Cape Epic Battle Plan ...

Dangle & Rouxtjie (and all those avid cycling and coaching experts that have contributed so generously to date) We offer an individualised approach that is constantly adapted according to your lifestyle - like one of my Epic athletes that had work commitments during a crucial part of his preparation

There isn’t a single athlete in the world who’s training haven’t been interrupted by work, a family occasion, illness or injury so you’d expect the altering of any training program to come par for the course. It shouldn’t be regarded as optional extra or some work of miracle for a trainer to alter a program.

I agree, but try that with an off-the-shelve program or on-line programs! Also, the crux is not merely providing alternative exercises, but also to remain goal oriented - its the coach's responsibility to ensure the athlete remains on track.

for the 2012 Epic for whom we had to design alternative/cross training as he couldn't get on a bike during that 6-weeks period. A 2-week cross-over training period saw him and his riding partner fit for a top-50 finish. Each athlete is guided to define his/her own performance goal and milestones

would love to know what that means as it also seems pretty basic starting off point, any athlete should know what they want to achieve what guidance do you provide??

My psychology background and many years' expertise as management consultant serves me well to ensure that my athletes define goals that are specific, measurable and achievable but "scary".

for achieving that, and the coaching plan for attaining that is divided into an off-peak period, pre-peak period and peak performance period,do you only advise periodization or are you open to other approaches, and who is to say things like the always fit approach doesnt work for certain scenarios????

A coaching plan is a "project plan". And every goal has a unique project plan with predefined milestones that are "reversed engineered" from the goal. On the other hand, successfully attaining a performance goal requires certain elements of conditioning, which differ as the "project" gets closer to goal achievement. Periodization is merely a concept many athletes understand that refers to making "bite size chunks" - in an off-peak period one would spend more time on stamina but less on speed, and visa versa for the peak period. However, if you know what elements and how much you should focus on each within each period and call it something else, the end result should still be achieved. I also refer to it as anticipatory response coaching but our experts on theHub says it is not understandable. Also, I cannot impose things on athletes if they are uncomfortable with it - I advise, but it is a consultative approach (that fine line between facilitation and manipulation :D)

each period with its own unique focus on fitness elements. This is facilitated through a training program and logbook software that allows the athlete to have real-time visual feedback on own progress. the only thing in here that I havent really heard off and would like to know more about. So some value add there.

You aint see nothing yet - the "hidden agenda" with that, apart from graphs and figures, is to 1) close the gap between perceived level and real level of effort; and 2) create a mechanism whereby every training session serves as source of inspiration for the next one.

Constant feedback and communication ensure that the conditioning program remains goal oriented. any coach should be doing that anyway, and hardly justifies a premium.

Agree, every coach should do that.

We view skills development, race strategy and nutritional planning as part of the conditioning process and it forms part of the coaching plan. okay so for some there might be some value add in that.

Hope that those that do not view that as adding value has alternatives in place - pacing strategy for example is a science, not even talking about nutritional planning!

As for pricing and more detail, anyone interested can contact us.

Jy praat baie en sê min.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your personal best Enticement? How many Epic's / multi-day MTB stage races have you competed in? If you have, then what results have you achieved?

You got me - only XCSR podium finishers make good Epic coaches!

Jy praat baie en sê min.

Die wonder van anonieme respons - kommunikasie-hoflikheid is 'n visioen! Miskien is die dilemma lees-georienteer ...

You got me - only XCSR podium finishers make good Epic coaches!

Mate if I'm getting someone to go into battle with me (your choice of words) then I want to know that they know what it takes to compete day after day at a certain level. I can get a Virgin Active personal trainer to get me physically strong and fit enough for Epic. But Epic is probably 40% physical and 60% pyschological so I need my coach to also be able to help me with the latter. I'm sorry but if you haven't done any multi day endurance events (doesn't have to be cycling) then I'm going to be a little reluctant in retaining your services.

Maybe you can do the job without having done the event but you need to build up a strong track record of various clients getting great results before you can make the claims you've made here.

Mate if I'm getting someone to go into battle with me (your choice of words) then I want to know that they know what it takes to compete day after day at a certain level. I can get a Virgin Active personal trainer to get me physically strong and fit enough for Epic. But Epic is probably 40% physical and 60% pyschological so I need my coach to also be able to help me with the latter. I'm sorry but if you haven't done any multi day endurance events (doesn't have to be cycling) then I'm going to be a little reluctant in retaining your services. Maybe you can do the job without having done the event but you need to build up a strong track record of various clients getting great results before you can make the claims you've made here.

"I rest my case"

In addition to this "Battle Plan", I can offer you bangles that will improve your balance!

I'll even give you a special hub discount ;)

In addition to this "Battle Plan", I can offer you bangles that will improve your balance!

I'll even give you a special hub discount ;)

You seem like an entrepreneur - watch out, it seems that the rule of thumb on this forum is that "if I did not introduce the idea it is not a good one"!

You seem like an entrepreneur - watch out, it seems that the rule of thumb on this forum is that "if I did not introduce the idea it is not a good one"!

Rule of thumb when smousing...."Listen well to deliver well" - Ali Mert

Maybe you didn't get to that chapter yet

"I rest my case"

Hang on a second here.

You came up with one helluva brain scheme to make some really good money because you see "the sport growing and there is a gap in the market"

You come on to The Hub and try and sell it.

You subsequently get challenged and then feel the need to become defensive.

All this big rick-ma-roll and you still have not clarified what it is you actually do, you failed to list your own palmarés which I think is rather important if you want to coach people as what you often read on paper doesn't always translate well in to real life.

I apologise for carrying on like a real box, but I for one will not ever drop a cent with you (luckily I also don't need to)

But to be very frank, it's this type of approach and business practice that gives all others a bad name.

Enticement, here's a question: Considering the Woolsworths boycott, how should one adjust one's post-stage recovery meals if one can't tuck into the food they offer?

Optimum recovery absorption of nutrients occurs withing 30-40 min after the activity has stopped as the body is still in the mode to convert glycogen for building adenosine triphosphate. However, due to stopping the activity, these building blocks are not immediately needed anymore, and they are being used to restore glycogen stores. Nutrients should however pass through 2 hurdles, the stomach and liver, and in order to ensure rapid absorption they need to be specially formulated. Should you be part of the Woolies boycott, opt for foodstuff that will ensure rapid absorption for recovery first, also ensuring the correct carb-protein mix. Dairy (for those that do not mind taking it) has been proven as a very good "whole-food" source. Remember, in the scenario you refer to, the goal is recovery, not supplementing. Your nutritionist (or if you don't have one, our's) can compile a "basket" that will make the Woolies foodstuff obsolete.

Hang on a second here.

You came up with one helluva brain scheme to make some really good money because you see "the sport growing and there is a gap in the market"

All this big rick-ma-roll and you still have not clarified what it is you actually do, you failed to list your own palmarés which I think is rather important if you want to coach people as what you often read on paper doesn't always translate well in to real life.

I apologise for carrying on like a real box, but I for one will not ever drop a cent with you (luckily I also don't need to)

But to be very frank, it's this type of approach and business practice that gives all others a bad name.

Did a bit of research...

Our management consultant/coach did a time of 2:53 for the Down and Dirty last weekend. 6th Master home. I don't want to steal his thunder, and hope that he completes his palmares to dazzle us...

Hang on a second here.

Please do not misinterpret - I rest my case in that specific argument that Epic coaches have to be professional XCSR contestants before they can coach, not in the offering of a professional, qualified and validated service ... Sorry :thumbup: