26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought a 29er (secondhand) (in addition to my 26" Schwinn) and I am EXTREMELY happy!

Absolutely love it - but as you said HT.

That said though, I prefer HT on my 26" as well - although I must admit that Newlands Forest had me wishing for dual suspension on MANY occasions :).

You not allowed to ride at Newlands forest? If you ride at Newlands let me know where?

I went from a 26" hardtail to a 29er Dual Sus and I am loving it! Getting all the perks from a DS and all the perks from a 29er is just unbelievable...

I won't get involved in the 26er vs 29er debate because I have to admit that I still can't quite make the distinction between the new benefits from the DS and the new benefits from the big wheels. Everything is still a bit blurry at this stage (I've only had the bike for a week) but I'm still in a state of disbelief. This thing floats up rocky ascents, fly's down the hills and is super comfortable. Now I just need the legs to go with the bike... ;)

+1 Well said.

Perhaps there is some confusion over the term XC

From Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-country_mountain_biking

Cross-country racing emphasizes endurance above technical prowess, and races vary from 30 minutes to 24 hours in length. Additionally, many mountain bike races are divided up into stages so as to span several days.

Riding or racing is also only deemed cross-country if the technical complexity of the trails is easy or moderate. Trails nearly impossible even to experienced riders are more often dubbed "all-mountain", "freeride", or "downhill".

Guys, without getting techincal - if the speed at which you do laps and or overall distance you travel is more important than the singletrack downhill part, you are XC. if you're doing any type of timed event, or are training for a multi day race or are into those you are cross country.

Cape Epic is not XC cause of the distance, but because of the multi day event which is timed!

Even if you don't do timed events, but wear tights and ride a hardtail with all the latest kit and gadgets, and slowcoach your way down the singletrack but race up on the double track, you are XC. (You sure as *&* are notAll mountain or downhill!)

XC is a style of riding - ie. race orientated. Most people are XC.

A few are trail / all mountain orientated (focus on single tracks) and the more hardcore I suppose are downhillers although they pretty much the same just more extreme.

Enough said, now get back to the bike comparison.

I know there's a lot of 29er owners out here who laid out some hard cash and won't admit the fact that their new bikes are probably a bit of a dog on the single tracks.

Yes they float over stuff. Like a bus floats. If you turn they drift. I guess if you are XC that sort of thing is cool with you.

Personally, for me, I like my bike to perform well, handle quick, turn on a dime, be able to bunny hop it etc.

For example, how many guys have you seen on 29ers doing jumps. How many guys on 29ers have you seen screaming down a single track? Yes the wheels might roll faster on a straight but no way a 29er keeps up with a 26er on a technical single track, there's just no way.

Blah blah. A bunch of garbage about what words you may or may not use when talking about getting on your bike to ride.

Oh God. More mtb police rules.What happened to mtb being about freedom?

FFS! I'm gonna give my mtb away to whoever buys the ferrari now.

Edited by TNT1

I tend to agree with most of what zula is saying but the absolutely wrong description of XC makes the posting completely misleading.

As most of the other posters have said XC is short course, intense racing on courses less than 8km per lap with with about 90% of the course being single track - exactly the type of stuff zule says the 26er is best for - which I agree with.

Err. I think you are completely misinformed. Reference from wikipedia for you : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-country_cycling

"Riding or racing is also only deemed cross-country if the technical complexity of the trails is easy or moderate. Trails nearly impossible even to experienced riders are more often dubbed "all-mountain", "freeride", or "downhill".

Cross-country racing emphasizes endurance above technical prowess, and races vary from 30 minutes to 24 hours in length. Additionally, many mountain bike races are divided up into stages so as to span several days. Races can be either point-to-point or lap-based. "

Owned.

I already admitted on another thread that using my new 29er at Tokai on the single track was an absolute bloody nightmare. And I have the scars to prove it.

But on everything else it's a machine... as in a MACHINE!!! But for tight tracks I'll keep my trusty 26er.

From Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-country_mountain_biking

Cross-country racing emphasizes endurance above technical prowess, and races vary from 30 minutes to 24 hours in length. Additionally, many mountain bike races are divided up into stages so as to span several days.

Riding or racing is also only deemed cross-country if the technical complexity of the trails is easy or moderate. Trails nearly impossible even to experienced riders are more often dubbed "all-mountain", "freeride", or "downhill".

Guys, without getting techincal - if the speed at which you do laps and or overall distance you travel is more important than the singletrack downhill part, you are XC. if you're doing any type of timed event, or are training for a multi day race or are into those you are cross country.

Cape Epic is not XC cause of the distance, but because of the multi day event which is timed!

Even if you don't do timed events, but wear tights and ride a hardtail with all the latest kit and gadgets, and slowcoach your way down the singletrack but race up on the double track, you are XC. (You sure as *&* are notAll mountain or downhill!)

XC is a style of riding - ie. race orientated. Most people are XC.

I know there's a lot of 29er owners out here who laid out some hard cash and won't admit the fact that their new bikes are probably a bit of a dog on the single tracks.

Yes they float over stuff. Like a bus floats. If you turn they drift. I guess if you are XC that sort of thing is cool with you.

Popcorn, chewing gum, peanuts and bubble gum time....

(Said in your best Jeremy Taylor voice)

Well now there is proof again that Wikipedia is the best refrence source.

Luckily this topic has already been thrashed out otherwise you could be heading for record ofyour own on the hub...

Asked a friend of mine about what he thought of his new 29er - Reply was as follows -

it's 3 inches further to fall :lol:

Hi Zula

Are you by any chance one of those bad ass trail riders, or should I say wannabe motor cross riders who come fully kitted to a trail and complain or gloat because they are faster than the xc riders on their 29er's downhill on single track?

Well just a word, you might be faster on the 4km of downhill singletrack but that's also because the xc riders know that they have 90km to go with 2000m of climbing on their ride,so they take it as less of a sprint.

If you and those like you are really excelling at downhill singlet rack then enter a ...... downhill race and lets see the results! Or are you just trying to justify buying a heavy trail bike to take on a 4km piece of single track, and then crawling back up again to repeat?

I of course am trying to justify my 29er that I now hate, because you guys said that they are just a fad......NOT 29er's rule.

It is written on wiki so it has to be true. Cause the interweb never lies.

Stop smoking your socks, go ride a bike, any bike, as long as you are playing outside. And remember to greet everyone, even if they are stuck up. Go ride to have fun and stop worrying about what you call other peoples riding mindsets. They are having fun in their own way. Thats what makes mtb'ing beautifull.

Maybe then I will take your comments and you seriously.

I think I would classify my riding as enduro XC, but sometimes I like to do a bit of all-mountain lite.

What bike would you guys suggest I use for each of those?

I think I would classify my riding as enduro XC, but sometimes I like to do a bit of all-mountain lite.

What bike would you guys suggest I use for each of those?

29er easy.

Asked a friend of mine about what he thought of his new 29er - Reply was as follows -

it's 3 inches further to fall :lol:

That is actually a whole lot of answer there :lol: