Carrying tools etc?

Clinton1

Strap a tube and tyre lever to the seatpost with duck tape. Get a minimalistic camelback like a 2l one and only carry the multitool and some stick-on patches. For me the major benefit of a camelback is I am able to drink when I want, have you tried drinking from a bottle going downhill? If you need more than 2l then just add a bottle, but drink the bottle 1st, before the camelback, less chance of having a turd stuck to the bottle`s mouthpiece as you take a gulp, the camelback will keep cooler longer also. The rest like food, keys and armwarmers can go into shirt pockets.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I always see folks on here slagging off the use of saddle bags

Bottom line = who cares a toss about their opinion; try it and see if it works for you.

Let's wrap this one up.

Saddle bags and Camelbacks are for fun riders in light of that, the OP should decide if he fits right in or not.

Other than that, a team car.

Edited by Dangle

Well put, but then neither of them really impact my life.

As for the OP, I yet have to see him engage in to a discussion without operating at that level.

Only hubber that i've ever blocked, one of my better decisions.

Just be careful of strapping a tube to your seat post. Leave it there for a month or 2 and when you really need it, it has a hole from rubbing together. Happened many times.

Always amazes me that guys are willing to pack their shirts like a pack horse but won't use a tubby bag or camelpack. If your going to carry the goodies, then at least make it comfortable. I suppose I am still old school, I carry my tools etc in a tubbie bag, and still use a backpack for juice. At least I don't run out of juice on those races where it suddenly gets really hot and all the water tables dry up like it so often happens. The amount of times I have had to help guys that carry nothing is crazy. Actually costs me a lot of money 1x bomb R12 1 x Tube R50. In one race I gave away 2 tubes 4 bombs and fixed 2 chains........

If your going to carry nothing make sure you have your dad riding the race cause he will eventually come past you with all the tools plus the kitchen sink :clap:

you got to be kidding !!!

are some people not big enough to work out how to carry/do their own things in live or do they need their hands held!

FFS , carry your own **** however you please why you want approval from hubbers !

Just be careful of strapping a tube to your seat post. Leave it there for a month or 2 and when you really need it, it has a hole from rubbing together. Happened many times.

Always amazes me that guys are willing to pack their shirts like a pack horse but won't use a tubby bag or camelpack. If your going to carry the goodies, then at least make it comfortable. I suppose I am still old school, I carry my tools etc in a tubbie bag, and still use a backpack for juice. At least I don't run out of juice on those races where it suddenly gets really hot and all the water tables dry up like it so often happens. The amount of times I have had to help guys that carry nothing is crazy. Actually costs me a lot of money 1x bomb R12 1 x Tube R50. In one race I gave away 2 tubes 4 bombs and fixed 2 chains........

If your going to carry nothing make sure you have your dad riding the race cause he will eventually come past you with all the tools plus the kitchen sink :clap:

Jou swaer by any chance...that pic of 3 bottles and spares scattered 100m from the start at the 3towers still has me peeing my pants. Demmit he was upset.

Dont like carrying tools and stuff in my pockets or having stuff taped to the bike so....

Small camel Bak for mtb with the bladder removed for 99% of rides

Small saddle bag for road bike

After carring a saddle bag for years on my mtb, I now carry the needed in my back pocket. Simple-if it does not fit in your pocket than you are carring 2 much. You only need a tube, power link, bomb, multitool and levers. And your spare medical aid card! Strap the tube or bomb to the saddle post.

Thread still going so i'll add another 2c, when it comes to saddle bag type i prefer the non clip fit, i have one permanent (small) on my road bike and another (larger) for my MTB's and just switch the tube whether i'm riding 29 or 26.

To all the smartasses who feel they dont need to carry any more than they do, dont expect somebody who does to stop and help you. :whistling:

another fun topic, negatives of a saddlebag,

1 its noisy and irretating,

2, they come loose or the mounting brackets break off,

3, how many people have you seen looking for their wallets and keys and phones once the zipper openend up accidently.

I will only use one on stage races where i need to carry additional spares, otherwise everything i need is in my camelback "which i know you dont like" but its stil the best device in my opinion to carry stuffs.

another fun topic, negatives of a saddlebag,

1 its noisy and irretating,

2, they come loose or the mounting brackets break off,

3, how many people have you seen looking for their wallets and keys and phones once the zipper openend up accidently.

I will only use one on stage races where i need to carry additional spares, otherwise everything i need is in my camelback "which i know you dont like" but its stil the best device in my opinion to carry stuffs.

You're not getting it,are you

Don't be silly....

Stop being so argumentative and read what we write instead of reading what you want to read.

Of course your arrogance would mean that it could not possibly be as a result of what you are writing not quite coming out as you had it in your head! And heed your own advice. More than one person has pointed out that I was referring to using a bottle to keep tools etc but you keep flying off on a tangent about cow and dog crap.

Saddle bag dude. Who wants their shirt (or camelback) full of iron mongery? And WTF put a tool kit in a water bottle cage? I mean, WTF?

When you can almost, but not quite catch Burry, then maybe also tape a tube to your frame. And like him, walk home when anything beyond bombing one tube goes wrong. Except he won't have to walk home.

Think you might have hit the nail here. Too many on here watch the TdF and Burry and wanna be like them but are far from it! :D

Of course I amseen as the arrogant/stubborn/argumentative one because I do not buy into this "I must own the best and then people will think I am the best" mentality.

The answers were given on page 1, since then it's been padding. Like is a cell. Tools no tools, bag no bag, cameltoe no cameltoe, water bottle no water bottle, pocket no pocket. Who really cares?

Agreed. 6 pages of this... just use the saddle bag already!

This forum would be SO much fun if you two had your way. First answer that came alone, accept it, buy the camelbak and move on to the next topic.... Fun! :D