Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

I love these little TV boxes. Why buy a smart TV at all?

I've had the Gen 1 for years, started giving a few issues, and spotted the Gen 2 for a giveaway price. 

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-26 at 18.46.02.jpg

where and how much?

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

I've had the Gen 1 for years, started giving a few issues, and spotted the Gen 2 for a giveaway price. 

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-26 at 18.46.02.jpg

I have always struggled with the remotes.

I just bought another one 2 weeks ago after my previous one gave up due to load shedding surges. I find they work incredibly well and they load the DSTV app without issues as well 🤙 At a R1000 they still represent great value for money.

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Agree with the "Smart TV" notion, but after I went through 2 different TV boxes I decided to put my TV on a full Windows PC.

Nothing fancy, just an old i5 with a decent graphics card, works like a charm.

Edited by TheoG

18 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I have always struggled with the remotes.

I hate having multiple remotes. Many years ago when OneDayOnly would only have one item for the day and at a very good price, I picked up a Logitech Harmony remote. This thing was brilliant and would control all my devices.

Age, plus children, plus being dropped a few times, plus the new TV requiring a Bluetooth remote meant the Harmony was not working well any more. Since Harmony stopped making universal remotes I did lots and lots of searching.

Finally bought this off amazon about a month back. Its the Sofabaton U2 and its brilliant.

SofaBaton U2 Universal Remote, All-in-one Smart Universal Remote Control  with APP & Macro Button, Compatible with TV/Soundbar/Streaming Players and  More, Longer IR Range & Larger Button : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Easy to setup, easy to use and can control up to 15 devices.

My one and only gripe being the buttons having a very hard "click" when pressed.

12 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Agree with the "Smart TV" notion, but after I went through 2 different TV boxes I decided to put my TV on a full Windows PC.

Just over a year back we upgraded from a 32" TV to big mofo TV. It happened to be a smart TV running Android.

Up until then I was using an old macbook as my media centre. I rather enjoy having one less device to maintain. Its not prefect, but its doing what I need it to do.

3 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Just over a year back we upgraded from a 32" TV to big mofo TV. It happened to be a smart TV running Android.

Up until then I was using an old macbook as my media centre. I rather enjoy having one less device to maintain. Its not prefect, but its doing what I need it to do.

My TV is also "Smart" but I just hate any Android so I avoid it like the plague .... 🤪

4 minutes ago, TheoG said:

My TV is also "Smart" but I just hate any Android so I avoid it like the plague .... 🤪

Its the only Android device in my house of fruit. I dont care much for Android devices either, but I have come to terms with it.

40 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I have a tv box on one tv and a pc on the main tv. For me the pc works way better. Even the browsing/filtering choices are nicer than the apps. Much more easier to navigate.

30 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I hate having multiple remotes. Many years ago when OneDayOnly would only have one item for the day and at a very good price, I picked up a Logitech Harmony remote. This thing was brilliant and would control all my devices.

Age, plus children, plus being dropped a few times, plus the new TV requiring a Bluetooth remote meant the Harmony was not working well any more. Since Harmony stopped making universal remotes I did lots and lots of searching.

Finally bought this off amazon about a month back. Its the Sofabaton U2 and its brilliant.

SofaBaton U2 Universal Remote, All-in-one Smart Universal Remote Control  with APP & Macro Button, Compatible with TV/Soundbar/Streaming Players and  More, Longer IR Range & Larger Button : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Easy to setup, easy to use and can control up to 15 devices.

My one and only gripe being the buttons having a very hard "click" when pressed.

install smart remote on your phone.  I have given up on remotes as one sometime struggle with the buttons or the batteries are dead. The only thing with the phone is to make sure its pointed directly to the device.

12 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

install smart remote on your phone.  I have given up on remotes as one sometime struggle with the buttons or the batteries are dead. The only thing with the phone is to make sure its pointed directly to the device.

a) I would need a dedicated phone for the Lounge so everyone can use it

b) quickly adjusting the volume means getting into the phone first, quicker with a remote

c) iPhone has no IR capabilities.

I investigated the Broadlink device option. Your phone talks to the device via wifi and the device transmits either via IT, BT or wifi depending on what you need to control. But again it brings me back to points a and b above.

18 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I have a tv box on one tv and a pc on the main tv. For me the pc works way better. Even the browsing/filtering choices are nicer than the apps. Much more easier to navigate.

with the macbook having the ability to pair an apple remote it was great, the Harmony was able to replicate the apple remote and I could control the macbook like that. Failing that if I needed to do something more intense full remote control from my phone or other macbook allowed this.