3 Wheelsize shootout by MBA

Jeepdude

Puppy! I remember when it was rigid fork or hang on - there were no suspension forks when I started :whistling:

I was actually talking about Hub debates.

Do you remember you and greatwhite sold me my first adult bicycle in '93???

A 17kg fully rigid Haro HT :lol:

Edited by slick

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 650B is not half way between the 26 and 29er. It is in fact closer to a 26er in size. I just did some maths here and the diffs between 26 and 29 is approximately 10%. I can certainly feel that 10% diifference. So much so that I reckon you should be able to feel a substantial variation in the 650B.

According to MTBR:

The graphic below shows the three wheel sizes, 26er – 650b – 29er. Note that 650b is not half way between the size of a 26er and 29er but 39% of the way.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/wheel_size_illus1.gif

I agree with Eldron. People forget about tire width and different shoulder and tread heights and it's influence on actual wheel size, head angle and BB height.

The 650B is not half way between the 26 and 29er. It is in fact closer to a 26er in size. I just did some maths here and the diffs between 26 and 29 is approximately 10%. I can certainly feel that 10% diifference. So much so that I reckon you should be able to feel a substantial variation in the 650B.

Semi agreed. I'm a full supporter and adopter of the 29er platform and agree on feeling the differences... Feeling half the difference will be tougher I reckon. 5%? Thats not a lot. Plus if it's even closer to 26" diam then 4%? 3% yegads man - why bother?

The only place I can see a real opening for 650b is DH where the sheer size of the 29er wheel compromises geometry and/or fitting 650b wheelsets to 26" bikes to keep costs down. If you're gonna buy a full bike with a different wheelsize don't limit yourself to 650b - go the whole hog and buy a 29er I reckon.

I guess I will have to fly in the face of hubbism and actually ride a 650b before making more comments :wacko:

As for your other comment....'93? I can't even remember that far back :eek: I do remember my old Diamond Back Apex in metallic black. Man that thing was a beast - it could flatten children, cars and small cities. The only way you could get it to change direction was with a barge...ah the good olde days...

According to MTBR:

The graphic below shows the three wheel sizes, 26er – 650b – 29er. Note that 650b is not half way between the size of a 26er and 29er but 39% of the way.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/wheel_size_illus1.gif

I agree with Eldron. People forget about tire width and different shoulder and tread heights and it's influence on actual wheel size, head angle and BB height.

Cool graphic!

So 26 to 650b is only 25mm different in diam? Thats 12.5mm radius. Phooey - not a lot.

Rip off your 26x2.0 - add a 26x2.4 and you're mostly there!

Puppy! I remember when it was rigid fork or hang on - there were no suspension forks when I started :whistling:

Jeez, I feel sorry for the guys who threw their hat in with the suspension seat post crew. Their live must be a sea of regret now. :'(

Jeez, I feel sorry for the guys who threw their hat in with the suspension seat post crew. Their live must be a sea of regret now. :'(

I still have my Kona steel frame with no suspension and v brakes. Maybe I can fit some 650B wheels on there :-)

AAK! Fanboy alert! The move to 29erdom has done nothing to improve your skills, dude. You're more confident because the bike can handle more. I should think that if you were to move back to your old sixer, you'd find that your skills have remained the same, or if anything the trip to ninerville has showed you that the line is actually rideable.

Changing wheelsizes does nothing to your level of talent.

Church brother, sing it loud :clap:

Church brother, sing it loud :clap:

Lol!

It's one of my pet hates, dude. I mean, I take more risks when I'm on my DH bike, and take lines, jumps and rail berms like I never would be able to on my xc bike. Does that mean the DH bike elevates my skill level by way of its extra travel, burlier tires and super forgiving nature? Like hell it does. I'm the same rider - the bike just does a whole lot more! Sure, after long enough on the DH bike I'd be able to do some of the same things (at a lower level) on the xc bike. But that's progression, and it happens no matter what bike you're riding, as long as you're constantly pushing your boundaries.

Lol!

It's one of my pet hates, dude. I mean, I take more risks when I'm on my DH bike, and take lines, jumps and rail berms like I never would be able to on my xc bike. Does that mean the DH bike elevates my skill level by way of its extra travel, burlier tires and super forgiving nature? Like hell it does. I'm the same rider - the bike just does a whole lot more! Sure, after long enough on the DH bike I'd be able to do some of the same things (at a lower level) on the xc bike. But that's progression, and it happens no matter what bike you're riding, as long as you're constantly pushing your boundaries.

and practice practice practice lol, the more you ride the more u learn :huh:

Cool graphic!

So 26 to 650b is only 25mm different in diam? Thats 12.5mm radius. Phooey - not a lot.

Rip off your 26x2.0 - add a 26x2.4 and you're mostly there!

I do have 2.4's on my bike. Don't you?