Coffee machine

How big are your coffee cups. Often people try to make huge mugs of coffee instead of the recommended sizes and this ruins the coffee.

Definitely. I use 2 pods (lungo) and a shot of water (lungo) to make a mug of Americano.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Nespresso pods, I tried some of the Nespresso in my CafeLux machine (Nespresso "Rip Off"). Try Vida's pods, although slightly expensive, it is an alternative. I am pretty much fixed unto the CafeLux pods you buy at Shoprite Checkers, at R39,99 for 10 pods it is good coffee, according to my taste.

That is not the crema. That is the water and coffee mixture which still has to be pressed through a paper filter.

An Aeropress does not create crema, nor does it make espresso. It does make a delicious coffee, which if diluted with hot water will kick the a$$ of many Americanos served in certain "coffee" shops(more like toasted sarmie shops if you ask me).

Aeropress coffee has a bold flavour without any bitternes. You just need to get the grind setting on your grinder right and off you go!!

Aah OK..

BF, correct me if I am wrong, I could very possibly be...

Isn't the "crema" the result of the oils in the bean emulsifying with the hot water, under a variable pressure? I think I read that somewhere??

I have had my Pixie for a few months now and have always had a good cup. I like the 8's and 10's in a lungo. I heat my cups up with hot water while I fill up water in machine and pop a pod in. I only use cold milk in my lungo's and use a stand alone Nespresso frother when making cappucino for wife. Crealto for example was made to drink with milk. After using machine I run a lungo cycle with no pod in just to flush machine.

Edited by MCipollini

An advantage of the Pixie:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8353/8271025307_29510757b5_z.jpg

It friggin' mows the lawn as well!!!! WOW!

tongue.png

BF, correct me if I am wrong, I could very possibly be...

Isn't the "crema" the result of the oils in the bean emulsifying with the hot water, under a variable pressure? I think I read that somewhere??

Add a bit of gas (mostly co2) released from the coffee and you are on the mark.

One of the staling processes of beans is the release of this CO2 from the bean (thats why coffee bags have one way valves in them to release the gas, otherwise the bag will pop) - thus if you use beans straight out of the roaster, the crema goes crazy, and as the beans get older, you get less and less crema.

Most super auto's/pod machines have a few mechanical tricks to force air into the mix so it looks like crema, but it's largely faked, and does not have the correct mouthfeel at all.

Regarding the Nespresso pods, I tried some of the Nespresso in my CafeLux machine (Nespresso "Rip Off"). Try Vida's pods, although slightly expensive, it is an alternative. I am pretty much fixed unto the CafeLux pods you buy at Shoprite Checkers, at R39,99 for 10 pods it is good coffee, according to my taste.

@Scuzzy, I am looking at the CafeLux machine... Are you a happy customer?

@Rebelking : I bought the CafeLux for the office about 2 months ago, extremely happy! biggrin.png I've used various types of pods in the machine and it's worked without a single problem thus far.

@Rebelking : I bought the CafeLux for the office about 2 months ago, extremely happy! biggrin.png I've used various types of pods in the machine and it's worked without a single problem thus far.

Awesome! Thanks!

Anyone claimed the R400 pod-voucher that they're dealing out with every machine bought?

Is it a mission?

Anyone claimed the R400 pod-voucher that they're dealing out with every machine bought?

Is it a mission?

We just took it off the price of our machine, no hassle...

We ordered our machine online. No deduction off our purchase price, if I understand you correctly. Will check out the Nespresso website - hopefully something more there...