Sram Red Versus Dura Ace

CMDC

I was not blaming anybody, or anything, merely pointing out the obvious. ;)

Oh, and just because Durex has worked for me, does not mean it has always worked for everyone. :whistling:

HAHAHA! I know of a few people where it clearly dropped a chain ;)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is campag any good? Seriously, cause I haven't had much "interaction" with it.

Been riding with Campag for 8 years. I changed the chain every 5 000 km and are still on the original cassette. I've just upgraded to Chorus/Record. You cannot go wrong!!

Is campag any good? Seriously, cause I haven't had much "interaction" with it.

Bianchisti

Ultimately, the question of Shimano, Sram or Campagnolo is like asking Vodka, Rum or Whisky. They all do the job perfectly well and what you choose is the result of your response to the marketing activities of the brand owners.

I have used Campag for all my road bikes since I first made the switch about 15 years ago. I'm happy.

I also came across this article some months ago which answers your question of "is it any good".

I liked the article, perhaps because it spoke to my predeliction. Check it out and even if you still choose Shimano or Sram, at least you will know a bit more about a great product.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/italian-job

Different strokes I guess.

I've ridden all 3, in order of preference, Campag, SRAM, Shimano.

Campag rocks, as most have pointed out, it goes on for ever and can easily be serviced, initial outlay may be higher but there's a good reason

SRAM shifts nice but needs a lot of TLC especially if its ridden hard (speak to a bike mech from a pro team and he'll tell you all about this)

Shimano, cant fault it, works well and is reliable, just prefer the other two groupsets in terms of feel

Everyone will give you their opinion on which is best, take the advise posted, test ride all three and make your own mind up.

Oh no this topic again. Test ride all three. Each has a different way of shifting, and different shaped hoods and levers, see which one works best for you. At the top end all three groups are equal on performance, the differential is price, aesthetic and form. My advise is to go with Shimano, due to price, ease of maintanence and functionality, I started off with a full DA setup and am basically bastardising it with Ultegra for the disposable bits (chains, rings, sprokets etc...)

This doesn't include being able to open the STI's and replace the internals. Even here in SA, it is possible to order a single spring or nut for a Campy component - just get the schematics and look up the part number (My only positive J&J cycling experience) . I've replaced the spring that makes the clicky sound in my Ergo levers, the brake return spring on the brake caliper, the gear change lever for the front derailleur and various other bits and pieces. (Have a look here on a fun way to spend an evening)

The only downside to Campag is the cost, but since the damn groupset seems to last forever, it's cheaper in the long run.

Good one.

Then again, that was the OLD Red, Eddy.

:blush:

this is the only OLD Red i recognise, Puncheur.......

post-50-0-63375100-1347295426.jpg

Edited by eddy

Bianchisti

Ultimately, the question of Shimano, Sram or Campagnolo is like asking Vodka, Rum or Whisky. They all do the job perfectly well and what you choose is the result of your response to the marketing activities of the brand owners.

I have used Campag for all my road bikes since I first made the switch about 15 years ago. I'm happy.

I also came across this article some months ago which answers your question of "is it any good".

I liked the article, perhaps because it spoke to my predeliction. Check it out and even if you still choose Shimano or Sram, at least you will know a bit more about a great product.

http://www.bicycling...ies/italian-job

That was interesting reading thanks for the link

Any guys riding the electronic group sets as I would be interested to hear their thoughts on those

Yip, I have Sram X0 on mtb and Red on road, no complains for 4 years. I can also say that Dura Ace and Ultegra works as well.

I can only relate to my last 20-thousand km with Dura-Ace 7800. Yeah, I know it is the older of the lot, but faultless it has been. The ease of use and the intiutive shift feel is something I value. I use Ultegra chains and casettes and have just replaced a casette and chain. Roughly 6000 km on the chain and double that on the casette. Good value for money in my books.

After having a look at the new DA 9000. Shimano has once again stepped up. It is beautiful and I would love to give it a test ride some time soon.

I like Campagnolo as I still remember seeing C Record for the first time in 1990 on a Columbus SLX Pinarello in black chrome. It was and still is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. The quality of Campag is without question. The only thing I do not like is the thumb shiftlever (and the price).

The shift operation of SRAM is not to my liking. A tired hand (i am not a climber, i get very tired sometimes) will battle with the upshifts I think. But I have had a very limited time on a Sram equiped bike. Some of my lady friends do not like SRAM, especially the front shifting. Oh and two of my friends have broken the shift lever right off while riding!!!!! Now that is not amusing.

So to answer the question. I will blow my money on DA.

I've been riding DA now for the last year, and havent had a single mechanical problem! I will never ride anything else again!

Don't sweat.It's just a term of affection........like Slumstead,The Victorian Slimes in Fish Hoek etc etc :-)

Like Slaapstad, Somerset Rest and the Land of the Broken wrist?