Coffee machine

That sounds good about the manual. The type of info that helps me make a decision. What has been your experience with the popcorn machine?

Pretty good really haha, its difficult to get consistency with it but it roasts... very little at a time 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine here in Jhb is taking this - so not available any more unfortunately

I'm looking to sell my Gaggia Classic. Any thoughts about what should I be asking for it?

It's in good condition (newish group gasket) and I've backflushed regularly etc.

It has a naked portafilter with 21g and 14g baskets. I've changed the steam wand out for a Rancilio Silvia one which works much better. I have also have a thermometer hooked up to the boiler to give better information about when to brew.

Any interest/any suggestions about what I should ask for it?

Anyone here have any experience or knowledge or interest in this field?

Interest, but no time.

Do yourself a favour and go chat to Sam from Ikohfi.co.za, or closer, Wayne at urbangrind.co.za or the guys at fathercoffee.co.za or state5 in greenside

I think Schmeul at jozi blue also has a small setup.

Interest, but no time.

Do yourself a favour and go chat to Sam from Ikohfi.co.za, or closer, Wayne at urbangrind.co.za or the guys at fathercoffee.co.za or state5 in greenside

I think Schmeul at jozi blue also has a small setup.

Wayne is a strange chap... he has a different "style" if you want to call it that.. but the others are good...

Wayne is a strange chap... he has a different "style" if you want to call it that.. but the others are good...

LOL - man you are polite....

LOL - man you are polite....

Yeah, look I wouldnt take his advice on many things... He can make a cup of coffee but man I dunno he has some strange ideas.. 

EG: 

Go into his shop, you won't find a portafilter warm in a machine, he "believes" it damages the seals in the group... he also roasts using an application that is configured to IMHO "roast to within an inch of the beans life, or, nearly not at all"... 

maybe he has got it worked out now, but for roasting advice or just advice i'd steer clear...

Yeah, look I wouldnt take his advice on many things... He can make a cup of coffee but man I dunno he has some strange ideas.. 

EG: 

Go into his shop, you won't find a portafilter warm in a machine, he "believes" it damages the seals in the group... he also roasts using an application that is configured to IMHO "roast to within an inch of the beans life, or, nearly not at all"... 

maybe he has got it worked out now, but for roasting advice or just advice i'd steer clear...

OK - still laughing - :) even on less than 2 hours sleep....

I see there is now a new Roastmaster cafe in Rosebank - top of 7th where the std bank used to be - not sure if they are roasting there, but they do roast in their PE shop - I will swing past there in a few days.

That sounds good about the manual. The type of info that helps me make a decision. What has been your experience with the popcorn machine?

my 2c? Roast manually, if you can, WITH good electronic "eyes" into the roast. I have a vintage Probat 60kg machine, which I retro-fitted with bean and air temperature probes, and I run through PId's into a computer logging system which lets me view the profile against backgrounds of older profiles I have chosen and loved. The best of both.

Even our 100g sample roaster (also a Probat) and our new 6kg Genio, about to arrive, work on the same principles.

No reason home roasting should be any different.

Focus also on the green beans selected. Remember, you cannot polish a turd! 

<Rant on>

My Aeropress is now what could be called knackered.... The inside is as rough and wrinkled as a bears arse after salmon hunting all day in deep water.

It leaks a bit when brewing inverted and it's just time to be replaced after not more that a few years of use unfortunately.

After much searching on the interwebs I stumbled across The Coffee Roasting Company who are supposed to be the importers of the Aeropress. Now on their site they show it listed at R325. That's a LOT cheaper than anywhere else I have seen (All around the R695 mark) and judging by the last newsflash done in 2011 I am assuming that it may be out of date...

I sent them an email inquiring about current pricing and availability last Monday and I am still waiting for a response... I did however get an inquiry from them regarding a Turkish Coffee pot....

Is it unreasonable to have expected a response when I have received two read receipts from them as well as an email (Addressed to the wrong person) over the last week and a bit?

<Rant off>

<Rant on>

My Aeropress is now what could be called knackered.... The inside is as rough and wrinkled as a bears arse after salmon hunting all day in deep water.

It leaks a bit when brewing inverted and it's just time to be replaced after not more that a few years of use unfortunately.

After much searching on the interwebs I stumbled across The Coffee Roasting Company who are supposed to be the importers of the Aeropress. Now on their site they show it listed at R325. That's a LOT cheaper than anywhere else I have seen (All around the R695 mark) and judging by the last newsflash done in 2011 I am assuming that it may be out of date...

I sent them an email inquiring about current pricing and availability last Monday and I am still waiting for a response... I did however get an inquiry from them regarding a Turkish Coffee pot....

Is it unreasonable to have expected a response when I have received two read receipts from them as well as an email (Addressed to the wrong person) over the last week and a bit?

<Rant off>

Do they answer the phone?

Yes they do

Let us know what they say, inside of mine is also starting to get rather worn, may be viable to replace it from them.

Let us know what they say, inside of mine is also starting to get rather worn, may be viable to replace it from them.

Turns out that I was looking at the old website..... (Would be great if companies took down their unused domains...) New website

Their price is R689. You can buy the rubber plunger for R95 and the end cap is R55. Doesn't help me though. The fault with mine is the housing.

Oh well...turns out that if it looks too good to be true, it usually is :(

Time to go spend that credit with Takealot.

Edited by Grebel