Magalies Monster 2012

Honkdonk

Lol

Ok, so I do about 300 to 400 a month, do a fair amount of medium hills and am about 5kg over weight. I rate my fitness at around 6.5 to 7. And I don't eat pies, but make up for it in copious amounts of beer!

So what do you think?

I think you will make it, you just have to decide in what time, the race results are still on the Monster site so you can see where you might be able to come in at. I think the winning time was around 3.15 or something?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't it have the same start as the daggapad route at van gaalens? my word what a hill! loose rocks and very steep!

Doesn't it have the same start as the daggapad route at van gaalens? my word what a hill! loose rocks and very steep!

Route starts off at ATKV Buffelspoort, past the Buffelspoort dam and into the valleys and hills below the Magalies.

I did notice a guy on a ss last year...and I think he finished infront of me...

Nope doesnt go close to vg as mojoman said...the daggapad climb / concrete slabs is about 1.5km long and you climb 100m...the monster is 7km long and you climb 450m give or take....you do the math :eek:

PS the babyhead climb at VG is pretty tech though which does make it quite tricky

I shiver at the thought alone!..

I'll be doing SS, as I now only have SS, but SS is fine and dandy. Rigid fork on the Monster is more of a challenge, but SS must have a rigid fork in my opinion.

Fred Legoney did SS last yr.

Just push when it gets too steep.

Always well organized, so ENJOY

I think you will make it, you just have to decide in what time, the race results are still on the Monster site so you can see where you might be able to come in at. I think the winning time was around 3.15 or something?

What's your fitness like now. Maybe we can do some walking together?

What's your fitness like now. Maybe we can do some walking together?

10kgs lighter, did more hills instead of just riding distance and I reckon my fitness is around 6.5 now. Average ride speeds are about 17-19km now. I am sure I will see you along the way as once again I plan on starting right at the back and taking it easy for the first 10km or more. Had some cramps last year so I will also be making use of that Rehydrate product and better food.

I think that be my aim as well. Keep the engine fueled and well hydrated. There is a science in there somewhere...

Done it a few times - my 10c worth : don't underestimate the 30 odd km after the monster. They are tough! But the monster is a beaut of a climb. Always get a sense of achievement when getting to the top.