The cost of bikes - have we lost touch with reality?

wesley_r

This is an interesting point.

If a "slow" (normally older) rider has the bucks to ride a 100k bike, and a "fast" (normally younger) rider can only afford a 10k bike, does this mean we must automatically look at the older/slower guy as if he doesn't deserve the bike?

Older guys have the money, bike shops have the expensive bikes. Put the two together and you have a win : win situation imo.

I'm an older rider, and I've reached a stage in my life where I buy whatever I want, irrespective of the price. If the racing snake laatie next to me doesn't like it, he can exchange his saddle for a pineapple as far as I am concerned.

That's my take on it.

Hard to argue against this... If the money is burning your pocket I guess why not..

However I still think if a middle/back of the bunch rider has the need to splash this kind of money on a mtb he really is missing the point. You really do not need a R100k bike to have an amazing time on the trails and if its about showing off... nobody is impressed when your R100k spez limps over the finish line in the bottom half of the field, in fact quite the contrary

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

In my experience there are three things that can scratch the dreaded bike upgrade itch:

- Proper bike maintenance(I do mine myself). A smooth running bike won't give you reason for upgrade

- Hard training - The better my condition the less I worry about how technologically advanced my bike is. When you are not training you have lots of time to think about possible upgrades also.

- Saving properly and buying a good bike from the start instead of buying an average bike as soon as you can afford a new one.

Having said that, I have no problem with people dropping cash on an expensive bike. It is their money they have worked for, and no one has the right to judge them for doing that.

Erm you forgot to add that Chain Reactions website should be avoidedblush.png

Not just the upfront cost of the bike, but the ongoing , regular and expected maintanance. We ride these MTBs in conditions and places that are going to hurt the bike's bits. That's part the of deal with our sport, but find myself spending more on bike than car servicing sometimes. Things like 600 ZARS for a tyre is bizarre. With 6 bikes in the family it gets silly.

If there were no expensive bikes what would we drool over, or post on threads ?

So true...

I would never be able to afford the Bianchi Oltre..

But it still gives me a party in my pants every time I see one in the shops...drool.gif

Hie, hie, if you cycle you've lost touch with reality!!

The internal combustion engine has been designed mate!!

Bought a R3500 Fuji Feather a while ago...most fun bike I have ridden in a while and I have a couple of other high spec bikes.

It's crazy the price of bikes.........

Best is to see the newbie's on these 50k bikes battling along. nuke.gif nuke.gif

Never mind the bikes, cycling kit, shoes for example over 3k....

Bought a R3500 Fuji Feather a while ago...most fun bike I have ridden in a while and I have a couple of other high spec bikes.

Cant agree more. Best R3500 Ive ever spent.

What makes me feel ill is when you see school age laaitjies riding these expensive bikes. Guess some of them are sponsored though.

What makes me feel ill is when you see school age laaitjies riding these expensive bikes. Guess some of them are sponsored though.

Please will the guru's put the bike contribution to my race result in perspective:

For 94.7 the last two years I have done 2:59:07 and 2:59:14. Nice and consistent. That is as fast I could go. Gave everything I had. Done on my R3000 9.5kg Raleigh, mid range helmet and Olympic shoes.

Now if I did go and purchase a nice 7kg carbon bike with SRAM Red at say R35 000 what would be the effect on :

1. My time

2. My experience of the ride

What other items should I purchase to improve 1 or 2.

Now you know why everyone says that the importers are the problem. But get used to this as they will hide behind Rand/$ exchange rates again.

Bikes globally have got stupidly expensive. At a time R35k was the maximum, then R50k, then R 70k. There are road bikes at up to R113k.

Its not only SA though. Top of the line bikes in the USA are now $8 - $9k, whereas they were previously $3-$5k.

Those carbon rims, taht new 650b etc. Someboday has to pay for the R&D.

Remember how expensive the first dual suspension 29ers were.?

It comes back to the old story - If I told you the price of a car is R 1 million, you probably would look at me skew. If I told you the car I was selling was a Ferrari 599 GTO you would see it as a bargain.

So price is relative to percieved value.

And given the chance 99% of the people on this list would take that Scott if given it at a price that was higher than they could afford cause you think that a 650 arbon bike is great. Otherwise you wouldnt be poting about it.

Its got nothing to do with your riding abilities.

And that changes

as that oke of Stellies mentioned... it all depends were you live. (Stellies -guy, am I right?)

Here on the west coast people are still measured by who you are and not by what you own.

Every weekend I see these single riders with their super expensive bikes fitted with all the bells and whistles.

My best friend is my cycling app. type of guys.

Normally I will stop and invite them to our outings. And normally they will ask what I ride... and I can see the lights dimming when I mention I ride a 10 year old road bike.

Sorry for them, but they miss out on a lot of camaraderie.

I like The V's opinions.

Bought mine cash (Falco) for 20k. But had to discuss it with my wife first. She agreed but I had to agree to buying her new lounge furniture next year for the same amount... Fair enough for me. I think it also depends on what is important for you. I dont mind not having a flatscreen tv and dstv and would rather spend that money on cycling gadgets monthly or save for an upgrade.