What is your true motivation for cycling?

The_Break

my stupid friend lent me his spare bike and now I am addicted...

Nice Avatar... Pacino is one sick Mofo..

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my stupid friend lent me his spare bike and now I am addicted...

Haha, I loaned my spare bike to a friend in November, he got himself a bike on the weekend.

screwed up knee...cycling is pretty much the only thing that doesn't cause me pain

Uhm.... Really? Maybe you not riding hard enough or mostly on flats..... Nah! I'm just kidding..... I actually started getting knee pain due to an old injury that started acting up as my leg muscles started to develop again......

The feeling of freedom. Wind through my hair. Sunrises and sunsets pouring with sweat but a glint in your eye. The adrenaline of the single track. The feeling of satisfaction on completing a tough event. The amazing camaraderie in the sport. Watching the TdF. The places you see that cannot be accessed by any other means. Listening to newbies talk .... about riding 50 k's for the1st time or completing their first Argus, then maybe moving onto the real fun of mountain biking.

Love the sport and everything that goes with it. Love the riders and all they do!

Carpe diem and take your bike for a ride ... anywhere, anytime .... freedom!

The feeling of freedom. Wind through my hair. Sunrises and sunsets pouring with sweat but a glint in your eye. The adrenaline of the single track. The feeling of satisfaction on completing a tough event. The amazing camaraderie in the sport. Watching the TdF. The places you see that cannot be accessed by any other means. Listening to newbies talk .... about riding 50 k's for the1st time or completing their first Argus, then maybe moving onto the real fun of mountain biking.

Love the sport and everything that goes with it. Love the riders and all they do!

This line especially "the places you see that cannot be accessed by any other means".

Edited by PotatoBagMan

I've always ridden bikes, I don't remember ever not having some sort of bike.

Wanted to do the argus when I was in school but came off the bike and broke my wrist. I gave up on cycling. Then a few years out of school and a mate of mine mentioned doing the Argus. I needed no more encouragement and the moment I was back on the bike the feeling of freedom came back.

As others have mentioned its my church, my stress relief, the joy of just grinding away covering km over km.

and as the years have added up, the experience has grown, and now just using that experience and techniques to do things that make people go wow even though you're relatively unfit.

Sucking a truck and passing cars then seeing the reactions on people's faces.

Being fitter than the couch potatoes around you and laughing at them huffing and puffing after climbing a flight of stairs

The feeling of accomplishing what you started out thinking were crazy goals ( the first time riding a 100km race, doing 10 Argus on the trot even though you thought you'd never be able to)

There are so many reasons. But i think most of all it's probably in my blood, my dad was big into cycling and almost turned pro before meeting my mom.

therapy.

Without exercise my AAD plays up bigtime.

Running works but can be hard on the body.

Trail running works better but is harder on the body.

Road Cycling is less hard on the body, requires more concentration than running, but takes more time.

Duathlon is a pleasant balance.

Mtbking is like better than road cycling as it is harder on the body, requires more concentration and takes more time.

Simple, without between half and hour and two hours exercise twice a week, I become disfunctional, my thought wonder (which can become dangerous when I try solve family problem using warfare concepts) and I battle to write anything down.

-Getting that lines perfect

-Fitness

-Adrenaline Rush

-Strava KOM

-Friends & family

-Coffee

-Keeps me sane

-Its in my blood

-I love bikes

Cycling kept me sane for a long time. Hyper stressed at work, so a Saturday and Sunday ride were the only thing that could slow the mind down. It was my church for many years. I escaped to the hiss of wheels on a morning rIde. The only way to descRibe it is as a meditative stae, the flow of a perfect trail. When you react subconsciously to the trail you are on, but cannot remember doing anything. Pure bliss.

I have developed over the years an inordinate love of bikes. Now it is a passion. I love to build them. They are beautiful machines, and have such a harmony.

Top first post right there.