Coffee machine

Paid R150 for this espresso maker from Checkers last year. Funny thing is: it works!

post-5253-0-37715300-1338378713.jpg

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paid R150 for this espresso maker from Checkers last year. Funny thing is: it works!

You sure that is R150 and not R1500? I would drop R150 on that!

@lloydkayak - youtube is your friend - there are many good clips to teach you how to froth there - just do a search - it's a lot easier to watch the technique than to try and figure out how to do it from text, but if you really must, www.home-barista.com has several how-to's.

:wacko: feeling dumb right about now... Of course theres a bejillion videos on how to do it... Man I was clueless hehe

Then also went off to tandvleisboom... so many great machines for decent prices there too!

You sure that is R150 and not R1500? I would drop R150 on that!

No I lie, actually it was R149.95 :D ! It was at the Checkers in Greenacres - PE. It is made in China, so I was quite sceptical.

Went back & got another one, in case I needed spares, still R150. Then a friend wanted one, so got another, + R150. Then the sister wanted one and I took the last one off the shelf + R150.

When more friends wanted, there was nothing left in the shop, and they also said they don't sell them anymore - so that was the end of that one.

So that was R600 for 4 espresso makers.

I take 3 - 5 espresso's a day, and the weirdest thing is that it is still going strong.

Very basic though, but it does the job!

No I lie, actually it was R149.95 :D ! It was at the Checkers in Greenacres - PE. It is made in China, so I was quite sceptical.

Went back & got another one, in case I needed spares, still R150. Then a friend wanted one, so got another, + R150. Then the sister wanted one and I took the last one off the shelf + R150.

When more friends wanted, there was nothing left in the shop, and they also said they don't sell them anymore - so that was the end of that one.

So that was R600 for 4 espresso makers.

I take 3 - 5 espresso's a day, and the weirdest thing is that it is still going strong.

Very basic though, but it does the job!

:P I just went through to Checkers close to where I work to see if they had any... Nothing. Must not be conducive to the surrounding neighbourhood....... I will try another one closer to home. That one might have them.

Bargain that was!!!

To all of you that are using coffee machines in your offices for your staff, I am contemplating getting a machine for our office. There are 3 coffee drinkers and I am tired of drinking powdered coffee!

What machine (with a reasonable price tag) would you recommend from experience (as opposed to what you would buy with someone else's money....) as a reasonable maintenance free easy to use machine? I am expecting a Nespresso flood to arrive anytime now... Problem is the ongoing pod costs. I am leaning towards a bean to cup machine but I don't have the budget for a R10k machine either. We currently have a filter coffee machine that dribbles water through ground coffee. Not the perfect cuppa but a **** load better than the Nescafe Classic that is the alternative.....

Any advice would be appreciated!

All this talk of coffee machines has made me lust for another - trouble is with only 1 coffee drinker in the house (me), and many ways to brew a cup already, justification is always hard to sell to my SO.

So how about this ....

• our home office is getting too small and may need to become a spare guest room again anyhow
  • which means we have no office
  • so we extend the house above our lounge, creating space for a new office
  • to keep house resale good, we make it usable as separate flatlet too, which means it gets kitchenette
  • an empty kitchenette is no use, so we put a fridge and kettle in
  • and because it's separate to house, it also needs a coffee machine ....
  • ... tada!
  • Plus a 10K cost for a machine will seem tiny and easy to hide then

How about that for the most expensive way to buy a coffee machine ...

;)

All this talk of coffee machines has made me lust for another - trouble is with only 1 coffee drinker in the house (me), and many ways to brew a cup already, justification is always hard to sell to my SO.

So how about this ....

• our home office is getting too small and may need to become a spare guest room again anyhow
  • which means we have no office
  • so we extend the house above our lounge, creating space for a new office
  • to keep house resale good, we make it usable as separate flatlet too, which means it gets kitchenette
  • an empty kitchenette is no use, so we put a fridge and kettle in
  • and because it's separate to house, it also needs a coffee machine ....
  • ... tada!
  • Plus a 10K cost for a machine will seem tiny and easy to hide then

How about that for the most expensive way to buy a coffee machine ...

:clap: When it comes to re-selling your house, having a proper coffee-bar, with a plumbed-in machine, would be a great sales feature. Clients coming to see you in your home office will love it, too. And that smell of freshly ground coffee helps to create a good working environment. Hell, a serious espresso machine costs less than a good laptop...

All this talk of coffee machines has made me lust for another - trouble is with only 1 coffee drinker in the house (me), and many ways to brew a cup already, justification is always hard to sell to my SO

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

To all of you that are using coffee machines in your offices for your staff, I am contemplating getting a machine for our office. There are 3 coffee drinkers and I am tired of drinking powdered coffee!

What machine (with a reasonable price tag) would you recommend from experience (as opposed to what you would buy with someone else's money....) as a reasonable maintenance free easy to use machine? I am expecting a Nespresso flood to arrive anytime now... Problem is the ongoing pod costs. I am leaning towards a bean to cup machine but I don't have the budget for a R10k machine either. We currently have a filter coffee machine that dribbles water through ground coffee. Not the perfect cuppa but a **** load better than the Nescafe Classic that is the alternative.....

Any advice would be appreciated!

I just bought the nespresso. Pod costs arent that crazy.

I used to use a good quality instant called "Carte Noir". Nespresso pods work out cheaper than that.

:clap: When it comes to re-selling your house, having a proper coffee-bar, with a plumbed-in machine, would be a great sales feature. Clients coming to see you in your home office will love it, too. And that smell of freshly ground coffee helps to create a good working environment. Hell, a serious espresso machine costs less than a good laptop...

Nice, I like your style - that idea will definitely go in the mix ;)

I just bought the nespresso. Pod costs arent that crazy.

I used to use a good quality instant called "Carte Noir". Nespresso pods work out cheaper than that.

Thanks Wayne. What is the cost per pod? In an office environment, I am looking for hassle free and relatively clean. I don't want the hassle of "Who's turn is it to clean the coffee machine?"... As far as I can see, with the Nespresso, you put water in the tank, put in a pod and out comes the coffee. Toss the pod when you are finished without the hassle of the coffee grounds. (or am I over simplifying things?)

Thanks Wayne. What is the cost per pod? In an office environment, I am looking for hassle free and relatively clean. I don't want the hassle of "Who's turn is it to clean the coffee machine?"... As far as I can see, with the Nespresso, you put water in the tank, put in a pod and out comes the coffee. Toss the pod when you are finished without the hassle of the coffee grounds. (or am I over simplifying things?)

The most expensive one they have is R6.50 per pod.

Cheapest around R5.30.

This is the one i bought, and i am loving it.

I run my company from home so it makes about 6-10 cups a day (mostly in a row early in the morning)

It never skips a beat.

I also like the 16 coffees in the nespresso range.

I have been having a lot of fun trying them all out.

I know that you can get better, but for the purpose i wanted, the nespresso is awesome.

I just want a hassle free nice cuppa in the morning. now faffing with grinders and beans and and and.

Just plop in a pod, push a button and enjoy my cappucino,

Nespresso also have an excellent online facility for ordering pods (in fact, except for the two boutiques, its the only way to buy coffee)

post-18409-0-31988200-1338741865.jpg

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

I decided to get something similar to yours, only a Sunbeam make for R269 at Game (my Russell Hobbs died a few months ago). Makes nice coffee, but the pressure is only around 4 bar. It works well in the meantime.

Get coffee from The Roastmaster in the Moffatt on Main centre....they roast every morning, so you will always get a fresh pack. I got some on Saturday and the difference between that and the House of Coffees coffee is unbelievable.

I have a Coffee Machine from Siemans but it is buit in unit.I needed one for when I go away so I got one from Seimans spoiled goods section in Midrand I know it is not as well priced as some on the Hub ,it sells for R 10,000 and picked it up for R 5 000. But if you are looking for house hold appliances for a great price look up Bosch or Siemens. They have a spoiled goods section and a discontinued range . Fridges ,Gas stoves ,Washing Machines ,Dishwashers ect. Some have scratches or marks or are just discontinued as a range. Most of them as sold at 50% discount.

After a lot of reasoning and generally driving the wife crazy with all the coffee talk, we got the DeLonghi ECAM 23.450 yesterday. It was a toss-up between this unit and the Nespresso one that Wayne has. Very similar look and functionality, super easy to use and maintain, and I like the idea of using freshly ground beans. Economy is good as well. At around R50 for 35-40 cups it makes more sense in the long run.