Roof racks on the new VW Polo

Fatboy85

Factory or VW approved towbar is going to cost a bit. Nessesary evil for you warranty.

From there a platform style carrier like the Menabo Winny is awesome.

Roofracks will actually be cheaper. Around R6500 with carriers from Thule.

Towbar alone could set you back that much. However fuel consumption and windnoise swings it to the towbar mount.

I managed to talk the kind sales lady into throwing in a towbar at no cost when I bought my vw. I don't like the look of roof racks.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my luck.

Garage, carport, low tree, etc. I will somehow and some day drive into it with bikes on the roof.

Ek ook.

I got the thule clip on's for the hatch, worked perfectly, traded my car and now sitting with a sedan so aslo looking for a new bike rack,

Thule Towbar rack for the win, easy mounting of rack and bike, easy to lock everything up, min noise and drag

I own the same car and have tried all the racks. Roof racks- noise from 75kmph. You get used to it quickly, fuel consumption is affected slightly. Thule boot clip- will damage paintwork unless fitted with extra rubbers. Best for me was older holdfast rack-towbar fitted, they are stronger and cheaper than thule.

• 2 weeks later...

have the option to put my back on a holdfast towbar mounted rack, much prefer to take the time (and effort) to put my bike INSIDE my car. Fortunately I have the space. Far too many folks out there texting/reading while driving and braking late. One soft nudge or bump and your bikes toast.

on the roof...naaaaah, increases fuel comsumption and drag a lot especially if you drive on the highway at speed. Stick to the towbar mounted racks.

Had the Thule aero roof racks on my polo and civic and didn't have issues with the noise.

If anyone wants aero bars, I have a set for sale. Also have the boots, just not sure what models they fit.

Can't seem to find anyway of putting roof racks on my Honda Brio.

My polo has a factory fitted tow bar and i bought one of those cheap thule express racks and it works like a charm!

Post a pic. I also have a factory fitted bar.

Its from a bit far away but all i have now!

Same tow bar. Will work for me.

thanks

on the roof...naaaaah, increases fuel comsumption and drag a lot especially if you drive on the highway at speed. Stick to the towbar mounted racks.

Ask me all about it, I have roofracks on a Golf and those racks are like a parachute with bikes on... 11,3l/100km

Without bikes and just the roofrack 8,2l/100km

Roofracks off completely 7,2l/100km

This is average open road driving. Ive had my roofracks for 1,5 years and they are the wing shaped ones. They are still noisy from 15km/h, dont let anyone BS you otherwise.

post-12441-0-80714700-1374040299_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeanN

Same tow bar. Will work for me.

thanks

If driven with two mountain bikes on the rack without issue and took both my road and mountain bike with me on holiday in december without any issues.

Towbar mount on the Accord and with 2 bikes I noticed a 2.5l/100km difference in fuel consumption. Not too bad.

Ask me all about it, I have roofracks on a Golf and those racks are like a parachute with bikes on... 11,3l/100km

Without bikes and just the roofrack 8,2l/100km

Roofracks off completely 7,2l/100km

This is average open road driving. Ive had my roofracks for 1,5 years and they are the wing shaped ones. They are still noisy from 15km/h, dont let anyone BS you otherwise.

post-12441-0-80714700-1374040299_thumb.jpg

Amen brother.

That's why I have the racks on my wife's car.

That and the fact that HER bike goes on the roof coz it's a full susser