said it was a French B team, and so it was. The rugby was ugly but we won. The second test it was a better French team. The Boks beat them anyway and it was better rugby. I don't think anyone would say that there is no room for improvement, there clearly is, but the players and the coaching team seem to recognize that.

I doubt we would make much impression against the AB team but we are already streets ahead of where we were last year. For me the main thing is to play with spirit. Don't play with the negative, dejected attitude the team had last year and most South Africans seem to display on a day to day basis in practicallly every thing. I personally thought that last year the team was a fair reflection of South African low self esteem and negativity.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

England vs Argentina game was a cracker, despite the 35-25 gap reflected it was only in the last minutes that England scrapped ahead. This after narrowly losing 38-34 previous week show Argentina to be a powerful opposition.  

Edited by scotty

Nice to see some positive growth... I am not a AC fan by a long shot, but kudos where they are due. Some positives for me... 

Serfontein is a completely different player when paired with decent thinking players. Hopefully the De Allendes of the world are a thing of the past.

Mahoje's injury was a massive early bonus (sorry, but that is the truth, he is not up to standard) - I'm not a big Du Preez fan, but was seriously impressed with his work rate and physicality. Would still love Kriel in there though when he is ready.

I'm not a Kolisi fan but he made me eat my words on Sat - hope he can maintain this level

Etsebeth seems to have cut the stupidity from his game - not sure what brought that about, but I am loving it. Mostert compliments him really well with his impressive work rate too.

On paper not a strong Bok team by a long shot - but nice to see the collective effort making such a difference. I think the large Lions base (where it's also a team first mentality) and Whiteley as captain has really helped in that regard.

Long may we continue on this path, but in the same breath, we must know that far far sterner challenges await

“What impressed me tremendously was the work-rate of every one of the Boks close to the ball. When a tackle was made, the player got back to his feet and in position to help his mates. And if they were in a situation where they could turn the ball over, they did. In the first half, Jan Serfontein, Jean-Luc du Preez, Malcolm Marx, Frans Malherbe and Siya Kolisi all won penalties. That’s five penalties won by different players in one half and just shows how hard they are working for each other.”

Nick Mallett

Intensity was good.. Work ethic was good.. But in that second half when France were on our line for a solid ten minutes any team in the top 5 would have capitalised on at least three or four opportunities in that time. While our defence was strong, France's attack was weak. Second point was that 14 points on Saturday were through intercepts. I accept that intercepts are a result of sustained pressure, they are still against the flow

England vs Argentina game was a cracker, despite the 35-25 gap reflected it was only in the last minutes that England scrapped ahead. This after narrowly losing 38-34 previous week show Argentina to be a powerful opposition.  

The Jaguares outfit int Supa Rugby has been good for the Pumas, I reckon.

I don't know the players that well but Rhule did track back to carry out what seemed like a try saving tackle on some French brute.

Next, as long as we beat the Aussies!! Plucked by Scotland nogal, go sweaties.

Intensity was good.. Work ethic was good.. But in that second half when France were on our line for a solid ten minutes any team in the top 5 would have capitalised on at least three or four opportunities in that time. While our defence was strong, France's attack was weak. Second point was that 14 points on Saturday were through intercepts. I accept that intercepts are a result of sustained pressure, they are still against the flow

Jantjies's try wasn't an intercept by Siya.

He bullied the opposing flank or something out of the ball 

It's nice to think players can join the Boks again and return to their super rugby squads better players. And then by the look of the team spirit look forward to joining the Boks again.

I wasn't optimistic to see more of Allister but give the man his due, it is looking much better.

It's early days here. Last year we lost to Italy. This is an improvement. The spirit is clearly better. When we beat the aFrench in the first test a lot of people said it was a French B team, and so it was. The rugby was ugly but we won. The second test it was a better French team. The Boks beat them anyway and it was better rugby. I don't think anyone would say that there is no room for improvement, there clearly is, but the players and the coaching team seem to recognize that.

I doubt we would make much impression against the AB team but we are already streets ahead of where we were last year. For me the main thing is to play with spirit. Don't play with the negative, dejected attitude the team had last year and most South Africans seem to display on a day to day basis in practicallly every thing. I personally thought that last year the team was a fair reflection of South African low self esteem and negativity.

This

It is not the finished product but at least we have a good starting point and we have 22 okes who want to be there and are fighting it out for position week in and week out.

We now have something we can work with and being 2 years out from WC we have time to grow 

Don't get me wrong.. We have improved immensely.. But we are still way below the level we would expect. As had been mentioned above there is a clear psychological morale shift in the squad.. Which counts for a lot

The fact that we are actually discussing a match again on this thread is also a clear indicator that there is both improvement and also hope

Edited by Stretch

Both skipper and coach Al' have acknowledged that there is still a lot of work to do and it's a process to get back to 2 and hunt the Kiwis

Head in the dreamy clouds, feet / tokse planted firmly on the ground - I like ????????

It's nice to think players can join the Boks again and return to their super rugby squads better players. And then by the look of the team spirit look forward to joining the Boks again.

I wasn't optimistic to see more of Allister but give the man his due, it is looking much better.

Hate being the party pooper here, but I think it has more to do with the coaching team surrounding him and their influence, than AC himself.

Methinks he is just a figure head.

Hate being the party pooper here, but I think it has more to do with the coaching team surrounding him and their influence, than AC himself.

Methinks he is just a figure head.

Surely if we blamed him for 15 players on the field who looked like they didn't want to be there in 2016 we must credit him for turning it around.

If that meant getting the right coaches to ensure the players have confidence in the plan he still got that coaching team together. We don't need a one man celebrity coach like Eddy Jones or Jose Mourinho as long as collectively the coaching team ensure that we are not outcoached by the opposition very often.

Don't know what it was exactly that brought the changes, but in 2016 he had a poor team assisting him, people with no to little skill sets pertaining to the Professional era where winning Rugby is the ultimate goal. The end results were all too clear.

This year it seems he has the right guys in the right place, and again, the results are clear.

Not sure if it was his decisions, or if it was forced upon him (like last years poor coaching team was to a great extent.)

This

It is not the finished product but at least we have a good starting point and we have 22 okes who want to be there and are fighting it out for position week in and week out.

We now have something we can work with and being 2 years out from WC we have time to grow 

The biggest change for me was Fitness and Numbers in support and to the ball.Exactly what the ABs do well at