sani2c - newbie questions

-Gazza-

After reading some of the comments about tires, I am now worried. I have the standard racing ralphs evo folding tubeless ready that came with my Giant X0 29er. Am I gonna have problems?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am in isolation at the moment - no physical contact with anyone.

the kids get a high-five when i get home, the wife a wave to say hello, and i keep a good 2m distance when talking to other people.

i also have a cocktail of vitamins and other things that i take to (supposedly) aid that i dont fall ill before the adventure.

My partner is in doubt. Antibiotics does not seem to do the trick, We make a call on Sunday. :( .

I can give you a list of people looking for a partner.....there are lots. 2 of them stay in Kwazulu-Natal.

After reading some of the comments about tires, I am now worried. I have the standard racing ralphs evo folding tubeless ready that came with my Giant X0 29er. Am I gonna have problems?

You may not have problems but those RR Evo sidewalls are paper thin and I personally wouldn't want to risk a sidewall cut. Having said that, my partner rides them most events and hasn't had an issue as yet.

Slysi, I've had bad experiences with Racing Ralphs. Two massive sidewall cuts saw the end of those tyres and two races for me. The sidewalls are paper thin. I'm now on Maxxis Crossmarks. Heavy as hell but a sidewall as thick as my skull!

Slysi, I've had bad experiences with Racing Ralphs. Two massive sidewall cuts saw the end of those tyres and two races for me. The sidewalls are paper thin. I'm now on Maxxis Crossmarks. Heavy as hell but a sidewall as thick as my skull!

Snakeskin version of the RR is almost as tough as the venerable Crossmarks and significantly lighter. The RR was probably the most popular tyre on the Epic and of the 3 teams I knew racing Epic on them, only 1 team had a puncture in 8 days.

Snakeskin version of the RR is almost as tough as the venerable Crossmarks and significantly lighter. The RR was probably the most popular tyre on the Epic and of the 3 teams I knew racing Epic on them, only 1 team had a puncture in 8 days.

Booom running 2 of those for sani...slangvel

ME TOO

Me three.

The change when I went from Racing Ralph up front to Nobby Nic was significant. The more you lay the bike over the more it grips and when it does start to lose grip it is much more forgiving and predictable. The Rocket Ron's I have on my training wheels give no warning when you lose grip - you just go down. The Ralphs are a lot better and for the expert or pro rider are a good option. For the 95% of us who don't match that description the Nic upfront and the Ralph at the back are a great combo.

For the 95% of us who don't match that description the Nic upfront and the Ralph at the back are a great combo.

+1

was running suguaro (sp??) rear and kenda karma front (like an agressive knobby front for cornering acuracy)

untill this past week-end, when my rear ended up with more worms than township puppy. and my front also got treated to sum worm-love.

so this morning the wheels went in for new rubber. suguaro rear and barro front.

will take them for a shakedown ride this weekend.

(Edit - missing letters from two finger typing)

Edited by RocknRolla

also went for a new saguaro on the rear - Nobby Nic 2.4 on the front especially for Nic's pass

Wonderful news, my partners also just pulled out due to work commitments! So I am getting some random person organized for me!! Bollocks :cursing:

Mudguards are generally frowned upon by the cycling fraternity, but they won't be necessary anyway. Not too much mud this time of year