Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Oh you speak so much *** its funny hahahahahaha

mocking like that

Just an example, no TNT1's were intended to be hurt in this example

It's weird, whenever I see the word scoff, I think of halftime oranges during junior school soccer matches.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone doesn't agree with you it does not make them a child molester, granny rapist and roadie.

But, this is the 'ub... Don't take away the glue that holds us together. Or keeps us apart. Or whatever this blind hatred for anonymous people does for us.

I tried the diet for a little over 2 weeks. Problem is I am a vegetarian. Could find very little to eat. Lost 2 kg very quickly then stuck there. Never really got hungry but man did I get slow. I also got real grumpy. Slowest loop at Modderfontein I have ever done. The ride seemed to go on for days

As the man says, it doesn't suit everyone

Adaption takes 3-4 weeks, Read the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance - Phinney anf Volek Often it's more fat that you need and less protein, they give formulas to help get you started, the benefits are huge, stable blood sugar, reduced inflamation especially after exercise, quicker recuperation. Ability to ride hours without refuel.

It's weird, whenever I see the word scoff, I think of halftime oranges during junior school soccer matches.

Ha ha... i usualy associate it with scoffing cake at Mugg n Bean

Adaption takes 3-4 weeks, Read the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance - Phinney anf Volek Often it's more fat that you need and less protein, they give formulas to help get you started, the benefits are huge, stable blood sugar, reduced inflamation especially after exercise, quicker recuperation. Ability to ride hours without refuel.

Yip, the Phinney experiment is quoted in one of the links I posted earlier.

Yip, the Phinney experiment is quoted in one of the links I posted earlier.

I had an un-refreshed page up from last night. :-) couldn't find the delete key after I posted it.

I had an un-refreshed page up from last night. :-) couldn't find the delete key after I posted it.

Heh heh. No worries, the link I posted was a very long read, you pulled out some salient points. :thumbup:

Some questions posed this morning:

Dave George@davegeorge101

So @ProfTimNoakes most common qst regarding high protein diet is how does it apply to the high performance athlete? Glycogen replenishment?

Dave George@davegeorge101

.@ProfTimNoakes how does high protein effect ph sensitivity and how relative is blood ph to hp athlete constantly loading body with acid?

Tim Noakes@ProfTimNoakes

@davegeorge101 Key:If elite athlete is carb sensitive should not change. If carb resistant will benefit by reducing but not eliminating carb

Tim Noakes@ProfTimNoakes

@davegeorge101 Key:If elite athlete is carb sensitive should not change. If carb resistant will benefit by reducing but not eliminating carb

The Phinney thing and others point to a level of around 45-50% of diet being made up of carbs for high performing endurance athletes. The link I posted even has a pic of Cancellara...

Anyway, I take Noakes' response there to be a little bit of back-peddaling when faced with the same questions I'd ask him.

To disagree with the good prof is one thing but to immediately question his motives and his morality is real playground nonsense.

If someone doesn't agree with you it does not make them a child molester, granny rapist and roadie.

I couldn't agree more!

Damn... now my preferred cycling is being compared to a child molester and granny rapist...

:unsure:

Edited by andydude

Damn... now my preferred cycling is being compared to a child molester and granny rapist...

:unsure:

Don't take it seriously. I love road cycling and was just trying to fit in here on the hub

The Phinney thing and others point to a level of around 45-50% of diet being made up of carbs for high performing endurance athletes. The link I posted even has a pic of Cancellara...

Anyway, I take Noakes' response there to be a little bit of back-peddaling when faced with the same questions I'd ask him.

You seem to assume Noakes is of the extreme - zero carbs school for atheletes in all circumstances... he isn't as evidenced by his reply. Edited by dracs

You seem to assume Noakes is of the extreme - zero carbs school for atheletes in all circumstances... he isn't as evidenced by his reply.

No way.

Don't assume.

I'm of the balance kinda guy.

I'm like a chickpea. The perfect balance between carbs and protein, that little bugger is.

The first thing I discovered when I started to cycle was the concept of a diet to lose weight or a lifestyle change by following a sports diet.

The first one is where you starve and deprive your body to get your weight down. The second is eating what your body wants when it needs it.

Personally I've just started a low carb high protein diet (3rd week) and while its great, as soon as I start training again I will be consuming carbs during my rides. Look at the famous AJ Muti mix, best drink around for hitting the trails or training hard and its high in carbs.

I've learn't to listen to my body, it knows best.

Mmmm beer.....

No way.

Don't assume.

I'm of the balance kinda guy.

I'm like a chickpea. The perfect balance between carbs and protein, that little bugger is.

Is that click ckick click coming from above the sound of "back-peddaling" I hear? :lol:

You are correct though - chickpeas are their own food group. somewhere between beer and pizza(the other 2 biggies)