AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Not all will agree, but I am liking the DHR front and rear in 2.4"WT.

Had a DHF on the front, but am liking the DHR more.

Slightly smaller "death gap" so I'm not surprised, tbh. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you care about rolling resistance for a front tyre? :P

my 3 top tyres for the front, prioritising grip and on all surfaces. 

Eliminator 2.6

Mary 2.35

Assguy 2.5

All the same width give or take a mm, and all very very good all-rounders. 

I'd add a DHR2 based on Savage's recommendation, but I haven't ridden it on the front personally. 

You should give it a spin, will be amazed at how fast it makes you

Why do you care about rolling resistance for a front tyre? :P

my 3 top tyres for the front, prioritising grip and on all surfaces. 

Eliminator 2.6

Mary 2.35

Assguy 2.5

Because I like to get good traction but not a full on anchor. I found the Assegai great at grip but could feel the 'drag' a fair bit and maybe a bit much for the day to day trails around here (It is packed away, kept and waiting for the next edition of EzelEnduro). I'm running a Eliminator at the moment that shows you can roll well and still have a pocket full of traction but that is coming to the end of it's life so time to see what else there is and if there might be something more suited to the pretty consistent terrain we have in the Summer. Dry, hard, rocky, & loose over all of that.

Was thinking of a Maxxis Dissector just to see (and move it to the back if it was weird) but they only do 27.5 versions and not 29. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Because I like to get good traction but not a full on anchor. I found the Assegai great at grip but could feel the 'drag' a fair bit and maybe a bit much for the day to day trails around here (It is packed away, kept and waiting for the next edition of EzelEnduro). I'm running a Eliminator at the moment that shows you can roll well and still have a pocket full of traction but that is coming to the end of it's life so time to see what else there is and if there might be something more suited to the pretty consistent terrain we have in the Summer. Dry, hard, rocky, & loose over all of that.

Was thinking of a Maxxis Dissector just to see (and move it to the back if it was weird) but they only do 27.5 versions and not 29. 

I'd go Elim again, honestly. It's like an Asseguy Lite. All the grip, none of the chunk. 

And yes, I know what you mean re rolling. Just not a priority for me on the front. BUT. I have to wonder how the slightly taller knobs on the asseguy would have worked in the loose dust that you had on the weekend. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

i have been enjoying my addix Rock Razor (semi slick) in the rear FWIW. i literally felt like I removed an anker lol. 

edit: Schwalbe (obvious)

post-64325-0-79646100-1570531646_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Looks good. Haven't used a WTB in ages but they seem to be getting good review recently. How does that one for rolling resistance? 

I wont lie, these are heavy, but for what I get descending, its worth it. Grip and speed is great as well as braking.

i have been enjoying my addix Rock Razor (semi slick) in the rear FWIW. i literally felt like I removed an anker lol. 

Ja, I like it too. I prefer the Slaughter 2.6 tbh as it feels slightly better in straight-line braking and corner grip, but it fails in 2 areas: Mud (wet is fine) and dust. The middle knobs just can't cope with that. 

Ja, I like it too. I prefer the Slaughter 2.6 tbh as it feels slightly better in straight-line braking and corner grip, but it fails in 2 areas: Mud (wet is fine) and dust. The middle knobs just can't cope with that. 

I'll add one more condition to that. Wet grass. Holy ***, that is the ONE place a semi slick turns on you. All of a sudden your ride turns into an episode of tokyo drift but without the control. 

Going back to the Eliminator, do you think there would be any benefit on running a BLCK DMND over a grid on the front (apart from if you wanted to move it to the back later)? Not had any issues with the Grid casing on the front tbh. 

Going back to the Eliminator, do you think there would be any benefit on running a BLCK DMND over a grid on the front (apart from if you wanted to move it to the back later)? Not had any issues with the Grid casing on the front tbh. 

No. The weight diff is there, obvs, but TBH I'd far rather have a proper casing and if it's eventually gonna move to the back (as my front tyres generally do) then why the hell not. 

If you're running 650 though, good luck getting a Blk dmnd elim locally. we (the TEA party) have been collectively trying for about a year to get some in. Standard response is "yes, we have black diamond butchers for sale"

Er, no. We want eliminators. 

"Yes, we have them in blk dmnd"

in 650? 

"no, 29"

What about 650? 

"we have them in grid, or butcher in blk dmnd"

when will you get blk dmnd 650 Elims?

"We have butchers in blk dmnd"

This with Spaz SA. 

No. The weight diff is there, obvs, but TBH I'd far rather have a proper casing and if it's eventually gonna move to the back (as my front tyres generally do) then why the hell not. 

If you're running 650 though, good luck getting a Blk dmnd elim locally. we (the TEA party) have been collectively trying for about a year to get some in. Standard response is "yes, we have black diamond butchers for sale"

in 650? 

"no, 29"

What about 650? 

This with Spaz SA. 

Bro, just go #29'er-4-Life then ..... will make you faster

Edited by Hairy

in 650? 

"no, 29"

What about 650? 

This with Spaz SA. 

isn't there at hread here somewhere..."is 650b the new 26'er?"  :ph34r:

edit :P :

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/180516-does-650b-have-a-future/?hl=650b

Edited by morneS555

Not all will agree, but I am liking the DHR front and rear in 2.4"WT.

Had a DHF on the front, but am liking the DHR more.

I have DHR II's front and rear in 2.6" WT 27.5 on 36mm internal rims. No complaints so far. Stable, grippy and lots of control.

I have DHR II's front and rear in 2.6" WT 27.5 on 36mm internal rims. No complaints so far. Stable, grippy and lots of control.

That is nice and butch with a 2.6" on a 36mm internal rim!

Should be fun to try that out.