When do you suck your gel?

RoboLuke

+1. And something proper to eat - possibly with a bit of fat and/or protein. Also found that most gels didn't work very well with my stomach.

Jokes aside (referring to my previous post), I found natural foods such as mixing dates and bilton in a little bag that I keep in my jersey pocket to really be the bees knees on long rides.

Good clean fuel.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1. And something proper to eat - possibly with a bit of fat and/or protein. Also found that most gels didn't work very well with my stomach.

Start the day with a good serving of Future Life. 4 table spoons of powder, 1 table spoon of organic peanut butter. Half milk, half water and mix into a smoothie.

2 bananas to fill the gap during the ride.

1 bottle of 32GI Endurance.

2 liters of water in the Camelback.

Sorted

You are not supposed to rub it on your stomach... you have to consume it orally

for a 60km ride/ race gels will do nothing for u fit or unfit slow or fast

if u need to eat take a banana, sweats... but water is all u need maybe some energy mix

Your point is valid on road. Off road, your small bottle will go very fast.

Off road I'm not doing 60km in more than two and a half or three hours anyway. When I get to that level, I hang up my wheels.

Start the day with a good serving of Future Life. 4 table spoons of powder, 1 table spoon of organic peanut butter. Half milk, half water and mix into a smoothie.

Sorted

Does it have to be futurelife? Will pronutro do?

Does it have to be 23IG? Will AJ's, or similar, mix work?

Do I really need a camelbag for 60km?

Personal preference.

Tried and trusted for me and other riders I know really well.

Used gels in the past and my body crashed badly badly.

Personal preference.

Tried and trusted for me and other riders I know really well.

Used gels in the past and my body crashed badly badly.

Somebody needs to get prof Noakes to join this forum.

do a search for Pemmican...

You are not supposed to rub it on your stomach... you have to consume it orally

I'm a firm believer in reverse osmosis. I guess my stomach isn't a permeable membrane, although there's sure low pressure and high pressure when I have those gels. Another good one to eat is the Woolies Breakfast Mix.

Jokes aside (referring to my previous post), I found natural foods such as mixing dates and bilton in a little bag that I keep in my jersey pocket to really be the bees knees on long rides.

Good clean fuel.

When you have no breath and you are coughing blood biltong raisins and dates are difficult to swallow. Gel is like a tasty piece of snot....... Easy to swallow.

Sorted

what's the deal with "organic" peanut butter. Is that different to the Black Cat that I buy?

hmmm - morbid fascination got me to open this thread?

I normally have 1 gel with caffeine for the last 10km in a 60km race. I'll take in something solid (normally banana) at the 90min mark when the glycogen stores start running a bit low and also have a hypotonic solution in my water bottle (race with 1 bottle and refill en route).

I tried using gels mid way through Attakwas once and started cramping very badly so haven't tried it since.