AM tyres... what you running?

patches

I was asked to bring a handful of them to Hakahana this weekend after a few guys killed their tyres in practice on Saturday. Didn't hear of any which had a problem on race day.

they are a FANTASTIC rear tyre. Just a bit thin for my liking - they rolled easily in the corners. 

Having said that, I roll pretty much anything but a Super gravity. Portly fellow, I am.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2.25" Ardent's LUST on the front with either the Crossmark (not my first choice) or better yet a Saguaro 2.2" on the rear.

Thanks Hairy - do you have any experience with the S-Works Fast Track tyres - would the upgrade be worth it?

they are a FANTASTIC rear tyre. Just a bit thin for my liking - they rolled easily in the corners. 

Having said that, I roll pretty much anything but a Super gravity. Portly fellow, I am.

The dual ply WTB casing is pretty close to the SG casing. The single ply I cannot ride.

Marius, I received the conti's from easybike today, so they definitely have stock in 29ers

Got email from Matthew last night telling me that it had arrived,I'm going to pick mine up from there office on Friday.

I'm looking for a replacement 26" front tire. Hopefully locally!

Currently I have

Front: Nobby Nick 2.35 (lugs are wearing and ripping up a bit, but all are still there) 

Rear: WTB Wolverine (twice at hakahana and looking great!).

Must be tubeless compatible! No conti's please, as much as I loved the grip of my X-King the side wall was like a sieve! 

This Hans Dampf seems like the obvious choice: http://www.easybike.co.za/schwalbe-hans-dampf-evo-snakeskin-trailstar-26-x-2-35-tl-easy.html

Are there other options i'm missing?

I got the Contis in Protection sidewall and they are solid no issues even running lower pressures and they are fine,would not do this with the other ones.

I was asked to bring a handful of them to Hakahana this weekend after a few guys killed their tyres in practice on Saturday. Didn't hear of any which had a problem on race day.

The only issue I have is that they are a pain in @rse to fit on roval (Spez) rims but, as you (if you are the dude in the shop on Sat) mentioned on Saturday, that could be fixed with proper UST rims.

Thanks for fixing the tyre, BTW.  Rode 66kms on Sunday and the problem with the valve / leakage appears to be resolved.

Edited by nonky

The only issue I have is that they are a pain in @rse to fit on roval (Spez) rims but, as you (if you are the dude in the shop on Sat) mentioned on Saturday, that could be fixed with proper UST rims.

Thanks for fixing the tyre, BTW.  Rode 66kms on Sunday and the problem with the valve / leakage appears to be resolved.

I was at Hakahana. That must have been Jason.

Yeah, proper UST rims fit proper UST tyres. 

Just a thought... who is running what pressure on their Bronson / Wolverine combo? 

I swear by the MM's, especially for terrain like at Hakahana. Just don't expect them to last long.

I've read some reviews on it, and I don't think it's suitable for gauteng's dry conditions. It looks to have amazing grip, but more designed for loamy soil than our dry hard pack.

1. Yes, a tyre that will give me peace of mind and minimal hassles!

2. I am doing a couple of stage races this year - so something marathon like would probably be appropriate although!

Reliability is important - I enjoyed the Crossmarks because I never had one hassle!

No other real pre-requisites, other than not breaking the bank but that might be wishful thinking! 

What are your thoughts El Capitan and Hairy?

On my XC bike I run the Fast Track 2.2 rear (not S-Works, which has stupid thin sidewalls), with a Spez Captain 2.2 in front. The Captain rolls similarly to a Crossmark but has proper sideknobs for cornering. Unfortunately availability of the Captains is poor so you might not find one. My second choice for the front would the Spez Ground Control, which is a great all-round tyre with decent grippy knobs.

I got the Contis in Protection sidewall and they are solid no issues even running lower pressures and they are fine,would not do this with the other ones.

I'm just not keen on spending days flipping them on a bucket trying to get them to seal properly. 

I swear by the MM's, especially for terrain like at Hakahana. Just don't expect them to last long.

From the sounds of it, I think the MM on the front will be fine for my riding. Considering its expected life span there shouldn't be an issue as I don't do too many km's.

Hi Nico, ek het die naweek gerace met 'n Butcher voor en Purgatory (grid) agter. Was eers baie skepies maar ek het hulle 2.4psi gehardloop en love die kombinasie nou. Die butcher het serious baie grip in los, klipperige grond. Dit sou nice gewees het as hulle net so bietjie breër was though.

Heinrich, wat het jy op jou Stumpy tans? Ek gaan nou Prgatory Grid met Butcher gaan.

MM up front can last a long time. I've had mine for over a year now. its worn, but not broken. far from it. For clarity: MM (SG, trailstar)

Thanks Hairy - do you have any experience with the S-Works Fast Track tyres - would the upgrade be worth it?

Have run Fast Tracks (and a Renegade, Purgatory and a Ground Control) on the rear before, but would never go with a flimsier sidewall than their std control casings. All those ridden were the std Control sidewall, never cut them, only found that on the rear I would prefer a tyre with a stiffer sidewall or the Spaz tyres in the Grid sidewall .... I am a big boned rider and find that the std Spaze tyres squirm, or rather fold a little easy a low pressure, the Grids should improve this.

Spaz make decent marathon tyres.....just don't be a weight weenie, so no S-Verks sidewalls please.