Coffee machine

After a lot of reasoning and generally driving the wife crazy with all the coffee talk, we got the DeLonghi ECAM 23.450 yesterday. It was a toss-up between this unit and the Nespresso one that Wayne has. Very similar look and functionality, super easy to use and maintain, and I like the idea of using freshly ground beans. Economy is good as well. At around R50 for 35-40 cups it makes more sense in the long run.

Yes, way cheaper than nespresso.

R6 a cup is expensive in my opinion.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Travis.

I have a Coffee Machine from Siemans but it is buit in unit.I needed one for when I go away so I got one from Seimans spoiled goods section in Midrand I know it is not as well priced as some on the Hub ,it sells for R 10,000 and picked it up for R 5 000. But if you are looking for house hold appliances for a great price look up Bosch or Siemens. They have a spoiled goods section and a discontinued range . Fridges ,Gas stoves ,Washing Machines ,Dishwashers ect. Some have scratches or marks or are just discontinued as a range. Most of them as sold at 50% discount.

How does one go about doing this? Is there a website or do you just go there? And where is there?

Pick n pay used to have grinders in their coffee sections. are there still any in the N Joburg area?

Thanks Wayne. What is the cost per pod? In an office environment, I am looking for hassle free and relatively clean. I don't want the hassle of "Who's turn is it to clean the coffee machine?"... As far as I can see, with the Nespresso, you put water in the tank, put in a pod and out comes the coffee. Toss the pod when you are finished without the hassle of the coffee grounds. (or am I over simplifying things?)

We had a Saeco where I used to worked and I ended up cleaning it all the time, as the others were too lazy and I have a Jura at home so have an idea how it works. In the end I ended up not drinking coffee at work and bringing my own from home in the morning so I didn't have to clean it anymore.

It constantly needed water, beans, grounds to be emptied, descaling, filter replacement etc.

The big beech is however the milk frothing system. I would advise against any of these auto frothing pipe type systems most semi-auto machines has at people will not clean it after using it and then it gets very grimy, scaly, stinky and blocked very quickly.

We had a Saeco where I used to worked and I ended up cleaning it all the time, as the others were too lazy and I have a Jura at home so have an idea how it works. In the end I ended up not drinking coffee at work and bringing my own from home in the morning so I didn't have to clean it anymore.

It constantly needed water, beans, grounds to be emptied, descaling, filter replacement etc.

The big beech is however the milk frothing system. I would advise against any of these auto frothing pipe type systems most semi-auto machines has at people will not clean it after using it and then it gets very grimy, scaly, stinky and blocked very quickly.

That is my concern... I am slowly heading towards a French Press (Bodum), that way I get coffee when I want in the quantities I want and the cleaning part isn't too much hassle. If anybody else wants coffee they can make their own! Not too worried about the frothy milk.

http://www.cornerofthecafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/1314284616-french-press.jpg

Edited by Grebel

My Aeropress arrives this morning. Found awesome coffee at foodlovers market. Malawi Gold freshly ground specially for me.

Pic to follow

My Aeropress arrives this morning. Found awesome coffee at foodlovers market. Malawi Gold freshly ground specially for me.

Pic to follow

Do they also do Transkei Red.... :whistling: ;)

And DP for the not so faint hearted

Where did you say that Foodlovers was....? :P

How does one go about doing this? Is there a website or do you just go there? And where is there?

You can just go there and have a look at what they have in stock or you can phone Bosch in Midrand and ask them to put you through to Renen he works in the spoied goods section . You will have to ask them the street address as I don't know it I just know where it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some feedback on the Delonghi ECAM 23.450. 2 1/2 weeks and 170 cups later, just opened the 5th 250g beans pack. It's the Woolies Organic Espresso and definitely better than the HOC flavours I had in the cupboard. Very happy with the purchase, machine hasn't skipped a beat.

Just some feedback on the Delonghi ECAM 23.450. 2 1/2 weeks and 170 cups later, just opened the 5th 250g beans pack. It's the Woolies Organic Espresso and definitely better than the HOC flavours I had in the cupboard. Very happy with the purchase, machine hasn't skipped a beat.

Good easy drinking bean that ! Just beware that as it's quite a dark roast most of the beans natural oil is already on the outside of the bean, which does tend to make the machine/grinder a bit oily so be sure to clean it regularly.

My Delonghi is coming up at 3000 cups.....not one day issues

• 3 weeks later...

After reading through all the pages, I still can't find an answer. We have a bean-to-cup machine at home, but after drinking a couple of espressos in Italy, this is not gonna cut it anymore.

So, can anyone recommend a good semi-auto espresso machine available in SA. (Not nespresso)

Also don't want to pay more than around R4k.