weight weeny!

Louis for real

after a few to many black and whites :blush: i got thinking...

Why are the majority of SA mountain bikers weight weeny's when they should be more interested in fun than racing?

ive given up and now am playing the comfort over weight card...

insights,chirps,comments welcome

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are the majority of SA mountain bikers weight weeny's when they should be more interested in fun than racing?

Its just our competitive nature, and besides we all wanna be better then everyone else :thumbup:

so our competitive nature justifies a 60k bike because its lighter and hellova uncomfy to finish 2-3 hours later than everyone else?or am i missing something.

and please take this with a pinch of salt...if thats your thing thats fine im just asking:)

comfort and light. the lighter the bike the easier it also handles, more NB to me than the speed you gain

comfort and light. the lighter the bike the easier it also handles, more NB to me than the speed you gain

The lighter the bike,the easier it is to carry over obstacles and hills ;)

always been a comfort rider. full sus, 14/15 odd kg bike, gets me up :mellow: and down :w00t: and is super fun

always been a comfort rider. full sus, 14/15 odd kg bike, gets me up :mellow: and down :w00t: and is super fun

I think a lot of blokes who can't afford expensive bikes and who does not want to discipline themselves to stay slim have this attitude, personally I have no problem with it but it isn't for me, I would rather eat less, be slim and climb like a rocket and be slow and struggle in the hills...

I'm just a gear head so I like bike parts and kit and gadgets and stuff. So light bikes are awesome, it means I can spends hours reading reviews and weighing stuff :P

Because in my mind (and only in my mind), I time trial like lance and climb like alberto :whistling:

Ah my favourite 'topic' ...... this part anyway 'should be more interested in fun than racing' but ja made myself a promise ......

so our competitive nature justifies a 60k bike because its lighter and hellova uncomfy to finish 2-3 hours later than everyone else?or am i missing something.

and please take this with a pinch of salt...if thats your thing thats fine im just asking:)

I now ride the heaviest bike ive ever had, and im smashing my laptimes on the trails, and the bike is built around being super stiff instead of light so its an XC machine that eats up any form of ST.

Granted a lighter bike lets you climb a bit easier, but thats about the only andvantage. We justify it to say we have XO/XTR bling on our bikes, we want carbon handlebars even though they snap like twigs, its SA mentality, i want a biger meaner faster car than my neighbour becuase it shows people i have money.

Meanwhile i silently laughed my butt off when i started back in the day on a silverback reno with a normal tshirt and baggy pants., and in races i passed people on carbon specialized sworks bikes kitted out with garmins and full assos.

Buy according to your skill/fitness level i say. Even if you can afford a 80k bike you really shouldnt buy it if you have no clue how to use it.

Because in my mind (and only in my mind), I time trial like lance and climb like alberto :whistling:

Shouldn't you be comparing yourself to Burry ?

Lance & Alberto are think tyre guys !!!

#justsaying

:mellow:

Shouldn't you be comparing yourself to Burry ?

Lance & Alberto are think tyre guys !!!

#justsaying

:mellow:

Yeah I guess so - but my cycling fantasy began while watching the TdF on TV, many years ago, before Burry was on TV:)

Guest TheBushpig

Haha, I was just discussing this a few days ago with a mate. I'm an average Joe who rides to keep fit and have some fun doing it(or so I tell myself). My bike is my drug; love it.

MHO: If you want to compete and have the means, go for the featherlite techno marvel + all the spandex, carbon fibre etc that goes with it. Then use the damn thing! Train, then race your little ass off! Compete, enjoy your bike and enjoy your sport!

If you're an average joe, I say buy the bike that fits you and your budget, and use it! Enjoy every second in the saddle(and try to enjoy those occasions when you leave the saddle and experience flight for a short while). No point in buying a bike which is just to show off to your mates(not saying this is the case, but it could play a part), imagining that 0.5kg less bike weight will make you a better rider. I used to ride an ill-fitting cheapo which I affectionately called "The Iron Pig." It weighed a ton, handled like a Hog, but I loved the damned thing, and put over 10 000km on it over many years before the Bloody Agents relieved me of it. When I timed a familiar run last week, I found to my horror that I was faster on that old Pig along the same route than I am currently on my humble, but much lighter, better Silverback Phoenix! WTH? (am I really that much older and weaker? I'm not gonna admit that in a hurry). Something else at play here maybe. The Fun factor. I rode the Pig like there was no tomorrow because it was a blast. This really made me re-think exactly why I ride. If it's not fun, what's the point?

My 2c.