Another reason to hate Vodascum

Eldron

It's just like banking, they're all thick as thieves and it's no real point in switching as they don't care about the loss of one account (even if it does matter to you!).

What hacks me off about data charges with vodacom is using bundles. They give you 'night owl', which I NEVER use. But when the normal time bundle runs out, it goes straight to out of bundle pricing without warning. This is because the bundle isn't fully depleted. I moaned, no sure if it got me anywhere.

i really have had no issues with them.....

my only real gripe is the R57 for Sim swap when you can buy a new sim for R5

Shock horror, we all hate out network operators!

http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/SA-unhappy-with-cellphone-operators-20120801

Cape Town - The majority of mobile phone subscribers in South African are unhappy with the operators, industry research has shown.

A massive 70% of subscribers are unhappy with their current network and a significant percentage would consider switching, according to research from independent ad network InMobi.

Counter-intuitively, price is not the most compelling complaint as only 17% directly indicated that they were unhappy because of it.

Most (25%) are frustrated with limited data coverage, and hidden charges (8%) and customer service (7%) made up the top four grievances.

The research suggested that 36% would switch to a competing network if it offered better data coverage and offers to be on the same network as friends or family attracted 31% of interest.

Data revenues

As competition in the South African market heats up, the operators have been driving data revenues up through various offers.

"The demand remains strong; there's strong competition in the SA market. Data revenue is up 24% year-on-year. The active data customers [are] up 35%: Now just over 12 million [and] all of the 12 million are buying data bundles on a monthly basis," Vodacom CEO Pieter Uys told News24 when the operator released its annual results.

The survey showed that 46% of mobile phone users would switch networks if the right offer came along and 11% are actively looking to switch.

In the eyes of consumers, Vodacom has the strongest brand association, scoring 57% for customer service, 60% for network coverage, and 42% for value.

MTN consistently scored in second place, average just over 30%. Cell C was third, but Telkom's 8ta didn't make it on to the results.

Cell C is on a charge to increase its market share in SA and recently launched its 99 Cents for Real campaign.

New CEO Alan Knott-Craig said that the operator was on a charge to build a better network.

Smartphones

"The number one priority is I have to make sure that we can build a world class quality network with a footprint which is competitive or better than the other network operators. We cannot build a company without a proper network," he told News24.

According to the InMobi survey, 51% of consumers want free bonus talk time and 38% want bonus data from their network.

The growth is data is particularly driven by smartphones which have growing in SA as pricing continues to decline and a growing percentage have a data bundle attached, Vodacom said.

"Smartphones remain the key driver of the data revenue growth - the active smartphones growing by two million in the year. Smartphones are now making up a fifth of our active handsets," said Uys.

May the fleas of 1,000 camels infect their greedy little arm pits.

Would you mind a slight hijack, if I use your words to wish on the Cape Town Vehicle Licencing Department? They've wasted my whole day with not knowing their arses from their heads. I could have used the morning for some time in the saddle. :cursing:

You got off cheaply.

My colleague got a R100 000 roaming data bill and never even turned his iPad on.

The real solution is prepaid. Load up 1 or 2 gig data on the first and it will last two months unless you are downloading videos.

It is not such a pain as you would suspect.

It's just like banking, they're all thick as thieves and it's no real point in switching as they don't care about the loss of one account (even if it does matter to you!).

AND Insurance.bunch of crooks!!

All the cellphone companies have to do (and I am sure they are doing) is charge a few extra cents here and there per subscriber and they make millions :cursing:

i really have had no issues with them.....

my only real gripe is the R57 for Sim swap when you can buy a new sim for R5

R52 is the labour charge

R52 is the labour charge

Exactly my gripe!

incidentals like that should be covered under my general contract

took my phone in to get repaired and because i have a micro-sim had to do a sim swap to use my phone while it was being repaired, and then vica versa when i got it back. Buggers wanted to charge me R57 x 2. Told them i wasnt moving till they did it a their cost

Fortunately I'm coming to the end of my 3g data contract with Vodascum.....R300 pm for 1.5GB !!

Found out last week that they're still billing me for BIS, which I haven't used for 2 months... phoned the helpline (misnomer of note) and was told that I should have instructed the salesman who upgraded me to cancel my BIS subscription. Figured it should have been obvious that without a BB I would have no use for it. Muppets.

Had similar issues with Cell C though, so migrating is more of a mission than it's worth.

Edit: Insult to injury, their hold music is LMFAO's party rock anthem, on repeat... vark steaks...

Edited by droo

Would you mind a slight hijack, if I use your words to wish on the Cape Town Vehicle Licencing Department? They've wasted my whole day with not knowing their arses from their heads. I could have used the morning for some time in the saddle. :cursing:

I had to take the whole day off yesterday for these twits. After going to Namibia i was not allowed to relicence my car and had to take it through police clearance. which meant in the morning had to get a temp lic (R48) from the traffic department in town. Then drive to Stikland (for out of Cape Towneer the name describes it perfectly.) 3hrs of waiting, couldnt find engine number (because Jeep dont issue them), had to get one "created" (R120) another 2 hrs and finally when all was done the computer sytem crashed. Finally about 45 mins later got my clearance and then still had to trek back to the CBD and stand in a 20 person line to get the license renewal (R1600). I started at 08h30 and got home at 4pm. *hijack off*