Best Chain lube for MTB

Pieterg

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone complaining about squirt guncking up your chain it's because you are using too much and also not wiping the excess off.... lube is ment to be on the inside i.e. on the rollers everything on the outside is 100 percent useless

I agree i Have Been using squirt lube for the past year and have had excellent usage for the Price. I Clean chain with a suitable degreaser leave to dry and run some lube over and leave to dry for a couple of hours until the lube has set it forms quite a protective wax covering over the chain. i have never had a build up of dirt applying it like this i have used castrol before and found the dirt to stick to it like glue

• 3 months later...

I'm frustrated.... I've used Squirt (dry) in dry/dusty conditions - applied as per instuctions - only to find halfway through a Big Red Barn ride - no more lube on chain!!!! I'm beginning to hate that stuff....

I'm trying White Lightning at the moment, but I'm not impressed - my gears are grinding and chain squealing halfway through a ride.

I've watched some youtube vids on applying lube, and I do it correctly - apply on inside of chain for three crank revolutions, wipe excess and allow to dry.

I degrease and dry my chain after every ride, and apply lube the night before the ride. So why do these lubes not want to stay on my chain, I mean, it should stick for at least 30km's, right?

Going to start using my motorbike lube..... fed up with these crappy mtb lubes.

Edited by wiledog_x

Tried them all and find Squirt to be the best in terms of durability and cleanliness . 

I'm frustrated.... I've used Squirt (dry) in dry/dusty conditions - applied as per instuctions - only to find halfway through a Big Red Barn ride - no more lube on chain!!!! I'm beginning to hate that stuff....

I'm trying White Lightning at the moment, but I'm not impressed - my gears are grinding and chain squealing halfway through a ride.

I've watched some youtube vids on applying lube, and I do it correctly - apply on inside of chain for three crank revolutions, wipe excess and allow to dry.

I degrease and dry my chain after every ride, and apply lube the night before the ride. So why do these lubes not want to stay on my chain, I mean, it should stick for at least 30km's, right?

Going to start using my motorbike lube..... fed up with these crappy mtb lubes.

Could be that you're not letting the chain dry properly before applying lube. Also make sure you rinse the degreaser off thoroughly. I apply it, take it for a short ride, leave overnight, then wipe off the excess. Squirt lasts me 100km between applications, on average.

Jeez...recently decided to give Squrt and even Smoove another go...

Even going so far as to put an individual drop on each link then wipe excess...just doesn't do it for me. It really appears to leave a buildup.

Rock n Roll Extreme all the way...the blue one...When you can find the stuff buy 3 bottles, seems to be scarce whenever I'm running low on an old bottle!

• 4 years later...

Anyone Tried Max Wax? 

Rapide Sells It - Made Locally

Yes. It's like a thicker, heavier version of Squirt. I've gone back to Wurth.

• 1 month later...

Been using squirt the last two years. Does the job but does not last very long and I find that my chain gets gunked up rather quickly.

Tried smoove once and it was an epic fail for me. Chain struggled to chain gears. Trying it again today for tomorrow's ride.

Took my bike to the LBS last week for a major service and they lubed with Q Bike. Must say I am highly impressed with it so far. Did three rides with it and chain is still rather clean. Also gears were changing very smoothly.

If Smoove does not work out for me tomorrow then I am moving to Q bike.

Edited by Wimmas

keep going back to squirt... but I clean my bikes frequently and relube. every month or so I remove all the gunk and soak chains in benzine - once all is super clean I re- squirt.

rinse - cycle - repeat....

nothing feels as smooth other than race day custom chain wax with ptfe or speedwax... but watch for wear with speedwax... thats if you can find it in the first place

watch this:

Edited by s14phoenix