Post your Pyga

PYGA1

That’s exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for, appreciate the reply

As for build quality on the primer & stage max and easy of home maintenance?

I swapped out my stage (100mm fox) for my mates primer which had way more travel

I was riding trails where I am admittedly rubbish.  My XC setup was easily as capable as his "better" set up bike.  Now that's easy for me to say because the Pyga was my bike.  But my more skilled mate was impressed at how good my stage was.

If I didn't have boost wheels custom made and a boost fork, I would buy another one as I'm struggling to find a 2021 bike I really lust after

Edited by Waynemol

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I swapped out my stage (100mm fox) for my mates primer which had way more travel

I was riding trails where I am admittedly rubbish. My XC setup was easily as capable as his "better" set up bike. Now that's easy for me to say because the Pyga was my bike. But my more skilled mate was impressed at how good my stage was.

If I didn't have boost wheels custom made and a boost fork, I would buy another one as I'm struggling to find a 2021 bike I really lust after

Thats interesting mate, I would of thought the primer would of inspired slightly more confidence. I do like the rough tech stuff as well as being able to do outrides with mates on marathon type machines .

Your bike wasn’t even the stage max,have you ridden one for comparison. I also have boost wheels and fork . But am prepared to forgo that in search of the one bike that suits my needs. My marathon bike has standard non boost so at least I have a set .

The stage/max & primer seem the best options and value for money at this point as i have to make 2 become one ....that ???? ride .

As for lusting after a ride ,wish I had kept that in mind when buying my road bike ☹️

Edited by Pikey

Thats interesting mate, I would of thought the primer would of inspired slightly more confidence. I do like the rough tech stuff as well as being able to do outrides with mates on marathon type machines .

Your bike wasn’t even the stage max,have you ridden one for comparison. I also have boost wheels and fork . But am prepared to forgo that in search of the one bike that suits my needs. My marathon bike has standard non boost so at least I have a set .

The stage/max & primer seem the best options and value for money at this point as i have to make 2 become one ....that ride .

I have not ridden a stage max with the extra travel - but that was my point, the stage was so good that I couldn't say which was better when it should have neen the primer - even my mate thought his primer was marginally better.  He is the better judge as I am cr@p.  So this leads me to believe that a Stage max setup drills the Primer.  Very non scientific conclusion

I have not ridden a stage max with the extra travel - but that was my point, the stage was so good that I couldn't say which was better when it should have neen the primer - even my mate thought his primer was marginally better.  He is the better judge as I am cr@p.  So this leads me to believe that a Stage max setup drills the Primer.  Very non scientific conclusion

Its the real world feel & experience from us amateurs that counts 100 fold more than the science and bs !

Aren't the stage and stage max exactly the same bikes with a different stroke length on a slightly longer shock?

So technically you could have a big fork and shock and wheelset/tires and just swap them out in 10 minutes depending on what you're riding?

Maybe stem too, but that would be splitting hairs.

Really didn’t know the 110’s were great sellers . I thought Aluminium bike’s wouldn’t be so sought after ,how wrong was i. Or maybe it’s just the 110’s .

Well, over the last few years, many of the top DH and Enduro guys have gone back to aluminium frames and rims.

The 110 is a fantastically strong, robust frame, that is pretty hard to bottom out. If you put on 140mm Pike and proper tires it is amazing.The head angle slackens by a degree. I did an enduro event in the alps last year and hired the latest and greatest Transition, Devinci's, Santa Cruz's etc. Some of them are better, especially in full enduro mode, but I was really surprised when I got home and back onto the 110.

I bought mine for 27k, with XO cranks and an XT drive train. Since then, I spent another 8k on the Pike. It is pretty hard to find a better bike for double that price.

Edited by Baracuda

As a example, Pyga use to make the Slakline and Hyrax out of carbon, the manufacture of that has now been brought back to SA and now being done in All...

Speaking to Pat, he mentioned that all his test riders are loving the feel of the All bike more than the carbon version.

G

Well, over the last few years, many of the top DH and Enduro guys have gone back to aluminium frames and rims.

The 110 is a fantastically strong, robust frame, that is pretty hard to bottom out. If you put on 140mm Pike and proper tires it is amazing.The head angle slackens by a degree. I did an enduro event in the alps last year and hired the latest and greatest Transition, Devinci's, Santa Cruz's etc. Some of them are better, especially in full enduro mode, but I was really surprised when I got home and back onto the 110.

I bought mine for 27k, with XO cranks and an XT drive train. Since then, I spent another 8k on the Pike. It is pretty hard to find a better bike for double that price.

Jewbacca

yes, he frames are exactly the same, the difference is difference shocks and how the shock is mounted at the bottom end.

G

Aren't the stage and stage max exactly the same bikes with a different stroke length on a slightly longer shock?

So technically you could have a big fork and shock and wheelset/tires and just swap them out in 10 minutes depending on what you're riding?

same bike, different fork and different rear travel

Mine was minimum of the above so in Stage Max guise I'm guessing it would be superior on technical trails

While I certainly miss my 110, the only downside I found when building it up as a more trail orientated bike (i.e. with a 140mm Pike) was that the rear triangle is designed for skinny XC tires. A 2.3 Maxxis Aggressor on the back could only just squeeze in the frame and then any little trail stones collected by the tread would brutalise the frame over time.

The rear triangle could only really accept a 2.2 width tyre (by Maxxis standards at least). So when speccing a burly 2.5WT up front in the Pike, the rear end looked a bit skraal by comparison and couldn't accept an equivalent burly tyre to compliment the front. The skinnier XC orientated tyres also generally don't come in stronger casings so for me it was a limitation (I tried a Maxxis Icon but cut the sidewall on its first ride). But then I did acknowledge I was building the frame up a bit beyond its intended use so worked within the limitations. It still remains the one full suss bike I have felt the most "at home" on (granted I have not ridden an extensive list of full suss bikes).

As a example, Pyga use to make the Slakline and Hyrax out of carbon, the manufacture of that has now been brought back to SA and now being done in All...

Speaking to Pat, he mentioned that all his test riders are loving the feel of the All bike more than the carbon version.

G

can you even get a hyrax?  I've never seen one, looks really nice

While I certainly miss my 110, the only downside I found when building it up as a more trail orientated bike (i.e. with a 140mm Pike) was that the rear triangle is designed for skinny XC tires. A 2.3 Maxxis Aggressor on the back could only just squeeze in the frame and then any little trail stones collected by the tread would brutalise the frame over time.

The rear triangle could only really accept a 2.2 width tyre (by Maxxis standards at least). So when speccing a burly 2.5WT up front in the Pike, the rear end looked a bit skraal by comparison and couldn't accept an equivalent burly tyre to compliment the front. The skinnier XC orientated tyres also generally don't come in stronger casings so for me it was a limitation (I tried a Maxxis Icon but cut the sidewall on its first ride). But then I did acknowledge I was building the frame up a bit beyond its intended use so worked within the limitations. It still remains the one full suss bike I have felt the most "at home" on (granted I have not ridden an extensive list of full suss bikes).

Good point,never really thought about that,haven’t run 2.2 in forever. 2.35 is my go to tyre size on the rear generally . What tyre clearance does the stage have ?

remember the stage is primarily a stage racing bike, I currently run a 2.25 front and rear.

but it's the same frame for the stage max, think it can def take a 2.3 in the rear, easy to confirm quickly... if someone already does not know

G

Good point,never really thought about that,haven’t run 2.2 in forever. 2.35 is my go to tyre size on the rear generally . What tyre clearance does the stage have ?