Post your Pyga

PYGA1

Beanz that looks awesome.....definitely top of the list for me should I ever be forcibly (as it won't happen willingly!) separated from my 110 29....enjoy the bike and be sure to issue a ride report when you are ready!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question. I'm looking for a bike carrier and was wondering what people are using with their Pygas. I can't make up my mind whether to go for a platform type or the hanging type. It's to go on a tow hook.

I like the idea of the platform as all the clamping is to the wheels and not the frame but they look bulky and heavy to fit and remove regulary. It'll be going on a 2012 Golf (Mk6) GTI.

always go with the platform racks.

Secure and far more user friendly

Beanz that looks awesome.....definitely top of the list for me should I ever be forcibly (as it won't happen willingly!) separated from my 110 29....enjoy the bike and be sure to issue a ride report when you are ready!

Thanks, will do!

If it's only for one bike for quick jaunts to wherever you are riding the Thule express works well.....I often use it if I want to load up for a quick after work ride or if we're only taking one bike away for the weekend. It is easy to use, quick to fit, light, takes up no space and is pretty cheap. For anything more than one bike or just around town the platform is the only way to go. Ideally you need both....if you can only buy one the platform rocks.

Nice thing about the platforms are that they are also lockable to the towbar and the bike....Just keep a spare key in the cars glove compartment

Where did you buy your fork from and if i may ask, what did you pay for the sweep?

I got it directly from the importer - Gravity Imports. You can also speak to the guys from The Bike Shed in Contermanskloof, I think they are business partners.

http://www.thehubsa....forks-seatpost/

I ordered it back in November, they were doing a good deal on pre-orders and the exchange rate was better. I don't know what it would go for now.

Here is my Pyga 140 650b build with which I am well pleased.

Rockshox monarch RT3 200x57 shock (comes with frame)

Xfusion sweep RL2 fork, currently set to 140mm

XT crankset, rear derailleur and cassette, Saint shifter

Raceface NW 34t chainring

XT brakes with icetec rotors (180 front, 160 rear)

KS LEV seatpost

Nukeproof warhead stem and bars

ODI rogue grips

Hope hubs, WTB frequency i23 rims

Hans dampf 2.25 trailstar front, 2.25 pacestar rear

Spent much of the weekend putting it together, did pretty much everything, with the exception of stuff that requires special tools, like pressing bottom bracket and headset, installing crown race and star nut, and cutting steerer. This is my first build - It's been a nice learning curve and a rewarding experience.

Managed to swap and shorten the brake cables without needing a rebleed, though the rear brake could do with one. Being the klutz that I am, I dropped the spare insert and it bounced off somewhere. I gave up looking for it after an hour. Fortunately I was able to drill off the olive and prise out the old one.

Yet to take it for a ride (apart from down the driveway). When I'm finished admiring it I might just do that, but right now I'm reluctant to get it dirty.

Still to do:- would like to get rid of the gaudy Nukeproof graphics on the bar. Might cover them with vinyl covering.

FLIP That is nice.

I'm really really interested in what you think of the Sweep. I'm wanting to get one to replace my Revelation.

NICE NICE NICE

So where's you normal stomping grounds,

Thank that monster will love Thaba Blue sections.

G

Here is my Pyga 140 650b build with which I am well pleased.

Rockshox monarch RT3 200x57 shock (comes with frame)

Xfusion sweep RL2 fork, currently set to 140mm

XT crankset, rear derailleur and cassette, Saint shifter

Raceface NW 34t chainring

XT brakes with icetec rotors (180 front, 160 rear)

KS LEV seatpost

Nukeproof warhead stem and bars

ODI rogue grips

Hope hubs, WTB frequency i23 rims

Hans dampf 2.25 trailstar front, 2.25 pacestar rear

Spent much of the weekend putting it together, did pretty much everything, with the exception of stuff that requires special tools, like pressing bottom bracket and headset, installing crown race and star nut, and cutting steerer. This is my first build - It's been a nice learning curve and a rewarding experience.

Managed to swap and shorten the brake cables without needing a rebleed, though the rear brake could do with one. Being the klutz that I am, I dropped the spare insert and it bounced off somewhere. I gave up looking for it after an hour. Fortunately I was able to drill off the olive and prise out the old one.

Yet to take it for a ride (apart from down the driveway). When I'm finished admiring it I might just do that, but right now I'm reluctant to get it dirty.

Still to do:- would like to get rid of the gaudy Nukeproof graphics on the bar. Might cover them with vinyl covering.

Thanks guys.

NICE NICE NICE

So where's you normal stomping grounds,

Thank that monster will love Thaba Blue sections.

G

I guess my home track is the spruit (he say's coming out of his burrow).

But it's only a 20 min drive to thaba so I go there from time to time and I really like it there. I think I'm going to have a bit more fun on Thaba blue. Last time I went it seemed more rocky and eroded than before.

FLIP That is nice.

I'm really really interested in what you think of the Sweep. I'm wanting to get one to replace my Revelation.

I'm also keen to find out. It was a significant cost saving over the other contender, the Pike, which seems to be all the rage, and by most accounts it's at least nearly as good. The biggest complaint seems to be the lack of compression adjustment on the fork. That doesn't bother me too much. It's apparently pretty dialled out the box. It does apparently take a few hours of riding to break in properly.

I'm going to Durban over easter, so I'm thinking my first proper ride might be at Giba gorge - that's your neck of the woods not so?

Thanks guys.

I guess my home track is the spruit (he say's coming out of his burrow).

But it's only a 20 min drive to thaba so I go there from time to time and I really like it there. I think I'm going to have a bit more fun on Thaba blue. Last time I went it seemed more rocky and eroded than before.

I'm also keen to find out. It was a significant cost saving over the other contender, the Pike, which seems to be all the rage, and by most accounts it's at least nearly as good. The biggest complaint seems to be the lack of compression adjustment on the fork. That doesn't bother me too much. It's apparently pretty dialled out the box. It does apparently take a few hours of riding to break in properly.

I'm going to Durban over easter, so I'm thinking my first proper ride might be at Giba gorge - that's your neck of the woods not so?

Hey, give me a call when you're down. In fact sms me because I often don't answer the phone. Lets go ride.

That looks awsome beans, I'm getting mine tomorrow, I think I might be in the same situation with getting it dirty haha!☺️ I'll post my pictures tomorrow.

My new oneten29', arrived yesterday, been for a ride this morning, I will post more pictures later.

Great - look forward to it!

As for me I finally got over looking at the thing and decided to take the 140 pascoe for a ride to work this morning. I thought it would be nice to start off on a trail I know well.

The first place I went to is the rose gardens - there are these terraces where you can pick your drop to flat - anything from 6 inches to 6 feet. I went for a 3 foot one, hardly felt the landing, and used up most of the travel without bottoming out completely. Nice - the suspension works as intended.

From there sent it down the spruit to sandton drive, including the sweet section after Jan Smuts from the concrete bridge. Enough to get a taste of what it can do without pushing it anywhere near it's limits.

Initial impressions - bike is stout, sturdy, solid and stiff, very confidence inspiring. Handling is fantastic and seems intuitive - right from the word go - didn't take much getting used to. One section where I normally have to dab the brakes before a tight turn I could just rail through first time. I'm not big air guy, but the jumps I did do it seemed to handle with ease. I think it's going to improve my jumping confidence.

Obviously haven't had a chance to dial in anything - suspension, tyre pressure etc, took a while to realise I was on fasted rebound setting. Fork is nice and stiff, but does need seem to need some time to break in. It takes a bit to get it to move, but that should change in a few rides. I've got the pressure set to the minimum 50psi, but should be able to raise that when it settles in.

Pedaling is very efficient and very neutral. I just left it open and there's hardly any movement. When you stand there's a bit more, but flick the pro-pedal switch (or whatever it's called) and the movement goes away completely. I stomped up sandton drive and the o-ring had hardly moved. But I generally wouldn't bother.

XT 1x10 NW drivetrain perfect - shifting super smooth - with clutch derailleur super quiet and my days of chainslap and dropped chains are hopefully behind me.

Special mention must go to the LEV dropper post which is buttery smooth out the box and just a marvelous piece of engineering. And the cable routing is perfect, better than internal stealth routing as mentioned by Doezel earlier in this thread.

So so far I'm pretty chuffed.

Edited by beanz

My new oneten29', arrived yesterday, been for a ride this morning, I will post more pictures later. post-56642-0-70565600-1397632838_thumb.jpg

Looking good! :thumbup:

Would you mind giving us a rundown of your build spec?