Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

My son asked me for a camp knife /chopper. I made one from bohler k110. 8mm spine. Quite a long day grinding...

After hardening I sharpened the edge to 25deg (v shape edge). It did not last long before micro chipping could be seen with a magnifying glass. I must say he really tried his best to test it. Stabbing, chopping wood, log splitting...

I changed the edge to a convex grind. The initial sharp 'feel' of the edge was less, but it lasted much longer. With very little edge damage.

sounds like you need to please post some pitcha's of the knives you have made

Was going to post your comment Hairy.

Peekchas!!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I own a Zero Tolerance 920 and some Opinel knives in different sizes, plus a Buck packlite skinner for me and one for my wife as fishing and hiking knives. The Opinels are pretty much the workhorses here. Bought the two i use the most on a school camp in Paris, in 1997, the good old days  :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning all, any idea what the rules are for carrying a knife on a mine (as management staff)?

A friend of mine currently carries a folder and states that it is to be used as an eating utensil when necessary. I'm looking at gifting him a piece from Iron Side Edgeworks but do not want to get him something he can't carry.

His wife does not know what the limitations are and I cannot ask him.

Good morning all, any idea what the rules are for carrying a knife on a mine (as management staff)?

A friend of mine currently carries a folder and states that it is to be used as an eating utensil when necessary. I'm looking at gifting him a piece from Iron Side Edgeworks but do not want to get him something he can't carry.

contact the mine directly?

I will happily accept the gift for him if that helps at all..........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...