Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

There was also the one called The Drinking Man's .............bottle of wine per meal. ...........a lot of whiskey and wine ...........Eat meat and wash it down with non-sugary alcohol........

I'm going on a diet, I'm going on a diet, I'm going on a diet.....! :clap:

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect Tim Noakes as a scientist and as a man.

This is all very exciting and intresting research.

However as previous people have mentioned, it may not apply to everone.

Everything in moderation!

As Rob Wolff would say, try it and see if you feel better, look better and perform better, if not it's not for you.

Search for "Ketogenic Diet" on google. if you want the science use the advanced search and set file type to PDF. That will come up with a lot of journal articles

Basically a good idea for normal sedentary people but not good for high perfomance endurance athletes

Search for "Ketogenic Diet" on google. if you want the science use the advanced search and set file type to PDF. That will come up with a lot of journal articles

Basically a good idea for normal sedentary people but not good for high perfomance endurance athletes

Patently false. High performance endurance athletes on the Ketogenic diet. A number of SA swimmers, Bruce Fordyce (hardly low performance) Oscar Chalupsky (often doing races over 4 to 5 hours at very high intensity) and so on.

Don't write it off just because the mainstream media doesn't want you to think that it would be good for athletes...

Should that be High Performance endurance athletes or just endurance athletes?

If not how do we determine where the average and high perfomance boundries end / start?

Should that be High Performance endurance athletes or just endurance athletes?

If not how do we determine where the average and high perfomance boundries end / start?

I think winning the nearly 50 km open water Molokai World Championships 12 times, the last one at the age of 49 !, probably qualifies as High Performance endurance , don't you think ?

For someone who is basically my father’s age to win is mind blowing. It’s one of the best sporting performances I have ever been part of.” —ninth place finisher, Michael Booth, age 21.

http://www.canoekayak.com/touring-kayak/the-best-win-ever/

I think winning the nearly 50 km open water Molokai World Championships 12 times, the last one at the age of 49 !, probably qualifies as High Performance endurance , don't you think ?

For someone who is basically my father’s age to win is mind blowing. It’s one of the best sporting performances I have ever been part of.” —ninth place finisher, Michael Booth, age 21.

And to make it more amazing, the latest was after a sabbatical of 5 years. He was too big for the boat. Until he changed his diet to follow that of TN's

Yes i appreciate that for sure being in the same age group as Oscar and all...

Maybe i should read up on it...LOL

I tried the diet for a little over 2 weeks. Problem is I am a vegetarian. Could find very little to eat. Lost 2 kg very quickly then stuck there. Never really got hungry but man did I get slow. I also got real grumpy. Slowest loop at Modderfontein I have ever done. The ride seemed to go on for days

As the man says, it doesn't suit everyone

I tried the diet for a little over 2 weeks. Problem is I am a vegetarian. Could find very little to eat. Lost 2 kg very quickly then stuck there. Never really got hungry but man did I get slow. I also got real grumpy. Slowest loop at Modderfontein I have ever done. The ride seemed to go on for days

Don't give up!! I think your body still needs to adapt to the low carb intake + energy expenditure....give it some more time and come report back to us...

As said, don't give up. You have to be on it for at least 2-3 weeks for your body to adapt to fat burning and get the Atkins advantage. At first you are going to be slower, and feel a bit more tired. That don't last forever.

Read these 2 books thoroughly. Study them !

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance

and

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable

Thanks for the advice guys but I bailed on it. High protein and fat diet for a vegetarian is just more than I can handle. Also I am over 50 and that leads to enough general grumpiness without having to go look for more trouble.

I also think being over 50 and having a body fat % hovering around 12% is good enough. I have to ask myself what I am trying to achieve exactly. My cholesterol is normal, my blood pressure is normal and I easily do events like the 94 in under 3 hours. Think I am trying to fix what's not broken.

I did read the books by the way and agree that I should have tried longer but the suffering was too much and as I said earlier, what for?

I roll with 1/3 carbs and 2/3 protein.

My struggle is with sugar. Of the refined type. Just love my sweets / dessert. :blush:

There are so many different views / angles.

I guess it's a matter of experimentation as everyone's body is different.