Could this be the end of Chappies for us?

Wannabe

From the latest PPA newsletter.

WILL CYCLISTS BE BANNED ON CHAPMANS PEAK?

Several complaints have been received by the operators regarding the behaviour of cyclists on Chapman’s Peak, riding abreast and/or taking up the whole road. This has prompted discussions of banning cycling on Chappies. This cannot happen! Please ride responsibly: Keep left, and make sure the cyclists who ride around you do the same. Let's keep Chappies open for cyclists.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, just saw this now. This will heavily affect my training routes! I'm on there at least twice a week! Like most things it will always be the usual transgressors who show very little sign of worry or remorse. Would be useful of having a way to call them out to name and shame them!

Yep, just saw this now. This will heavily affect my training routes! I'm on there at least twice a week! Like most things it will always be the usual transgressors who show very little sign of worry or remorse. Would be useful of having a way to call them out to name and shame them!

Then "they" should also ban the normal transgressors who use the roads like Taxis, mopeds, slow drivers, fast drivers, KTM riders and Stupid people

How can they ban anyone from using a public road?

They can impose a restriction of certain vehicles. Similar to what they can restrict access to certain vehicles above whatever weight.

All they need to do is whack up a pole with the "no bicycle" sign.

But yes, hoping it does not happen.

I read the same notice and wondered if I was back in school with the "Do it our way or we punish all of you" mentality. Rather charge R15 per bike and use the money to enforce the rules of the road on Chappies with roving motor cycle traffic officers or something.

If this is the basis to ban cycling on Chappies, they'll have to ban the tour bus operators as well as they are the biggest culprits when it comes to cutting across lanes etc.

From the latest email from PPA there have been numerous complaints of cyclists not adhering to road rules on Chappies. Now there is discussions of a possible ban on cyclists on Chappies. The email mentions complaints by operators. What operators? Its ridiculous that it has come to this because of a few inconsiderate cyclists that think they own the road. What say the hubbers?

Oh please.

Cyclists can be absolute tjops, but I'd expect more errant behaviour by drivers in a single ride on Chappies than by cyclists in half a dozen rides. What's so hard about prosecuting individuals if they break the law? I don't hear about them rushing to ban cars because they break the 20 km/h speed limit or cross the centre barrier line.

As for the management company, these are the people whose deal more or less has taxpayers bent over and are now gouging a chunk from the mountain to put up a building in a national park.

I'd be more interested in why PPA does not seem to be standing up for the interests of its constituents instead of caving in to apparent threats.