Data roaming costs-be warned!

Mojoman

This is just madness:

And you thought paying R70 per GB for ADSL data in the old days was bad!

You may pay as much as R534,000 per GB for international data roaming. This is the shocking truth about the high data roaming charges which South Africans face when travelling abroad.

What is even more problematic is that these rates are out of the hands of South Africa operators – they simply pass on the bill from their international roaming partners to their subscribers.

Many travelers take their mobile phones or data dongles with them when they travel internationally to stay in touch and be assured they will be able to check their e-mail and surf the web.

It is no secret that international roaming can be costly, but many people are still surprised when they receive a bill of thousands of Rands when returning from an overseas trip.

Too see just how expensive mobile data roaming can be, have a look at some of the international data roaming rates from local cellular operators.

• Vodacom ‘Rest of World’ standard data roaming rate (R128 per MB): R131,000 per GB
  • MTN North America data roaming rate (R3.50 for 25KB): R146,800 per GB
  • MTN Oceania data roaming rate (R4.00 for 25KB): R167,772 per GB
  • Cell C Malaysia data roaming rate (U Mobile – R521.98 for 1MB): R534,477 per GB

It should be noted that Vodacom has a flat rate of R17.50 per MB as part of their “Super-Saver Data Rates”, but these rates are only applicable on selected networks.

To put this in perspective (not that a price of R534,477 per GB needs any perspective), imagine a traveler is in a Malaysian hotel, using the U Mobile network to check mail and do some web surfing. An automated 64-bit Windows 7 service pack update kicks in, downloading the full 903.2MB update.

When this unsuspecting traveler arrives home, he will get a bill of around R500,000 (you read it correctly, half a million bucks) from his beloved mobile provider. The only question which remains is whether selling a kidney or coughing up a lung is the easiest way to settle this account.

There has been some progress from SA operators to lower the cost of international roaming, but the best advice may still be to purchase a prepaid SIM (from that country) when you arrive in a country to avoid bill shock.

http://ht.ly/1k2D3l

Got my skokker last week.Went to Zanzibar in March and only used 40mb,and got the bill......R4000 for 40mb!!!!I'm still crying

Yes its a total rip!

I came home from Italy a few years ago to an R8k data bill - that was just using Google Earth on my laptop to suss out the pay of the land I was travelling through. Had no idea they would bill like this, given that local calls are at local rates. MY logic failed me. Tried to challenge it with MTN, no luck.

In the EU they are legislating against this.

Guest Omega Man

Ja when I travel the 3g card is left at home and data is firmly switched off on the phone.

Most of the time you will have free wifi in your hotel if you need internet but asa previous poster pointed out. The cheapest thing to do is go buy a sim from a local operator when you get there. It's INSANITY that this is even allowed to happen.

i cant remember who i use in Europe but it is a general public connection to wifi for almost any spot in the city centres and is only around R190 for 1 GB and when it runs out you just pre-load. Its brilliant plus 90% of hotels have free wifi.

How do these affect Blackberry services - I know people who choose BB over iPhone because they say it saves them thousands.

i spent 4 days in Madagascar in April, sent 3 MSWord reports and bout 50 odd e-mails, Vodacom smoked the company R27k and some change! HR was not impressed and finance even less impressed!

Yes its a total rip!

I came home from Italy a few years ago to an R8k data bill - that was just using Google Earth on my laptop to suss out the pay of the land I was travelling through. Had no idea they would bill like this, given that local calls are at local rates. MY logic failed me. Tried to challenge it with MTN, no luck.

In the EU they are legislating against this.

Data roaming rates are very high in the EU but there are a few court cases going,so should come down one day.

You do receive a SMS to warn you of the rates but most people just ignore them as they are in a local language.

Ja when I travel the 3g card is left at home and data is firmly switched off on the phone.

Most of the time you will have free wifi in your hotel if you need internet but asa previous poster pointed out. The cheapest thing to do is go buy a sim from a local operator when you get there. It's INSANITY that this is even allowed to happen.

+1

My wife went to Germany the other day and I did some homework beforehand. She just got herself another sim on arrival.

Guest Omega Man

How do these affect Blackberry services - I know people who choose BB over iPhone because they say it saves them thousands.

BB services are data. so you will get smashed. You could switch off mail and the other bits and bobs and just use the bb messenger whilst roaming which will be cheaper but I don't take the chance. I just switch off all data roaming as soon as I get on the plane.

Interestingly. Whilst in Lagos I use the hotel phone to phone the wife and and average phonecall of about 10 minutes would work out to 80 Naira (R4 +-)

I have to go to South America in a week. I need to keep in touch with my mails on my blackberry. How do i go about doing this without getting a massive bill? I won't be browsing the net, just reading and replying to mails if i have too

got the dirty t-shirt too. R4000 vodacom bill for a few visits to an undisclosed website whilst in Botswana.

i think i got about 5 years older the second i opened the bill.

Edited by sadamhussein