How much faster would one be if one drop 10 kg?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#thisisprobablytrue ;)

I have dropped nearly double the OP's questioned weight since the end of Jan but I can't be sure/say if my fitness has improved and by how much ...

I don't really know by how much I may be 'faster' as I have not ridden an event that I can compare to but I can say as others have mentioned that I now enjoy climbing and I never thought I'd say that! It may also be my imagination but it feels like my 'technical riding' has improved albeit still 'crap' compared to most ....

I will however be riding a TT tomorrow (road) which I have ridden every June for the past 8 years or so and that will be interesting but ............ 'slightly' different equipment so again that together with a possible improvement of fitness may mean it is not a real indicator :wacko:

Anyway all I can say is I enjoy my riding more (not that I didn't when I was BIGBEN) and my health is way better :thumbup:

Ben I've got a spare tyre I'll gladly give you.

Should I drop it off before or after your TT tomorrow ??

Ben I've got a spare tyre I'll gladly give you.

Should I drop it off before or after your TT tomorrow ??

After will be fine ;)

That's exactly where power to weight comes into play, acceleration and climbing. Downhills are for fat bastiches like me.

The heavy road rider will always be disadvantaged to the lighter road rider, because:

it is easier for the lighter rider (70kg) to stay with the heavier rider (90kg) on the downhills or flats using his slipstream than it is for the heavier rider to stay with the lighter rider on the climbs.

If your weight is due to obesity, weight loss will improve efficacy of movement/muscle contraction dramatically. If weight is due to muscles mass or bone density the difference will not be adverse. Remember, what you take up-hill assists with you decent as it impacts on momentum. The impact of weight on speed is much overrated ...

Yup have not missed one but also dont know why that makes me a robot - Hey I have not missed Xmas too. Lets face it the 2nd weekend of March is Xmas for cyclist in RSA! Except the one year when it was the 1st weeekend of March for the cricket world cup.

http://results.cycle...?PID=4925&SID=1

Respect!

My first was 2008, and said I wouldn't miss one as long as I could get on a bike - count is 5 now and hoping I'll stay fit enough to see it reach 25. I won't be getting close to those times though.

I lost 10kgs over two months about 10 years ago. Dropped from 90 to 80kgs. The drop in mass was through massive mileage on the bike commuting (80kms per day) so my level of fitness - which has always been very good - increased considerably.

I went from someone who could hang with the A bunch to being able to ride a guy off my wheel who often placed in licenced vets. The major difference for me was finding out that I'm actually quite a good climber when I'm not hauling a bag of lard up the hill with me.

Copy paste from the other thread

Same power drive (Your fitness level) with a far lesser load to haul around ... damned well sure your heart rate would be lower as you will be working far less than should you be carrying the extra load.

Now lets stop these silly questions and put a little real world practice into this.

• Ride a section of trail/road with a incline and time yourself and check your heart rate.
  • Now load up a back pack or small child weighing in at 10kg and do the same route. Don't forget to time yourself and check your heart rate.
  • Now do it again without the loaded back pack or small child and you will fly up that incline.

After this I am sure you will be very motivated to loose the extra weight.

it depend. Up hill or down? what is your wieght and why did you drop 10Kg. was it because of the curry?

Copy paste from the other thread

Same power drive (Your fitness level) with a far lesser load to haul around ... damned well sure your heart rate would be lower as you will be working far less than should you be carrying the extra load.

Now lets stop these silly questions and put a little real world practice into this.

• Ride a section of trail/road with a incline and time yourself and check your heart rate.
  • Now load up a back pack or small child weighing in at 10kg and do the same route. Don't forget to time yourself and check your heart rate.
  • Now do it again without the loaded back pack or small child and you will fly up that incline.

After this I am sure you will be very motivated to loose the extra weight.

The small child will be petrified B)

Dropped nearly 10kgs since February through low carb diet, riding less due to work (so weekends only), therefore fitness not great (but not too bad).

The main benefits:

Average speed on route (Cradle) increased from 24.8 to 27 Km/hr (without suffering much). Note: riding solo, not with group.

Was considering changing cassette to 27 cog for Alpe d'Dainfern, but now comfortable with 25 again (could do 23 if I tried).

Was it worth it? Definitely. It's improved the enjoyment level of weekend rides immensely.

I am in the process having lost 5 kg so far over a 5 km route on the Mtb both through Tokai and up wapad have dropped at least a minute over that short distance

Best though is I feel that slight bit fresher when you do hit the flats