What is your oldest gear you still use

FanieFiets

11/21

I have an 8 speed 11-21 at home too..... put it on my IDT rear wheel.

Have not used it since moving to 10spd

Edited by Tiny K

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My early 80s Le Turbo. Bought 3rd hand in 1985. All original apart from bar tape (only replaced 2 years ago), wheel rims (replaced +/- 1995), pedals & straps, tyres (3 pairs), brake shoes (2 sets). Still runs the original stronglight cranks & sachs-huret 6-speed.

Oh yes, I still have a pair of chamois-lined shorts (1995) and my Diadora shoes (1995) that I still use for races. And my 1995 R150 helmet (the dorky Supersport version).

Yes, I'm schnoep about spending money. But I do need to replace that helmet.

post-14151-0-86815400-1330088150.jpg

post-14151-0-73021200-1330088167.jpg

Edited by LeTurbo

My 80's singlespeed with what's left of the campy c-record grouppo

Doesn't count if you didn't buy it new in the 80s.

My oldest piece of equipment still in daily use is my Avenir bike knife that I bought at Flandria in 1997. I've also got some Flandria tops from that era that I haven't worn in ages.

My early 80s Le Turbo. Bought 3rd hand in 1985. All original apart from bar tape (only replaced 2 years ago), wheel rims (replaced +/- 1995), pedals & straps, tyres (3 pairs), brake shoes (2 sets). Still runs the original stronglight cranks & sachs-huret 6-speed.

Oh yes, I still have a pair of chamois-lined shorts (1995) and my Diadora shoes (1995) that I still use for races. And my 1995 R150 helmet (the dorky Supersport version).

Yes, I'm schnoep about spending money. But I do need to replace that helmet.

I bought my Le Turbo in 85 as well second hand R650 from Alan vH and WE

Suntour and Ofmega components.

Sold to my boet who cracked the frame

Who services that....Chris?

A replica of Paola Pezzo's 1993 World Champions Jersey when she still raced for Parkpre .... (that was a bike company) .... that I got in 1994

my 37 year old arse

I said what you use. Not what your boyfriend use. :devil:

lol, name makes sense now!!!!!

(no harm intended)

Edited by FanieFiets

I bought my Le Turbo in 85 as well second hand R650 from Alan vH and WE

Suntour and Ofmega components.

Sold to my boet who cracked the frame

Who services that....Chris?

R650 was a WHACK of money for a 2nd hand bike back then, hey Kranswurm. Maybe one of them rode it personally? I know Robbie MacIntosh and Ertjies used them in the Rapport Tour.

I've got another one in Joburg ... champagne colour, horrid mix of componentry, but it cost R1000 to take up for the 94.7/97.4.

Here's the scary thing for plastic bike riders: she's had two services since I bought her. In '95 at Olympic, and about 3 years ago at Crosstown Cycles. Apart from that, it's a little clean here, a little adjustment there that I do myself.

R650 was a WHACK of money for a 2nd hand bike back then, hey Kranswurm. Maybe one of them rode it personally? I know Robbie MacIntosh and Ertjies used them in the Rapport Tour.

I've got another one in Joburg ... champagne colour, horrid mix of componentry, but it cost R1000 to take up for the 94.7/97.4.

Here's the scary thing for plastic bike riders: she's had two services since I bought her. In '95 at Olympic, and about 3 years ago at Crosstown Cycles. Apart from that, it's a little clean here, a little adjustment there that I do myself.

650 was actually quite cheap then.My Cannondale from Bernie at Soloped cost 4K new in 87.Now that was a lot of munny

I have a mavic front 32H hub from 1987, I built it over on the wheels that I use everyday and its as smooth as anything. 25years young and still going strong.

post-6905-0-40208100-1330096284.jpg

I swiped my aunt’s oakleys that she used to ride with in the 80s. The ski goggle type model that greg le monde wore to win the TdF. Eventually they moved on, there’s only so many massive parties you can wear that sort of thing till it grows legs. Got some funky argus pics recently with them.

Then there’s the le coq sportif world champ jersey from about that time too. It’s old lycra, fading white and a little saggy. But still looks rad.

And my 1995 R150 helmet (the dorky Supersport version).

you mean TopSport? still use it? Really?!

My Campag crank puller and Campag 15 box spanner to co with it.

I bought it from "The shop" Deale & Huth in main street where the Carlton Hotel is/was with my first set of Campag cranks in '68.

I still use them.

My roadbike. I bought it second-hand in 1998. Broke the front gears on Suikerbossie in 2007, and couldn't find replacement gear levers, so now only have small blade in front.

It still gets out every year at 94.7, and sometimes Argus.

I have a Capestorm wind jacket from 1995, still use it on commutes - much more often than the roadbike.