Cape Epic Battle Plan ...

Strafdop J....mackie's lightie's bday party starts early so making the trip to hilton and back from ballito will be tough unless me and mack want divorce papers come the morning.

Holla it is...if you still around you welcome to join us on the sunday...mack knows the place like the back of his hand and inhales spykerbombs like a student

Race is on Sunday, I'm only arriving late Saturday. Have a jol!

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your brain acts as the ultimate regulator from what happens inside your body. If you decide on Monday that you're going to do the 800m in a world record time and break 1:40 and have not conditioned yourself to do so, no matter what sports psychologist councils you, after about 20m your brain is going to start creating physiological barriers to make you stop. Your brain uses a mechanism called cognitive dissonance whereby it prevents you from taking yourself out. The purpose of conditioning/training is to create experiences that put the brain at ease and in so doing, convert the cognitive dissonance into cognitive association.

Preparing for the Epic? Simulate the exposure you will experience during the race, and your brain will anticipate that it already "has the T-shirt". That is why only time in saddle does not work for the Epic anymore - since the riders can accumulate UCI points, the technical standard and exertion requirement of the race route requires much more than that.

This is called "anticipatory response coaching" - you perform like you train.

I really don't think "anticipatory response coaching" is the most elegant way to say "your body will react better in a race if you have trained".

Strafdop J....mackie's lightie's bday party starts early so making the trip to hilton and back from ballito will be tough unless me and mack want divorce papers come the morning.

Holla it is...if you still around you welcome to join us on the sunday...mack knows the place like the back of his hand and inhales spykerbombs like a student

:offtopic: :-))

I really don't think "anticipatory response coaching" is the most elegant way to say "your body will react better in a race if you have trained".

:offtopic:

Great, you got to grips with anticipatory response coaching! But remember its more that just a response by your body, its your brain that anticipates and then get your body to respond. That is especially important when dealing with technical bike skills, like when you do a painful, sudden and unexpected dismount at a drop. Next time you go over there, your mind brings up the previous experience - how do you deal with that? That is why acquiring bike handling skills is part of conditioning as you now have to start dealing with the conflict between your conscious mind and your subconscious mind. No conditioning program is complete without that.

Great, you got to grips with anticipatory response coaching! But remember its more that just a response by your body, its your brain that anticipates and then get your body to respond. That is especially important when dealing with technical bike skills, like when you do a painful, sudden and unexpected dismount at a drop. Next time you go over there, your mind brings up the previous experience - how do you deal with that? That is why acquiring bike handling skills is part of conditioning as you now have to start dealing with the conflict between your conscious mind and your subconscious mind. No conditioning program is complete without that.

I agree, that's why it is also important to cross train for the epic, you need to condition your mind and body to portage, sometimes long distances. Running or walking hill repeats (preferably pushing your bike) is essential training

I am super fit right now at this very moment, I want to get the jam on :thumbup:

wait three weeks and the gap is going to be down by 60%