Coffee machine

So been looking into and reading up on the Rancilio Slivia that nerd mentioned and came across the Gaggia Classic. Anyone had any first hand experience with one or comparison between the two?

Gaggia Classic has a steam wand that needs improving. Silvia sounds rather temperamental on temp, unless you temp surfing or fit a PID.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a classic for quite a while. Fun little machine. It has an even smaller boiler than the Silvia and so temperature management is important. I replaced the stock steamwand with a Rancilio one from ebay, also replaced the portafilter and portafilter handle with a triple bottomless one (also from ebay).

There's a whole online community around modding these machines - www.gaggiausersgroup.com and getting the most out of them.

So been looking into and reading up on the Rancilio Slivia that nerd mentioned and came across the Gaggia Classic. Anyone had any first hand experience with one or comparison between the two?

Gaggia Classic has a steam wand that needs improving. Silvia sounds rather temperamental on temp, unless you temp surfing or fit a PID.

I’ve used both and the Silvia is a better machine for sure.

Another competitor in this space is the Oscar, I may have a lead on one in the next week or so.

If you keen let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the Silvia with a Rocky grinder for the past year. IMO the Silvia is the best machine at the price point. I was also considering the Gaccia but what put me off was the steam wand - the Silvia has a strong steam wand you'd find on commercial machines whereas the Gaccia has a double hole (ie: beginner) steam wand found on cheaper machines.

The Gaccia is easier to steam consistently with when you start out, but if you know what you are doing the Silvia can produce better textured milk.

And the Silvia is a sexy machine - Gaccia not so much. That's obviously very subjective though.

Other than that the two machines are very similar.

As for temp surfing, you have to do that with any single boiler machine. In my experience the Silvia is not tempramental - and I have not yet found the need for a PID.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Thanks for the knowledge an input as always. My old espresso machine has now officially breathed its last breath, so will be on a more active search.

I’ve used both and the Silvia is a better machine for sure.

Another competitor in this space is the Oscar, I may have a lead on one in the next week or so.

If you keen let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have noticed the Oscar, but tends to be one level up on the price point. Might just be interested though. Please let me know what comes along.

I've been using the Silvia with a Rocky grinder for the past year. IMO the Silvia is the best machine at the price point. I was also considering the Gaccia but what put me off was the steam wand - the Silvia has a strong steam wand you'd find on commercial machines whereas the Gaccia has a double hole (ie: beginner) steam wand found on cheaper machines.

The Gaccia is easier to steam consistently with when you start out, but if you know what you are doing the Silvia can produce better textured milk.

And the Silvia is a sexy machine - Gaccia not so much. That's obviously very subjective though.

Other than that the two machines are very similar.

As for temp surfing, you have to do that with any single boiler machine. In my experience the Silvia is not tempramental - and I have not yet found the need for a PID.

Totally agree on the rather ugly look of the Gaggia. The steam wand can be replaced with a Silvia unit without much hassle, giving you half decent foam.

Totally agree on the rather ugly look of the Gaggia. The steam wand can be replaced with a Silvia unit without much hassle, giving you half decent foam.

I've heard this is possible - the guy trying to sell me the Gaccia pushed this point really hard to convince me. But in my opinion doing that doesn't make sense - the machines cost the same - so why buy the uglier of the two machines just to replace parts on it and essentially get an "ugly" Silvia...

If you do end up getting the Silvia, have a look at Cape Coffee Beans (online store), they have a special where you get the Silvia machine, Rocky grinder, and base which has a built in knock box and drawer at the price of Machine plus Grinder, essentially giving you the base unit for free. They also have special editions of the Silvia in Black and Orange (not my cup of tea, but if that's what floats your boat it's something quite cool and different - although 2k more expensive)

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/espresso-machines/products/rancilio-home-espresso-bundle

I bought my machine through Yuppie Chef - can highly recommend them as well - excellent service and after sales support.

https://www.yuppiechef.com/rancilio.htm?id=10271&name=Rancilio-Silvia-M-V5-Manual-Espresso-Machine

There are so many good options out there you really dont need to compromise any more. 

The gaggia is great, always loved them, tiny boiler and poor steam for the same price as a Silvia.. wouldnt buy one unless its a screaming deal!

Also Grimac Mia's, if you see one for a decent price they are a joy to own, I love mine! Only issue is its larger than the others, but, huge boiler and killer steam! 

Edited by the nerd

New prices not quite in the budget, so keep a close eye on the second hand market. Gaggia does tend to be a fair bit cheaper on average in this case.

That 2L boiler on the Oscar does seem a little excessive for making 1 maybe 2 cups of coffee.

Edited by Alouette3

New prices not quite in the budget, so keep a close eye on the second hand market. Gaggia does tend to be a fair bit cheaper on average in this case.

That 2L boiler on the Oscar does seem a little excessive for making 1 maybe 2 cups of coffee.

I've learnt that you want a slightly bigger boiler in these little machines as the steam eats into that volume

Totally agree that if you have to choose between the Silvia and the classic at the same price Silvia is a better bet. But I've found you can pick up the Gaggia Classic much cheaper second hand - e.g. https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-coffee-makers/kempton-park/gaggia-classic/1002389589840911249152009

There are so many good options out there you really dont need to compromise any more. 

The gaggia is great, always loved them, tiny boiler and poor steam for the same price as a Silvia.. wouldnt buy one unless its a screaming deal!

Also Grimac Mia's, if you see one for a decent price they are a joy to own, I love mine! Only issue is its larger than the others, but, huge boiler and killer steam! 

When you have three mates over and want to make 4 coffees, the bigger boiler enables you to bang out 4 doubles while steaming milk.

When you have three mates over and want to make 4 coffees, the bigger boiler enables you to bang out 4 doubles while steaming milk.

Agreed - and especially if you have a single boiler where you need to surf temp you use that boiler up fast making a few cups.

in theory, but reality its not really an issue, i paid nothing(R4k) for my almost new Oscar, Nerd can vouch for its condition :blush:

i don't have issue making multiple cups, when having family or mates over, if there is a gripe its the 5mins waiting for the boiler to build pressure, but this is ok a simple turn on machine before brushing teeth on the morning and there you go!

i love my Oscar, can't see myself replacing it anytime soon, i may just upgrade my ascaso grinder soon still deciding!

Agreed - and especially if you have a single boiler where you need to surf temp you use that boiler up fast making a few cups.

Op daai noot, ek dink ons moet vanmiddag se raadsvergadering om 'n koppie koffie voor my vuur hou as dit uit reën.