What is your true motivation for cycling?

The_Break

Ok here is a question for you guys.

Over the years I have moved through the ranks from newbie cyclist, to mid bunch, then up to A bunch and beyond and have noticed a general (and I am generalizing) trend in the kind of talk that goes on at races, at parties, at the dinner table, etc; this being that more often than not cycling is more about belonging to something and feeling accepted and perceived in a certain way than it is about pure passion for the sport itself.

There is a lot of humility in the newbie and pro ranks, but in between there is a lot of "talk." It is this kind of talk about how good you are, how expensive your bike is, what races you have done, how far your training rides are, etc that gives me the feeling that people want to be seen as something more than they are or more than they feel they are. Whilst I admitedly do get rather irritated with all the talk and hype, I realize that there is something deeper behind this all.

What do you guys think. What is the real reason why you cycle and spend as much time and money as you do. Is it because it is a real passion or maybe something deeper? Interested to hear.

Edited by The_Break

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...haha! ok, but seriously... it's the best alone time I can have! I don't care much for races etc. I also don't care for the pushing oneself (fitness wise). I just love turing the cranks and being on the bike. I forget about everything else when I'm behind bars!

to pick up chicks

Now there is a noteworthy reason! 10 out of 10

Edited by The_Break

Yeah, but it doesn't work very well.

I know... I may have to pull out all the stops and move over to lycra and shaved legs. Girls are suckerd for guys in tighty pants with smooth legs.

I dont think most of us know our true motivations for most of the things we do.

Even the way the OP is set up projects an image of how the person wants to be perceived, as does this reply about me.

Safe to say, if you're competitive you werent loved enough by your parents, have a small willie & a need to prove yourself at every opportunity through deep-seated feelings of inadequacy & latent homosexuality.

Me? I just love the feel of the wind through (whats left) of my hair :whistling:

......and to WIN, WIN, WIN - ya hear me!!!! I WANT TO WIN

I know... I may have to pull out all the stops and move over to lycra and shaved legs. Girls are suckerd for guys in tighty pants with smooth legs.

Depends on the size of the bulge. Did I just say that?

Depends on the size of the bulge. Did I just say that?

isn't that why you lycra guys carry spare socks?