Sit Bones

Speeding

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also just moved to a Phenom 143mm (after riding a Specialized Avatar for many years). Man alive my @ss has NEVER been that sore. This weekend after about 25kms I could barely sit on the thing! I've been off the bike for a while so I'm guessing it is a case of HTFU, but I don't feel like going through months of agony only to find out that this isn't the saddle for me.

Also got B&B coming up in two weeks time, so I'm going to try dropping my saddle a fraction for this weekends ride (thanks to the previous poster for that tip!) and if that doesn't work I'm putting my old saddle back on for B&B!

Seems there are a couple of us with saddles issues that are doing B&B. I'm also not sure what to do.

Bought one on Friday, put it on my bike on Sat - in doing so found that the bike fitter had not set my saddle correctly while fitting (as far as I can tell) so fitted new Henge and moved saddle to where fit report said it should be, and went for 57km ride.

Ho my greatness. Ass is on fire and legs feel like they have been screwed on backwards this morning.

Put orig saddle (Gobi Phyzik) back on in orig position. Got B&B in two weeks and figure I'll keep the wrong setting that I'm used to until after then...

Funny one this.

I've just come off a Gobi XM - numbness after 50km plus rides was unplayable!!! Put the Henge 143mm on. First week of riding, my upper legs and ass also gave me hell. Thought about it a bit. Due to my sitbones now being on top of vs next to the saddle, this places more effort/ strain back to my glute and upper leg muscles - where it should be. After the first week of bearing the initial upper leg/ glute strain, it's like I'm on cloud nine - no numbness during long rides anymore at all and the legs, glutes have adapted. I agree though, don't mess with settings before a big stage race unless the pain is unbearable. still reckon you must give the Henge a try..

i went through terrible pain with my right site bone. Had my bike ergofit setup. All that really changed was my reach was extended and my saddle raised by about 1/2cm.

About 5 or 6 rides after that adjustment my right sit bone were in absolute agony. I threw ice and inti-inflammatories at it and rested fro 4 days. Took my bike out for a ride and could feel my right bone grinding my saddle. Dropped my seatpost 1/2cm (back to what i had it) and that ride was fine. This weekend I did a nice long 100km ride and felt no more pains. My guess is that my setup was little more racing snake than i am (i.e. forward and bum raised).

The net result is those 6 odd rides have caused a knot at the joint (where the muscle joins the bone) and i am keeping anti-inflammatory and going for a sports massage to try rub it out

That sounds eina...

These posts reminds me why many PROs stick to their old battered saddles even if they change their bikes annually.

Funny one this.

I've just come off a Gobi XM - numbness after 50km plus rides was unplayable!!! Put the Henge 143mm on. First week of riding, my upper legs and ass also gave me hell. Thought about it a bit. Due to my sitbones now being on top of vs next to the saddle, this places more effort/ strain back to my glute and upper leg muscles - where it should be. After the first week of bearing the initial upper leg/ glute strain, it's like I'm on cloud nine - no numbness during long rides anymore at all and the legs, glutes have adapted. I agree though, don't mess with settings before a big stage race unless the pain is unbearable. still reckon you must give the Henge a try..

For sure. Will do so after B&B. With commuting, I'm spending too much time sitting on a Gobi to have no blood to the erm, extremities, whatever their site may say.

I'm also a light and nimble 98Kg's and did the epic on a Fizik Aliante XM saddle. No Saddle sore problems. I have the Phenom here and can hardly ride 1 hour on it :) Different strokes

Seems there are a couple of us with saddles issues that are doing B&B. I'm also not sure what to do.

how to spot a hubber at berg n bush..........lying flat, face down...with an an ice pack on his/her backside

Ok so sit bones need o "be worked in" no denying that, and HTFU is on the cards unfortunately. BUT! A good set up is also very important. There is nopoint of u going and shitting bricks for 5-9hrs on a saddle when a small adjustment could make the world of change.

Also, a Specialized Henge 143 would be what I would recommend, I know as i use to work for specialized...Im riding a Phenom 155, but i recently moved onto a Henge 143 and OMW! amazing difference! Just a thought*

Have you had a bike fit? Any bike fit? If your bike is set up completely wrong (if you've been riding it a while you won't know because you're used to it and it will feel 'fine') then any saddle you fit will probably be bad.

I was about to chuck my new bike until I got a fit and even with the fit not being done 100% right still transformed the comfort and handling of the bike.

They did move my saddle forward and set the post lower!!

For sure. Will do so after B&B. With commuting, I'm spending too much time sitting on a Gobi to have no blood to the erm, extremities, whatever their site may say.

I tried the Gobi and as for me that saddle spells out one thing, numb nuts

I use a Fizik Arione on all my bikes. The first week or so is absolute torture! After that I am usually fine. Can go anywhere on that saddle.

Ok so sit bones need o "be worked in" no denying that, and HTFU is on the cards unfortunately. BUT! A good set up is also very important. There is nopoint of u going and shitting bricks for 5-9hrs on a saddle when a small adjustment could make the world of change.

Also, a Specialized Henge 143 would be what I would recommend, I know as i use to work for specialized...Im riding a Phenom 155, but i recently moved onto a Henge 143 and OMW! amazing difference! Just a thought*

In what way is the henge different to phenom?