USN for Kids - Twitter war

Thorn199

Have seen USN pushing for some of their products being recognised by both Informed Sport and HFL.

Was the original invite to discus accepted? Why post selected private messages instead of the entire string, for context?

With respect Jarred, you did go on the attack, going by both twitter timelines, don't accuse someone of being personal when you follow that exact same tactic. That aside, the issues raised can hopefully be answered within the context of other products available out there.

So now the ultimate tragedy is can this be pursued objectively? I sincerely hope so.

I did post the entire string. The only message left out that wouldn't fit was my last one which read "Well why is it bothering you so much then?"

I was very happy to see that USN have made applications to Informed Sport and I discussed it with one of the Informed Sport directors in person at a sports medicine conference last week. Only 2 products have been registered though and they are manufactured at a seperate facility as I understand it. The kids shake is not one of them. It certainly is a step in the right direction but don't assume that the whole range is safe because 2 products have been registered.

Anyway, I am tired of all this now. You should all make your own nutrition choices but just arm yourself with the facts first so that those decisions are informed and intelligent.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The warning on the label says KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

post-5455-0-76716800-1350636177_thumb.png

What do the folks at USN have to say about their own advice to keep it out of reach of children, i assume that means dont feed it to children...

Hopefully it was not "just a production mistake" heaven knows what else could go wrong with actual ingredients if they cannot get the labeling right.

WRT to the personal attacks issue, whats happening is laughable in that USN and their supporters have resorted to attacking or attempting to descredit TH, who in most peoples opinions here has raised a legitimate question.

Hopefully it was not "just a production mistake" heaven knows what else could go wrong with actual ingredients if they cannot get the labeling right.

Please explain how printing a label is a "production mistake". Assuming ofcourse you're implying that the label printing/designing is done by the same company involved in the manufacturing??? That is kind of unlogical... No company that manufactures food/nutrition will have label printing or designing equipment in the same factory. Come on, think man.

Please explain how printing a label is a "production mistake". Assuming ofcourse you're implying that the label printing/designing is done by the same company involved in the manufacturing??? That is kind of unlogical... Come on, think man.

The word you were looking for was "illogical"whistling.gif

As a parent, some of you have the choice to provide your children (be it in the morning, or whenever) with:

1. A balanced meal, from a generally well controlled and regulated fresh food, produce and cereals industries. Or
  2. A "shake", from what is an essentially unregulated industry with proven questionable ethics (in the form of marketing strategy and product quality control), promoting a product based around ingredients with relatively untested long-term impacts on health, and with untested compound effects on supplementary nutrient uptake (referring to @Jarradvz's link to the US standards article).

Now there have been instances of "...moms know best...", "...my informed decision...", and I think I even came across the old faithful "...you don't have kids, so you wouldn't understand" (funny how procreating seems to have a direct impact on your ability to disseminate information and/or have an opinion on a matter); so parent folk are clearly punting their much vaunted judgement in this issue.

My relatively tepid point is this:

I take the odd supplement, both in the form of recovery assistance and the odd meal replacement. I also use a sports drink for longer rides, hoping it will push back my (inevitable) encounter with the "wall". However, I do this to my own body, I'm informed regarding the (unknown) potential side-effects, and I try to do it under circumstances of necessity rather than pure convenience.

Those of you who decide on the latter of the two nutritional choices; when exercising this judgement of yours, what aspect of these shakes trumps the responsibility you have to try and ensure your kids health (as far as is practicable <-- yes, that is a word)? I truly see little value in them, besides convenience. Drips are also convenient, so too are catheters (ok, ok; bad hyperbole).

I'm not fishing troll, nor a trolling fish. It's a genuine question, looking for a perspective that I lack on a decision I don't understand. Danger Dassie was quite vocal in his support for the product (being a brand ambassador and all), and got stuck into TimHenman's conduct and integrity during this pelaba, so that'd be a nice one, but anybody would do really.

In hindsight; this subject is getting old, I feel TimHenman has made his point pretty clear regarding his reasons for raising the issue, and congratulate him for doing so. So if you want, ignore this post, and have a look at the sharbeartopus..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2564/3950935746_1282896877.jpg

Help me out, what is my affiliation ?

To be very frank, other than being personally attacked by trolls in this thread (simply because I liked a post), I have made comments based on my own integrity and honesty.

I have not been biased, as you would say, nowhere have I defended USN, read very carefully, I implore you.

@Lamber, thank you for the mature manner in which we could communicate thumbup1.gif

I will however part by saying this, and interpret it it whichever way you please.

Reaching a handful of people on twitter and The Hub is hardly a mission accomplished.

What you have showed however (to me) is a lack of integrity by posting details of direct messages, and I am not saying this from a "biased" angle at all.

Yeah, the problem with anonymity is that everyone suddenly becomes a farking expert and a super hero. I'm neither, which is why I join forums: to learn. thumbup1.gif

Please explain how printing a label is a "production mistake". Assuming ofcourse you're implying that the label printing/designing is done by the same company involved in the manufacturing??? That is kind of unlogical... No company that manufactures food/nutrition will have label printing or designing equipment in the same factory. Come on, think man.

Suggest you take your own advice and think about it, a USN product intended to be used by children has a label on it saying keep it of reach of children

It does not matter who or where the label is done at the end of the day USN are responsible for their end product. This type of mistake or lack of QC is linked IMO to what the OP is trying to get people to realise.

Is this industry unregulated worldwide?...Let's take the US for example. Can we regard a tub of hammer perpetuam as regulated vs Epic Pro which isn't?

Gnarly, I expected you to be a little more mature than that.

This is not a Tim v Dangle scenario.

Perhaps red the whole thread.

Answer to your question, I am an ambassador of the brand, but don't expect me to put my neck on a block for it.

I am far from being a suicide bomber for any brand, whether it being car, bike, supplements ,shoes or whatever wlse

Dangle, what is immature about my questions?

I was just trying to find out if there where any hidden agenda's to why you were protecting the USN brand and as to why Tim was attacking them.

The reason I asked the two of you was because you two seemed the most vocal on this forum.

I was hoping to learn more when a USN representative was to be interviewed on e yesterday. Pity it had to be cancelled because of technical reasons. Hope it's on soon.

Suggest you take your own advice and think about it, a USN product intended to be used by children has a label on it saying keep it of reach of children

It does not matter who or where the label is done at the end of the day USN are responsible for their end product. This type of mistake or lack of QC is linked IMO to what the OP is trying to get people to realise.

Hahahaha....come on Swissie.....even I can see the logic in the label printing.....

"keep out of reach of children".......which means if they find it, they will most likely consume the whole can of stuff. 'Cause it is actually lekker.

So the label just states that the product is not safe in the hands of children. Consumption according to requirements is.

As Deon I must say that if I was threatened like that and believed it was in everybodies best interest to let in on what is truly happening, I might do the same. Why pose as a concerned CEO in public when you are resorting to threats trying to get an inquiry shut down behind closed doors.

I am puzzled by this tactic to threaten someone in privacy, I know it is what big business does, heck it's dog eat dog but to think your threats in writing on a digital platform will not be exposed is just plain naive..

Yip.....trust no one. Not even doctors?

Morning all.

I am to part this topic, but have a few things to add.

Let's see how things unfolded on these pages here, and not outside the hub, but here in this topic.

I made a comment explaining what I understand kids performing at their best means to me (nothing to do with USN)

I explained that it extended beyond just the physical but also the mental aspect.

I liked a post made by gjpowell.

Suddenly wheelerdealer who still has some unsubstantiated claims form a previous "shoot from the hip" comment decides to get personal.

Suddenly all and sundry who have some link to USN is accused of being unbiased and unscrupulous (for a lack of better words)

I get pushed in to a corner with this and decide to give comments trying to defend myself (quite stupid to do when you are dealing with irrational people)

Again, many more hop on to the bandwagon and thing go pear shaped as usual.

I have also noticed that many here don't read posts in depth but rather skim over them picking up stompies.

It's evident in many of their responses.

The only guy here I have managed to communicate with amicably has been Lamber.

Many of you have had some harsh words around USN and it's CEO, yet want to accuse others of becoming very personal.

Touché.

Tim, Jarrad.

Now to finish off with this.

I have no reason nor intent to attack you personally or to try and belittle you just for the sake of fun.

Taking USN out of the equation I am looking at this as unbiased as possible.

You have not been very transparent, your first "attack" on USN and Albe Geldenhuys, you did this on twitter as Tim Hennman, you then later on asked a question regarding the kiddies supplement as Jarrad.

You have made it out that the entire "war" as some call it began when you tweeted as Jarrad.

You feel that people are getting personal.

I will say this for the last time.

ANYONE, who posts detail of pm's ,direct messages, private messages from any media platform is a coward and I think it's very unethical.

Now my advice to you, but please don't stop what you are doing.

If you want to engage in conversations on twitter, very much like the USN CEO, you might want to keep it a little less personal and also perhaps get all your ducks in a row a bit.

Stuff like this :

USN has an association with bodybuilder steroid types and doping scandals at the highest level. Ethics! Leave kids alone.

That's rather moot without any actual proof and also do bear I'm mind that USN is involved in many other sporting arenas.

Athletes at world cup and Olympic level (cyclists)

Irma the USN squirmer wriggled away?

Very mature, I must say.

So name calling and becoming personal only applies to you ?

Ha ha! Albe the USN tough guy has blocked me from following him or seeing his tweets. Pls let me know if he spews forth any more rubbish.

To be very honest, you tweet as an angry individual who simply seems to have a beef and I think with a bit of digging, one could possibly find your real motive.

Looks pretty personal to me.

Their are many companies who make "stuff for kids"

Dangle, what is immature about my questions?

I was just trying to find out if there where any hidden agenda's to why you were protecting the USN brand and as to why Tim was attacking them.

The reason I asked the two of you was because you two seemed the most vocal on this forum.

My apologies if I offended you.

Read my last long winded post.

I mention that people pick up stompies.

If you bothered to read all my posts rather carefully , you would see that in no way have I come out here guns blazing to try and protect the USN brand.

This happens all the time and is exactly the reason why things get completely blown out of context, instead of reading the topic from page 1, they skim over a bit of this and that.

Edited by Dangle

Taking USN out of the equation I am looking at this as unbiased as possible.

Pal, nothing you've said suggests you're unbiased. You are a USN brand ambassador. You are by that very virtue extremely prejudiced in your perspective You can't simply "take it out of the equation", since it appears to be the foundation for your approach on this topic (versus TimHenman rather than the merits of his point).

Wear the hat; you bought it.