Will I be able to cycle again?

Sepia

Sitting with this problem at the age of 58 due to MTB crash at speed.

Doc does not want to give me answer. (The fact that the doc did not go the whole hip is encouraging)

Anybody else had this problem and could give me hope?

Jeez, I would hate to have to give up cycling.

sho Sepia looks hectic. I really hope you recover fully so you can cycle again. Best of luck.

if your range of movement is not limited, u will be 100s to do anything, not just cycling. Just decide now to suffer to make that a reality: recovery has this way of convincing u the old ways are not worth the agony. Screw it! make it happen. good luck!

Just make sure you get your alignment sorted out. This will give yo best chance of full recovery. If doc got bone back together and there is no ligament or muscle damage you should be good to go.

The big question is, if you fall again, will it recove then. Is it worth it in that case?

I have had 2 spinal fusions with screws,rods etc & I am cycling again.Whilst I cannot ride as well as before at least I am on the bike.

Clearly one must be cautious but then again,even with a normal back one has to be.

Give it time and start slowly,good luck

I would say yes. Doctors are always quick to tell people they'll never walk again, or do this or that again. And soon the oke is swing dancing harder than before.

if your range of movement is not limited, u will be 100s to do anything, not just cycling. Just decide now to suffer to make that a reality: recovery has this way of convincing u the old ways are not worth the agony. Screw it! make it happen. good luck!

+1

Likewise, I have lumbar and cervical fusions, before they fused 5/6/7 of my cervical spine I had almost lost all use of my left arm, I couldn't even cut a slice of bread, believe me, my arm was that weak.

....but, the body is remarkable and today I am 100% fine, I run, ride and do everything I want, but you have to give it time and take the necessary precautions that your orthopedic will suggest, the worst thing you could do is take a chance and damage it more, dont risk it, be proactive, listen to your doc and pretty soon you will be just fine. I know it.

Physio therapy is an essential part of the recovery after orthopaedic surgery. It is often unpleasant but worth it.

These guys are younger but rekon its willpower :thumbup:

For a few years, you were plagued with injuries.

Yeah, you have to rise above the clouds again after you get hurt. There's a gray area, a turbulence area. You're either going to go back down or you're going to get above it. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Once you get above it, it's fine, though.

post-20718-0-11864600-1331842803.jpg

Edited by 2nutz

Travis has had his fair share of injures. He has a few major areas of his body which are severely damaged from repeat broken bones, torn ligaments and other long term affects. Travis’ knees and wrists have been broken numerous times which was a huge burden to his 250cc Supercross career. Travis has also has had many concussions which may affect his memory. Here is a rough laundry list of his injuries thus far. Note: Each list is not complete and lists from various sources may repeat injuries.

From 199 Lives (Up to 2007):

• Broken Wrist 7 Times
  • Knee Surgery 8 Times (Right Knee)
  • Knee Surgery 7 Times (Right Knee)
  • 4 Tibia Plateau
  • Separated Shoulder 3 Times
  • Over 25 Concussions

“There is two 2 characteristics that he [Travis] has, No fear which gives him the ability to keep pushing the envelope and I think he has congenital insensitivity to pain, most of us would have pain with these situations, Travis seems to shut that out of his body without drugs or medication. I don’t think the kid takes more than a few Advil after an operation. He is pretty resilient.” – Dr Tom Dennis, 199 Lives.

http://travispastrana.net/sites/travispastrana.net/images/pages/extra_img/01_travis_legbruise.jpg

Travis' leg after shooting Episode 8, Season 1 of Nitro Circus

From a Unknown Video (Up to circa 2001):

• Broken Left Foot
  • Broken Right Foot
  • Broken Left Tibia, Fibula
  • Broken Tibia Plateau Fracture
  • Dislocated Knee Cap
  • Torn ACL, PCL, LCL
  • Broken Growth Plate Right Knee
  • Broken Pelvic Bone
  • Multiple Hip Fractures
  • Dislocated Spinal Column
  • Internal Bleeding
  • Dislocated Shoulder
  • Broken Left Elbow
  • Broken Both Wrists Twice
  • Broken left Wrist 5/6 Times (by itself)
  • Broken Left Thumb
  • Broken Left Knuckle

Travis states all of the injuries himself during what seems to be a hair/makeup routine for a TV appearance (possibly Letterman or Leno).

Dislocated Spinal Column

Travis is only one of a few people in the world to suffer a dislocated spinal column. During practice for a Freestyle competition at Lake Havasu, 1999, Travis was coming up to a 120ft jump and he “chopped” the throttle or let off the gas for a split moment and landed short. Travis went from 60 miles per hour to the opposite direction in less than half a second.

Travis hadn’t broken his back, he had moved the spinal column from the pelvic bone. Because of this crash Travis had also bleed half his blood volume (roughly 2.5 liters on average) into his stomach. Since the rate at which he bled into his stomach was slow, Travis was able to survive the injury, any quicker and Travis wouldn’t have made it. At the time doctors were unsure of what had happened.

So, you want a doc to tell you that you can't cycle anymore?

Imagine if the doc told Oscar Pistorius he will never be able to run fast.

Or if Lance got told: You have cancer. Forget cycling.

If cycling is what you want to do, then you will find a way to do it. Even if you have to do it by hand!

Physio therapy is an essential part of the recovery after orthopaedic surgery. It is often unpleasant but worth it.

Not only that but also DOING what the physio tells you to do.