Ripped off or just hard times?

edkin

This last week I was in George preparing for the Knysna MTB. On Thursday I decided to refresh the slime in my tyres. I deflated the tyres and filled up with slime. Because its a mission to pop the tyres with a hand pump I thought I'd go to the local LBS around the corner and ask them to pop the tyres for me.

I walked into the shop and inquired from the young assistant. "No problem" he says and off we went into the workshop. He unscrewed the valve, popped the tyres, screwed the valve back on and job done. The time taken from start to finish was 20 minutes. Why so long? He couldn't start up the compressor while the owner of the shop was on the phone.

As I was walking out I inquired out of courtesy if there was a charge, expecting there to be none. To my surprise his reply was "Aah yes, there's a R20 labour charge". I was really surprised because in Cape Town the local LBS's are happy to do the pop at no charge. I had to repeat my inquiry twice because I thought he was joking at first.

I paid up and walked out the shop with a strong feeling of been ripped off and resolved never to go back to that particular LBS again.

Granted he did do labour for me and he used electricty in starting up the compressor but R20? I have no doubt he thumb sucked that number. It could just as easily been R10 or R50. Its the principle of the thing that irks me, not the number.

What I should have done in hindsight was to have enquired up front if there was going to be a charge. I've certainly learned from this.

Why am I putting this post up? I thought was being ripped off but maybe I'm wrong and just spoiled by the good service from the Cape Town franchises. Perhaps times are hard in George and any revenue coming in is a delay from the wolves baying at the door.

Why am I not naming the LBS in question?

In hindsight I should have gone to the owner of the shop and confirmed that there was a charge. I didn't and therefore I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Moral of the story:

Whenever you go into an LBS in George enquire as to the charge up front, not after the jobeis complete

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My LBS never charge me either, but they did spent time on you so its not wrong of them to charge you, but I know what you are saying. I do allot of work for my clients without charging them anything.

Edited by koukie

Tough times i reckon - not many business's have the ability to give 'free bees' particulaly as he realised you were a once off and not a local

EVERYTHING costs money! So when its free, I see it as a goodwill gesture! But certainly not expected.

Well if you go to your LBS in Cape Town they probably wont charge you..... they will make up the $$ with your next purchase...

So R20.00 labour charge is fair i think .....But thats my opinion .........

Ripped off.

Edit: this bit below added

• you should have asked ...
  • the shop should have disclosed if there was a fee to be charged up front

Edited by Hairy

as far as schoolfees go, R20 is way cheap.

i would expect there to ba charge for anything a bicycle shop does.

Why did you not go to a garage ?

all you need is a valve adaptor ( R20 ) and you can do them yourself .

post-8504-0-19361000-1342096260.jpg

Edited by Iron

George has more LBS's than you think. At least 7 or 8. I was surprised at the amount of shops I saw when I started looking

all you need is a valve adaptor ( R20 ) and you can do them yourself .

Um, don't most petrol station pumps require something to compress the "piepietjie" in the middle of the inflator nozzle before air willcome out?

I swopped my cranks not so long ago. Did not have the right tools to take the first one off so went to Eagle Canyon cycles and asked the guy to strip the crank off for me. I fully expected to pay something. 10 Minutes later I got my frame with the stripped crank in a bag and ZERO charge and I know they were busy. I suppose it depends on who's behind the counter. Maybe the LBS in your case wanted money for a coke.