Riding without paying

Wobbles

What is your take on riders not entering races and then riding them "unofficially"? The organisers say these riders will be pulled off but in practise this does not seem to happen.

It is just so wrong. Saw a guy in the full pyjama kit we see here in the Cape in one race on a Tarmac SL3 saving 70 bucks riding 80 kms of a race with us. Of course he also did his turn on the front into the wind.

Just plain wrong.

And boy, do they get defensive when asked politely to leave the bunch.

Make them pay on the spot and fine them some extra. If they don't pay there and then (and especially if they cannot produce proof of ID) keep their bikes until they do. They are parasites on those who pay and should expect no mercy.

All pirates should be made to take a long walk off a short plank...

Unless of course they burn, rape and pillage and then sail away...

seen this many times at running races. They run the route, drink the coke and water, collect the medal and t-shirt without paying a cent and think it's acceptable. It's people like this that cause water points to run dry and the back of the pack people suffer because of them. I don't see much difference between these people and people who steal!

The Nike We Run Jozi two weeks ago was my first running race and I was amazed at the amount of freeloaders. So it's not only cycling...

The Nike We Run Jozi two weeks ago was my first running race and I was amazed at the amount of freeloaders. So it's not only cycling...

I once watched a parliment broadcast and was amazed at the amount of freeloaders....

It's bad enough when riders freeload, but even worse when they interfere with the racing like a big Sunday bunch (all on premium brand bikes) did during this years Tour D'Urban, joining the race on the M4 heading south and causing mayhem when the road pointed upwards towards Pinetown.

All pirates should be made to take a long walk off a short plank...

Unless of course they burn, rape and pillage and then sail away...

Around here, they don't sail away, they seem to go back to work like nothing happened once their demands are met.......

What happens if you're just doing your normal ride - say the Smitswinkel route - and you're caught up in the middle of things?

That's just good timing :)

It's bad enough when riders freeload, but even worse when they interfere with the racing like a big Sunday bunch (all on premium brand bikes) did during this years Tour D'Urban, joining the race on the M4 heading south and causing mayhem when the road pointed upwards towards Pinetown.

Bit p!ssed off cause you got dropped?

Earlier this year I rode chappies, then onto ou kaapse weg, where I met up with one of the pre-argus races that uses that route. Rode with a bunch for a while, at the bottom of the hill I ended up pulling one of the leading ladies on the home stretch.

Didn't really think about this being much of an issue at all, just out riding a bike.

I reckon you got a point about doing a race without paying though.