Post your Pyga

PYGA1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd appreciate if you guys could look through my parts to build up the OneTen29 before I place my orders in case I've missed something or spec'ed it incorrectly.

Drivetrain

Shimano XT M785 10 Speed 2x10 Double Chainset Black 38-24

Shimano XT M786 Direct Mount 2x10 Front Mech Black

Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette 11-36

Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Trigger Shifter Front & Rear I-spec

Shimano XT M786 SGS Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech Long cage

Shimano XT Pressfit BB92-41A

Shimano XT HG94 HGX 10 Speed Chain

Brakes

Shimano SLX M675 Disc Brake Front (RHS)

Shimano SLX M675 Disc Brake Rear (LHS)

Shimano SLX RT66 6 hole Disc Front Rotor 180mm

Shimano SLX RT66 6 hole Disc Rear Rotor 160mm

Shimano Adaptor SM-MA-F180P/P2 front 180mm postmount

Fork

Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" 20mm Maxle Taper 2012 Black

Wheelsets

Stans Arch EX or Flow / Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs 32 Hole OR alternatively

Stans Arch EX or Flow / DT Swiss 350 hubs 32 Hole

Tyres

Front Rocket Ron EVO Pacestar 2.25

Rear Racing Ralph EVO Pacestar 2.25

Finishing Kit

Cane Creek Headset - 40.ZS44 Short Cover Top

Cane Creek Headset – 40.IS52/40/H1 Bottom

Seatpost - Truvativ Stylo T30 Seatpost 25mm offset / 400mm – What diameter?

Stem – Truvativ Style T20 90mm 5deg

Bars - Truvativ Low Riserbar Stylo T30 700mm – black

Headset Spacers

Grips – TBD

Pedals – TBD

Saddle – TBD

Bottle cage- TBD

At the moment I'm not sure about the bar length. What bar widths are you guys mostly riding with? Is 700mm a little narrow for a 29er?

Same with the stem length, I'm 6'2" and will have a size L frame. Any longer than 90mm would seem too long for this type of bike? Also, with the wide bars it may be better to go for a shorter stem (maybe 70-80mm) to speed up the steering a little. What do you guys think?

It looks like a nice build

A few small details: Be sure that you get the appropriate hub conversion bits for your front & rear thru axels.

I have a fetish for Hope products

Get the snakeskin version of the Schwalbe tyres

(Those seem like quite racy tyres for a bike like this, especially if you are thinking of ZTR flow's)

Try the Lezyne Flow bottle cages - they are available in top load and side load (for on your seatpost ?)

What gear cables will you use?

Good luck with the build.

Brakes wise: Delilah on the forum went for the new SLX brakes, did not like, went back to the XT, very happy.

G

For the rear hub, make sure they build the hub with the right spacers. It needs to be 142mm

G

My reasoning for the SLX brakes was that there is very minimal weight saving with the XT for a 40% price increase. The SLX have the Icetech too I believe but I'll have another look at that.

I haven't come across thos ESI grip but will check them out.

Thanks ryan. On second thoughts, I think I'll go for a longer (740mm or so) bar so I have the option of cutting it back to the most suitable length.

I ran SLXs on the PYGA and have changed to XTs (only because I got them at a steal) and had SLXs on my Cotic (now on the Niner). No difference, except the minor weight change.

I'd appreciate if you guys could look through my parts to build up the OneTen29 before I place my orders in case I've missed something or spec'ed it incorrectly.

Drivetrain

Shimano XT M785 10 Speed 2x10 Double Chainset Black 38-24

Shimano XT M786 Direct Mount 2x10 Front Mech Black

Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette 11-36

Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Trigger Shifter Front & Rear I-spec

Shimano XT M786 SGS Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech Long cage

Shimano XT Pressfit BB92-41A

Shimano XT HG94 HGX 10 Speed Chain

Brakes

Shimano SLX M675 Disc Brake Front (RHS)

Shimano SLX M675 Disc Brake Rear (LHS)

Shimano SLX RT66 6 hole Disc Front Rotor 180mm

Shimano SLX RT66 6 hole Disc Rear Rotor 160mm

Shimano Adaptor SM-MA-F180P/P2 front 180mm postmount

Fork

Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 29" Dual Air 1.5" 20mm Maxle Taper 2012 Black

Wheelsets

Stans Arch EX or Flow / Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs 32 Hole OR alternatively

Stans Arch EX or Flow / DT Swiss 350 hubs 32 Hole

Tyres

Front Rocket Ron EVO Pacestar 2.25

Rear Racing Ralph EVO Pacestar 2.25

Finishing Kit

Cane Creek Headset - 40.ZS44 Short Cover Top

Cane Creek Headset – 40.IS52/40/H1 Bottom

Seatpost - Truvativ Stylo T30 Seatpost 25mm offset / 400mm – What diameter?

Stem – Truvativ Style T20 90mm 5deg

Bars - Truvativ Low Riserbar Stylo T30 700mm – black

Headset Spacers

Grips – TBD

Pedals – TBD

Saddle – TBD

Bottle cage- TBD

At the moment I'm not sure about the bar length. What bar widths are you guys mostly riding with? Is 700mm a little narrow for a 29er?

Same with the stem length, I'm 6'2" and will have a size L frame. Any longer than 90mm would seem too long for this type of bike? Also, with the wide bars it may be better to go for a shorter stem (maybe 70-80mm) to speed up the steering a little. What do you guys think?

Nice.

I'd put a dropper post in, and definitely 740/750mm bars with a 70mm stem. XT pedals are super reliable. I like the SLR XC saddles, but everyone's ass is different - ride what is comfy for you. Then get yourself a nice hydration pack and forget about the bottle cage :)

Oh, and Arch EXs on Hope hubs.

Edited by niterider

List price for the 650B is R16500

G

When you say list price I'm thinking there must be LBS that can throw a discount?

When you say list price I'm thinking there must be LBS that can throw a discount?

Doubt it.

My reasoning for the SLX brakes was that there is very minimal weight saving with the XT for a 40% price increase. The SLX have the Icetech too I believe but I'll have another look at that.

I haven't come across thos ESI grip but will check them out.

Thanks ryan. On second thoughts, I think I'll go for a longer (740mm or so) bar so I have the option of cutting it back to the most suitable length.

Pedal bob, have you looked at the SLX crank? If you want 38/24 then I'd go SLX. Apparently lighter than XT for some reason. I have one, and it's great. Black XT cranks don't wear so well either. If you're bent on XT then try get a silver.

I ran SLXs on the PYGA and have changed to XTs (only because I got them at a steal) and had SLXs on my Cotic (now on the Niner). No difference, except the minor weight change.

That's pretty much what I heard from others. I'd like to have the XTs but this build is already costing more than I really wanted to spend so I'd rather save the difference and put it into the wheelset or something.

Brakes wise: Delilah on the forum went for the new SLX brakes, did not like, went back to the XT, very happy.

G

Perhaps the brakes weren't bedded in properly or something. I rented a brand new bike on a holday that the shop had just finished building. The SLX brakes on that were shocking until I got them properly bedded in.

It looks like a nice build

A few small details: Be sure that you get the appropriate hub conversion bits for your front & rear thru axels.

I have a fetish for Hope products

Get the snakeskin version of the Schwalbe tyres

(Those seem like quite racy tyres for a bike like this, especially if you are thinking of ZTR flow's)

Try the Lezyne Flow bottle cages - they are available in top load and side load (for on your seatpost ?)

What gear cables will you use?

Good luck with the build.

Yep appropriate adaptors have been noted and will be passed onto the wheel builder.

The rims will be Arch EX not the flows. Mostly the riding here is done on hard pack so real nobby tyres not really necessary except maybe in the winter. I may also consider the Maxxi IKONs.

The cables come with the shifters so will be Shimano.

Thanks for the tip on the bottle cage.

Pedal bob, have you looked at the SLX crank? If you want 38/24 then I'd go SLX. Apparently lighter than XT for some reason. I have one, and it's great. Black XT cranks don't wear so well either. If you're bent on XT then try get a silver.

No, I didn't know that the SLX is lighter. I'll check that out.

Is it the black finish on the crank arms that doesn't wear well with the XT? Does it rub off or just scuff? Thanks for the heads up any way.