The Olympics thread…

Tumbleweed

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I presume this is UK time in which case we are +1.

So, is this Wiggins's race? Is his gold a fait accompli?

Surely Wiggins must be favourate after his TT performances at le Tour. Hoping Cancellara can overcome his injuries and take it though.

Edited by Wez-O

Possibly all those who did the TdF are a bit fatigued and at a disadvantage. (Evans even pulled out)

But I am hoping Fris Froome gets a medal.

1. Cancellara *

2. Wiggins

3. Froome

* only because if Wiggins gets any more adulation from the Brits by also becoming their first gold medalist at their home olympics I honestly fear for his health. So far the magnetic field generated by those EPIC sideburns have been keeping everything in place, but we are reaching the point of no return - not much more room for further head expansion.

tony martin....this is the talk of a champion:

World time trial champion Tony Martin believes that while he is in medal contention for Wednesday's event, Tour de France winner Bradley Wigginshas already got one hand on the Olympic gold medal.

The men's 44 kilometre individual time trial starts and finishes at Hampton Court Palace.

Martin broke his scaphoid on the first road stage of the Tour de France, eventually abandoning following the Stage 9 time trial where he punctured and eventually finished in 12th place, 2:16 down on the winning time of Wiggins. The German worked hard in the bid to bring back the main break for Andre Greipel's chances, before pulling out of the road race with 90km before the finish on The Mall. With question marks over Switzerland's Fabian Cancellara following his crash in Saturday's road race, Martin said that Wiggins is the outright favourite to win on Wednesday.

"There's just one name and it's Bradley Wiggins. He's the one to beat," said Martin.

The 27-year-old explained that the injury to the base of his wrist is still causing him difficulty, although his position on the time trial bike shouldn't cause this to be a factor.

"The surface of the road on the course is quite bad but I don't think that's too big a problem, because I'm leaning forward and will be resting on my arms," Martin expained.

"My goal for Wednesday is still a medal. I still hope for gold, but I don't have much hope left," he added.

Edited by The Dictator

12:36:00 BST

Ashleigh Moolman (RSA) had a fine placing in the road race in 10th. Third at the Tour de Free State, she was runner up to Cherise Taylor in the RSA TT champs, but that was way back in March. Taylor protested about her selection.

12:29:36 BST

Clemilda Fernandes Silva of Brazil will be the first to head onto the course at 12:30 local time. Here are some of the key start times for later on in proceedings:

Elizabeth Armitstead (Great Britain) 12:52:30

Emma Johansson (Sweden) 12:54:00

Amber Neben (United States of America) 12:55:30

Emma Pooley (Great Britain) 12:57:00

Clara Hughes (Canada) 12:58:30

Linda Villumsen (New Zealand) 13:00:00

Marianne Vos (Netherlands) 13:01:30

Judith Arndt (Germany) 13:03:00

Kristin Armstrong (United States of America) 13:04:30

12:46:42 BST

And Silva has gone through the first time check in 15:38.

Silva was first starter...

1. Cancellara *

2. Wiggins

3. Froome

* only because if Wiggins gets any more adulation from the Brits by also becoming their first gold medalist at their home olympics I honestly fear for his health. So far the magnetic field generated by those EPIC sideburns have been keeping everything in place, but we are reaching the point of no return - not much more room for further head expansion.

It is rumoured that if Wiggins get's gold he will jump to the top of the list to take Massa's place at Ferrari :ph34r: