Creative way to keep/store a bike indoors

Carrot

can one hang their bikes upside down? I see the one picture has them upside down on a staircase which I happen to have in my place!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can one hang their bikes upside down? I see the one picture has them upside down on a staircase which I happen to have in my place!

Was thinking the same thing can we get a machies opinion.

Will it not have any negative effects on the disc brakes and forks.

All breaks are shimano. 2x SLX and 1x XTR.

Forks 1x rigid (no worries) 1x RS recon gold, 1x 29er Reba XX.

As far as I remember all brakes using the "open-system" concept do not like being upside down. I know the brakes on my Fuji hates it. Takes a bit of pumping to get the pressure back in the lines.

As far as I remember all brakes using the "open-system" concept do not like being upside down. I know the brakes on my Fuji hates it. Takes a bit of pumping to get the pressure back in the lines.

Are shimano "open system"?

What about just building a picture frame around the bike, so when its hanging on the wall its like a piece of art.

Great idea especially for a classic bike.

We have the same problem. But i've come up with a semi solution, seeing as outside doesn't work. I've taken them upstairs, and put the front wheel & fork over the railing on the stairs. Enough space for 4 bikes, and it holds them solid. Just need to arrange a strap or something to keep them closer to the railing, otherwise we hit our heads on the way down...

Why not just fit 'hooks' to catch the bars and saddle on the up-slope of the staircase and the issue is gone?

Edited by Ed-Zulu

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Bike-Valet-Reclamation-Art-Furniture-Wall-Mount-Kickstarter-Bicycle-Storage.jpg

http://www.coolhunting.com/2012/07/bike-2-thumb-408x272-43328.jpghttp://www.coolhunting.com/2012/07/bike-3-thumb-207x272-43330.jpg

I like how this design gives the extra box storage, for spares and whatnot.

Edited by Carrot

What bothers me about hanging the bike by its RIMS is that with repeating mounting it'll start making marks on my black RIMS, don't like this much...

What bothers me about hanging the bike by its RIMS is that with repeating mounting it'll start making marks on my black RIMS, don't like this much...

I wrapped some handlebar tape around the Hook I hang my bikes from. Nice and cushy cork to prevent any damage.

At the moment I just have the bikes on the good old hold fast type rack the LBS use on their show room floor.

I rather like the one made from roofing timber, but would possible "upgrade" that with a system to hold the front wheel in place a little more securely.

Those hippie fixie bikes on those nice looking floating shelves are great, but one you have a real bike with min 700mm wide bars you then end up on the 350-450mm mark from the wall and would require decent subframe to fix that puppy to the wall.

Keep the ideas coming, this could be a good thread.