26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

but the difference with the iPad, and all tablet devices, is that actually does fullfil a useful role that's not borne of mass hysteria as with wheel sizes. Portable computing, thanks to microsoft, struggled to gain traction with consumers because of clunky OS'. Apple fixed that. Android slipstreamed beautifully into Apple's beachhead. No shame in the other manufacturers being savvy to follow the fruityflava'd gravytrain.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29e'ers are very popular here at home.

1.We have superb terrain for it.

2.South Africans are like puppy dogs and love to follow like sheep.

You summed it up perfectly there. My favourite word is sheeple.

It is actually brilliant for marketers as it is self perpetuating. Someone who buys an iPad feels the need to tell all and sundry how amazing it is and how it has changed their lives (even when the reality is that the usefulness of the device is far less than a standard laptop but after spending a fortune on something you need to convince yourself it was worth it), throw in a few celebs flashing their iPads around on TV and before you know it everyone feels they NEED one. They then buy one and start the cycle over again by telling anyone willing to listen how much they love their new toy.... brilliant!

The 26" guys are like John Mcenroe, they furiously serve one ball after the other, throw tantrums here and there but will eventually get forced in to retirement.

Technology , embrace it or be lost without it.

I wonder how many ZX Sinclair users are still saying that the i-Pad is only a phase.

I see your ipad and i raise you a commodore 64,,,, :)

29e'ers are very popular here at home.

1.We have superb terrain for it.

2.South Africans are like puppy dogs and love to follow like sheep.

1. Not all of SA terrain is best suited for a 29er, hence why a 650B would be more suitable.
  2. I agree a lot of people are like "sheeple" but if it werent for these people where would the cycling industry be?
  3. 650 has always had a "cult" following so to speak, its now the industry thats jumped on the bandwagon, not the other way round.

I couldnt care if they bring out a 28.323 wheelsize, if it works it works.

some tracks will still suit a 26" some will suit 27.5 and some will suit 29, but thats all minors as there is no track/race that you wont be able to do on any of the wheelsizes.

Its going to be down to personal prefrence, not one of those dimensions will make you a better rider. However what makes sense is that balance point wise taller people feel more comofrtable on 29'ers and short people feel comfortable on 26" rigs. So it would make sense to have

Small frames 26"

Medium frames at 27.5"

Large and XL 29"

1. I agree a lot of people are like "sheeple" but if it werent for these people where would the cycling industry be?

A lot further progressed, IMO. If they did R&D on something worth while rather than forcing everyone to go 10-speed for example, then we would have better bikes at better prices, not different bikes at hugely inflated prices.

I couldnt care if they bring out a 28.323 wheelsize, if it works it works.

some tracks will still suit a 26" some will suit 27.5 and some will suit 29, but thats all minors as there is no track/race that you wont be able to do on any of the wheelsizes.

Its going to be down to personal prefrence, not one of those dimensions will make you a better rider. However what makes sense is that balance point wise taller people feel more comofrtable on 29'ers and short people feel comfortable on 26" rigs. So it would make sense to have

Small frames 26"

Medium frames at 27.5"

Large and XL 29"

I don't agree with this. I ride a large, **** I better swop over then. Not going to happen, not for the type of riding I do and where I ride. Don't get me wrong one day I might just get a 29er.

I don't agree with this. I ride a large, **** I better swop over then. Not going to happen, not for the type of riding I do and where I ride. Don't get me wrong one day I might just get a 29er.

Its all a matter of perception, i initially bought my 29'er purly becuase i wanted to use it for stage races and marathons. Thought i would keep the 26 for the tight technical stuff.

The 29'er is so much nicer especially in the tight technical stuff, my 26" is standing gathering dust, ive never once thought since ive bought the new steed hrmm im doing a technical trail i better rack up the 26".

But like i said, its about your comfort and perception, and yes a large number of 29'ers are useless, ive test ridden a crapload before i eventually bought. And its not just about the wheelsize somehow i just feel more balanced and more stable with the ENTIRE geometry of the bike. And that translates into more confidence. Well for me at least.

I will never say 29 is better than 26" but it sure as hell is working for me :) ... and i use to be a hater.

Its all a matter of perception, i initially bought my 29'er purly becuase i wanted to use it for stage races and marathons. Thought i would keep the 26 for the tight technical stuff.

The 29'er is so much nicer especially in the tight technical stuff, my 26" is standing gathering dust, ive never once thought since ive bought the new steed hrmm im doing a technical trail i better rack up the 26".

But like i said, its about your comfort and perception, and yes a large number of 29'ers are useless, ive test ridden a crapload before i eventually bought. And its not just about the wheelsize somehow i just feel more balanced and more stable with the ENTIRE geometry of the bike. And that translates into more confidence. Well for me at least.

I will never say 29 is better than 26" but it sure as hell is working for me :) ... and i use to be a hater.

And just to re-iterate the everyone is different theory my experience is exactly the opposite

Riding yesterday at Giba, I kept wondering how the hell a 29er gets around some of the tight switchbacks, I mean it was the first time yesterday I never put my foot down. I need to see someone take them on a 29er. Come ride this so I can watch you :thumbup: I'm sure a 27.5 would be better suited to KZN riding, for me it boils down to rider style and the trails you are riding. I certainly aint no sheeple( I like this word, thanks ClintZA) and make informed purchases.

I mean what made people all go over to 29ers so quickly in SA as opposed to the rest of the world, mention a 29er to a UK rider and they think you are off your head, a lot of Europe is the same. I speak to a friend in the UK who is heavily involved in the bike industry and there has been a lot of talk of the 27.5 route, more so then the already established 29ers, way before Nino won on his. Horses for courses

Edited by Caerus

There's gonna be some good deals on old stock 26 inch wheels and tyres soon! Start saving

totally, as much as I love my 29er rigid......I still want a nice light trail bike with 26" wheels, will wait til the shops cant give them away and pick up a bargain!

1. Not all of SA terrain is best suited for a 29er, hence why a 650B would be more suitable.
  2. I agree a lot of people are like "sheeple" but if it werent for these people where would the cycling industry be?
  3. 650 has always had a "cult" following so to speak, its now the industry thats jumped on the bandwagon, not the other way round.

amen

totally, as much as I love my 29er rigid......I still want a nice light trail bike with 26" wheels, will wait til the shops cant give them away and pick up a bargain!

Damn skippy, got some new rims recently for a steal :clap:

These marketers are clever they got alot of people changing to 29ers and now they coming out with a wheel which will fit on alot of 26 inch frames so now the people who didnt want to lose alot money trading in their 26 ers now just have to upgrade wheels damn they clever. I will see if it fits on my bike. :whistling: Might have to change to a fox shock though.

i Dont believe its rider height thats gonna decides the wheels size.. i think hardtails should be 29, becaues you can keep the overall length of the bike managable, short travel full suss 27,5, and long travel ie. downhill 26... a long travel slack head angle downhill bike would be incumbently long with 29in wheels.. and so forth...

Caerus.... there isnt a single switchback in Giba that i cannot ride on my 29er hardtail... infact, and i might just have improved my skills?, but i remember putting feet down more often in Giba on my 26... but i havent riden a 26 since 2010??

haha, this was post wast on 27.5.... now its on apples ipad's :)

and i agree "RSA ppl are like sheep" you see it every day, and i love not following :)